CJ Fredrick

Ok all you Portal chicken-littles.

No comment about Filip Rebraca?

A 6' 9" 3-year/74-game starter/2nd team all-conference vs an oft-injured guard....fair trade so far?

Last edited:
People are more mad about how it went down,,, no one was bitching at nunge.

This one seemed greasy.
I wasn't commenting on the CJ Portal-on-goings.

I was again retorting to the "Portal is the death of NCAA BB/Iowa BB as we know it" mantra.

Just isn't true. The Portal will reach equilibrium. It's already starting to.

Those two bolded sentences to me indicate a meddling uncle that shouldn't be talking to Iowa staff in the first place. Why is a "kid's" uncle doing this communication and not the "kid"?
His uncle is absolutely hurting everyone involved by saying anything. Just make the move and realize that like a bad relationship people are going to be butthurt. CJ has banked a lot of good will from most Iowa fans and let it go at that. Fran and Iowa also need to be smiling through the breakup even when CJ shows up with his new partner. Smile and wave boys.

I'd seen an interview with BJ Armstrong and he said that he did initially think about looking around. But after talking to Davis, Marble and Horton they all kinda decided together to stay and make a go of it. His system fit them perfectly obviously. But it wasn't a foregone thing that they'd all just stay though. Not to BJ anyway.

But they actually communicated amongst each other by sitting down and talking. Not through social media of all things...
Marble was talking to his dad about Cleveland State, which was hot off a sweet sixteen run and featured an uptempo pressing attack where everyone crashed the offensive glass and could create off the dribble. Depending on who listen to, there style was called either run and stun or funk and dunk.

Roy's dad reminded his son that head coach Kevin Mackey was a former Davis assistant who learned that style under Mr. Davis. Everyone and their brother seems to either forget or never knew that Davis and Bruce Pearl at first tried to recruit the same type of athlete needed to run that system. But injuries and/or off the court problems dogged many early Davis recruits like Rodell Davis, Brian Garner, Ray Thompson, Michael Ingram, and Curtis Cuthpert. Acie Earl was down to his last strike as well before he straightened out his act enough to appease Davis.

I promised myself to get off this thread until fall. However I see all of this lather about losing Fredrick. Fredick who? 8 points a game and can barely keep him on the court. Trying not to trash the kid good guy from what I have seen however ya all hawks fans you are not losing John Johnson or Freddie Brown or for you Boilers Rick Mount. Not a Franny Fan either with his recruting time to get on with the kids on the roster (please not Bohannon) who are athletes who can play defense chew gum and create their own shots. I always go back to the team Raveling recruited and Davis got the opportunity to pull off those kids could bury a three however they could rebound and play straight up defense utopia.

Damn

Which is stupid since they also choose a school to get a degree. Just a sad state of affairs. I like the idea of grads being able to pull a russell wilson but that is where it needs to stop.
Let's be honest basketball comes first the degrees come a distant second, if even a factor.

Wonder who Uncle Joe has lined up for Coach Cal, when CJ's dealing with injuries and can't seem to stay in the lineup.

Let's be honest basketball comes first the degrees come a distant second, if even a factor.

Well very few of these players in all of college ball will make any money playing Bball after college and you know it and I know it so they better also go to a school that gets them a good degree for them.

Well very few of these players in all of college ball will make any money playing Bball after college and you know it and I know it so they better also go to a school that gets them a good degree for them.
I'm totally with you. But when you're an 18-22 alpha male who's only heard how good he is since you started playing and had your ass kissed by those around you and others trying to get you to sign its easy to forget.

Is this legit? I could see it being true I just haven't heard of it. I was watching games looking for that sort of thing. I didn't really like it when PM was the first guy off the bench over Murray sometimes. That seemed head scratching.. But overall when those two played poorly Fran didn't hesitate to yank them. That happened a few times.
I too question whether this is legit. But anytime the coach has kid(s) on their team people will talk, and there will be jealousy. Let's be honest, both Patrick M. and Keegan M. are stars in the making. Maybe I see things differently than lots of fans, but I believe PM has moves that I haven't seen in CHA for a long time. Same as Garza of course. I loved CJ's game, his injuries made things hard for him, but I would rather have a healthy duo of PM and KM any day.

I too question whether this is legit. But anytime the coach has kid(s) on their team people will talk, and there will be jealousy. Let's be honest, both Patrick M. and Keegan M. are stars in the making. Maybe I see things differently than lots of fans, but I believe PM has moves that I haven't seen in CHA for a long time. Same as Garza of course. I loved CJ's game, his injuries made things hard for him, but I would rather have a healthy duo of PM and KM any day.
PM has put on significant weight too over the last yr or 2. As he grows into his frame I really love what he's capable of. We've seen a little bit of it with his running the floor dunking and blocking some shots. Once he gets a little more consistent with his jumper and shot selection sky is the limit for him.

You're right just the fact there's not 1 but 2 coaches kids on the roster will lend towards the fair weather fans to be skeptical. I don't care about those fans so long as the team itself is all on the same page. If CJ wasn't happy with PT and how he was being used then fine. I didn't see it. I thought he played a boat load. But he's gone now so hopefully that clears all that up