CJ Fredrick Patterns His Game After...

I get losing Bohannon, Baer, Cook, & Moss is going to impact us in alot of areas. The more I thought about this though...there are scenarios where if players step up...you could argue we are better on both ends of the court. Hear me out.

If Pemsl and Nunge come back a better version of themselves, stronger, more experienced, and motivated...then you could argue that these two make up for the loss of Cook. I think they are easily as good defensively...maybe better rebounders, Nunge brings a 3 point shot to the mix...and a high basketball IQ. Pemsl brings attitude and work ethic. The other wildcard to me is Ryan Kreiner. If he improves in all areas...this guy can shoot it...he put it on the deck last year...and he battles. With Garza, Pemsl, Nunge, & Kreiner, I personally think we are much better in the front court going into next year.

Losing both Bohannon and Moss is a killer. No doubt this is the biggest question mark. Huge. That being said, Connor Mac was a freshman last year. He showed what he can bring to the table...a big physical guard who will take smaller players to the basket...and will rebound. He can run the show...but he has to be able to shoot...teams will sag on him until he shows he can hurt them with the 3 ball.

Then you throw in the combination of Toussaint and CJ...this is where it gets interesting. Toussaint brings something Iowa just hasn't had in a long time...a tough, quick, facilitator on the offensive end and an aggressive defensive guard on the other end who can stop penetration. Something tells me CJ is going to make us forget about Moss's shooting. He's a gamer...you just get that feeling. Moss leaving may also have something to do with CJ having to get playing time. With Toussaint penetrating and having CJ, Weiskamp, and Nunge sitting on the 3 point line...well...someone's going to be open if Toussaint can consistently draw help defense.

To me...next year is an interesting year and could surprise alot of people.

I agree with all of your points. Entirely possible on every point and I certainly hope things work out the way you have laid things out. I see the B1Gs under the basket exceeding last years productivity on both ends of the court. In fact I find that being highly likely because both Pemsl and Nunge bring more to the plate with their overall game then Cook did.

I also hope the guard position pans out the way you are saying. As you point out this is the B1G question mark. If Fran’s two boys turn out to be ballers and the other young guys can bring it then we could actually be better. I would love for this be true. Time will tell.

Cook gone, Moss gone, Dailey gone, and Bo out from surgery. “as good or better”........... seriously??? Did we finally leave the Big Ten conference?

Guard play has been a major challenge for our team especially on the defensive end of the court. If the new guys can at least guard then that could have a significant affect on the over all team. The loss of Cook, Moss, and Bo is going to significant on the offensive side of the court, but on the defensive side I will agree that in THAT respect we could actually be better. If we are worse then it could be really ugly.
It is a team game, with new leaders, let's see how it gells. We didn't win a title last year. Pistol Pete might take the team on his back!

It is a team game, with new leaders, let's see how it gells. We didn't win a title last year. Pistol Pete might take the team on his back!
Be careful what you wish for.:) Maravich, for all his flash and scoring production, was never a big winner in college or the NBA.

Maravich died at age 40 from a heart attack. He had a congenital heart defect, a missing left aorta. It just goes to show you never know what today may bring. He became a devout Christian before he died.

coronary-arteries-12leads-2-728.jpg

He was born without an LAD. There's just the one aorta in most of us.

coronary-arteries-12leads-2-728.jpg

He was born without an LAD. There's just the one aorta in most of us.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-01-12-sp-35209-story.html

Litvack said the largest study of defects such as the one Maravich had included only 43 patients, 34 of whom died before they turned 20--many of them people who dropped dead, as Maravich did, after engaging in vigorous exercise. Interestingly, Litvack and other experts said, the condition can often be undetectable even if a suspected victim is subjected to a treadmill stress test, in which the subject walks on a treadmill while electronic equipment monitors his heart function.

Monday, however, the autopsy finding ruled that the total lack of a left coronary artery system gradually took a toll on the muscle tissue of Maravich's heart. Over time, the heart accumulated a quantity of fiber-like tissue, which led to a deterioration of the heart muscle in a condition called cardiomyopathy, in which the heart is unnaturally enlarged and weakened. Dr. Paul Thompson, a sudden death expert at Brown University in Rhode Island, said his reaction to the Maravich finding was one of near disbelief. "This (type of episode) is characteristic of the 16-year-old who collapses during a football game," Thompson said. "But for a guy to go 10 years in the NBA and have a congenital anomaly like that is, to say the least, very unusual.

25 pounds is a lot to gain in one year. I'm predicting he is an all around better player than Moss next year.

CJ and Nunge are the keys to next season. They need to be good to remove pressure from the PG spot as well as help Joe and Garza in scoring.

Hopefully, the extra quickness at the point guard position will remove some pressure on CJ and Nunge. It should help open things up for Joe and Garza. They should be fun to watch, but it remains to be seen how it will all work out.