CJ Fredrick

those shots of game film showed CJ with a bit more quickness that I thought he had. Good. our team needs quickness.

This kid is a high level recruit with high major offers. He may not be the lock down perimeter defender or penetrating guard this team desperately needs but he is a guard with size that can score and this team can use that. Getting 2 of them next year is even better.

those shots of game film showed CJ with a bit more quickness that I thought he had. Good. our team needs quickness.
He might be slightly quicker than Brady, but their games are very very similar. That doesn't mean he won't end up better than Ellingson, but I'll remain skeptical for the time being.

Last edited:
He might be slightly quicker than Brady, but their games are very very similar. That doesn't mean he won't end up better than Ellingson, but I'll remain skeptical for the time being.
Once again we have similar thoughts on a kid. He seems like another Ellingson/Oglesby/Devin Bawinkel/Ryan Hogan type of player to me. Maybe he's a tad more athletic but will it be enough to be more than what those guys were? I'm not sure what level of play he's up against in KY but till I see him in a Hawk uniform that's where my expectations of his game are.

hey, i'm skeptical. I said he looked quicker. is he quicker than BE? Dunno. I'm really disappointed with BE. But I think BE is not playing due to his lack of quickness and foot speed. Otherwise, BE is a smart and heady player.

How is he doing by the way. I know Cook used him as a speed bump in practice and I think he was hurting pretty bad.
I forgot all about this kid.
Good Q. He's redshirting along with Nunge. He'll get some PT next yr but kinda depends on Moss. If he stays he may not play a ton next yr either depending on how they rotate guys. However I could see him on the floor with JW at the 4 with a small lineup out there too. With Baer graduating there's some mins to be spread out. Just depends because we'll also have Pemsl back and maybe maybe maybe even Cook... Not holding my breath on that but it's not impossible he don't come back

I was going to bring up Cook. Is there a chance he plays his senior year? I would say no, but the one area he needed to improve is his mid range shot...and up to this point...it's not considerably better. Teams are really sagging on him right now to stop him from going to the hole...so he has to start taking and hitting that shot. To me, that's how he becomes and NBA player. He's really improved his handle and rebounding...but his jumper isn't where it needs to be...yet.

I was going to bring up Cook. Is there a chance he plays his senior year? I would say no, but the one area he needed to improve is his mid range shot...and up to this point...it's not considerably better. Teams are really sagging on him right now to stop him from going to the hole...so he has to start taking and hitting that shot. To me, that's how he becomes and NBA player. He's really improved his handle and rebounding...but his jumper isn't where it needs to be...yet.

moss looks like he's progressed more than cook, to me. but could see both leaving with the idea they could make a pile of cash in Europe, at minimum. if they both come back, then watch out. getting Nunge back (at almost 7'0"/240), CJF with his shooting, we could be a nightmare team. but, assuming they both leave, then you'd still have a 3 main post rotation of Garza, Kriener and Nunge (Garza the only true 5) and you would replace Moss with CJF.

I may be way off here (I often am) but I think as long as T. Cook is told by a few in the league that he'll be drafted in a decent round, he'll be gone.
I don't see Cook settling for Euro-ball.

I may be way off here (I often am) but I think as long as T. Cook is told by a few in the league that he'll be drafted in a decent round, he'll be gone.
I don't see Cook settling for Euro-ball.

In a decent round? You realize there are only 2 rounds in the NBA draft. It used to be that there were many more. In the '60s there were 21 rounds; in the '70s it was "limited" to 10 rounds.

In a decent round? You realize there are only 2 rounds in the NBA draft. It used to be that there were many more. In the '60s there were 21 rounds; in the '70s it was "limited" to 10 rounds.
Yeah, there is only 2 rounds, but second round contracts aren't guaranteed, and most of them don't make 13 man rosters. Just ask Aaron White what "getting drafted" really means.\

So in my opinion if you aren't first round talent, why not try one more year at college to improve your status. Generally speaking you get one crack at the NBA, make the first round of the draft and teams are then compelled to try and see you succeed.

I think there is a chance yeah. Probably not a great one but what you said sums his game up. I still don't see an NBA team wanting him as is.... If he leaves to go to the NBA as a goal it'd be the wrong move. If going to Europe, G League or somewhere else is and he's ok with then he's probably gone.

There are a ton of 6-8 to 6-10 athletic guys out there. But unless you have a jumper and more of an offensive game or have a Reggie Evansish hustle game he'll get caught up in the wash... Even a guy like Reggie Evans would have a tough time getting into todays NBA I bet....

After seeing Sunday's shooting display and realizing there's a possibility we'll only lose Cook and Baer, CJ could add another elite shooter to the roster and potentially make us an even better shooting team next season. Here's to hoping he shoots >48% from 3 in college too!

Not quite this bad, is it? :)

I’m not sure yet how CJ fits in the mix.

With JBo, Connor, Moss, Dailey and Joe all back, I don’t see a lot of minutes available at the wings next year.

The following year, there certainly will be an opportunity. My concern is I don’t know that CJ is athletic enough to play the 2 and Joes a good defender but I don’t want him moving to the 2 either. I think CJ could be the backup 3 to Joe.

Hopefully we can recruit a more athletic 2.

Connor/Joe T

Joe W/CJ
Nunge/Patrick
Garza

Latest posts