CJ 2015 vs 2016

atxhawk

Was curious as to what CJ's numbers this year as compared to last years were, so I pulled them up and compared them through 9 games.

ATT COMP YDS CMP% YPA YPC TD INT RUSH YDS TD
2015 145 241 1831 60.17% 7.60 12.63 9 4 62 218 4
2016 136 227 1584 59.91% 6.98 11.65 13 5 62 -29 2
DIFF -9 -14 -247 -0.25% -0.62 -0.98 4 1 0 -247 -2

This year he has 3 games of 200 yards with 235 against ISU being his highest total. Last year he had 6 with a high of 278 vs North Texas, he also had that horrid game against Wisconsin when he finished 9-21 for 77 yards.

Discuss

Last edited:
Was curious as to what CJ's numbers this year as compared to last years were, so I pulled them up and compared them through 9 games.

This year he has 3 games of 200 yards with 235 against ISU being his highest total. Last year he had 6 with a high of 278 vs North Texas, he also had that horrid game against Wisconsin when he finished 9-21 for 77 yards.

Discuss

Pretty similar really, except for one, and it makes all the difference. The glaring one to me is rush yards. 247 yard difference. There were a TON of drive sustaining runs by CJ last year when protection broke down or noone was open, many were 3rd down conversions. We are 7-2 or 8-1 with even half the running yards of last year. This year it seems he holds too long and eats a sack, waits just a 1/2 second to long to throw, or takes off to run a fraction to late.

Same as with Tate & Stanzi. The numbers look similar, but any observer can see the playmaking skill has gone. Fearless has become tentative. "Make a key play" replaced by "don't risk a turnover".

Why? "Go with your instinct" gives way to "listen to your coach".

You'd view those and say, hmm, about the same guy. However, statistics are for losers. He had a Favre-like verve to him 2 years ago, but they've been slowly sucking the life of him to the point he's unrecognizable. Agree, no turnovers is paramount to this staff. Zombie CJ. Nate Stanley should be paying attention.

Discuss

YPA is 6.98 in 2016. That's not good enough. We really need to be closer to 8 ypa (2015 was 7.6 ypa). Also, factor in CJ isn't nearly as mobile or extending the play and those are big differences.

Pretty similar really, except for one, and it makes all the difference. The glaring one to me is rush yards. 247 yard difference. There were a TON of drive sustaining runs by CJ last year when protection broke down or noone was open, many were 3rd down conversions. We are 7-2 or 8-1 with even half the running yards of last year. This year it seems he holds too long and eats a sack, waits just a 1/2 second to long to throw, or takes off to run a fraction to late.

I agree. Last year, he kept plays, drives...games alive by taking off when the defense gave him the chance. It's really been night and day.

Here are stats for 2015 and 2016:

You'd view those and say, hmm, about the same guy. However, statistics are for losers. He had a Favre-like verve to him 2 years ago, but they've been slowly sucking the life of him to the point he's unrecognizable. Agree, no turnovers is paramount to this staff. Zombie CJ. Nate Stanley should be paying attention.

Agree and the joke is we lose games many times even when we win or tie the turnover battle. Against Wisconsin we had a 1-0 advantage and lost not scoring a single TD. PSU we only turned it over once and got stomped. During the 4-8 season we finished in the top 10 nationally for turnover margin.

If you take no risks it absolutely sucks the life out of our teams. There's no fun in the game for the players.

I maintain that somewhere in KFz's youth...he was embarrassed by a coach after making some kind of mistake, fumbling the ball, or something...and it left a permanent emotional scar. Maybe Belichick backed him into the showers or something when he was on that staff.

The guy is so fixated on control and risk management that it takes the fun out of the game...not to mention, killing the product.

Last edited:
I maintain that somewhere in KFz's youth...he was embarrassed by a coach after making some kind of mistake, fumbling the ball, or something...and it left a permanent emotional scar. Maybe Belichick backed him into the showers or something when he was on that staff.

The guy is so fixated on control and risk management that it takes the fun out of the game...not to mention, killing the product.

yep, cant treat football game like a chess match. football is thought ahead of time then total reaction whereas chess is total thought where you can play conservative and defensively. Laying back in football hardly ever works. It has worked for the hawks the 5 or 6 years when they had an outstanding defense and just enough offense.

2002 and 2009 they had it all. Last year they had an above avg defense and a better than usual offense with a weak schedule. That is what hawk fans are hopeful for, the great defense, well KF better get some better faster athletes.

Jaleel Johnson is a beast this year if they had fast blitzers and great defensive ends so JJ couldnt be double teamed.

As much as the season is over this team could beat a much more immensely talented Michigan team but they will never come within 30 if they play with this cowardly approach coach Ferentz employs every time he thinks he going to have a good team. No risk, no reward.

This season has been a lifeless embodiment of a program that is devoid of fun and energy. That was completely sucked out when the head coach employed his stifling risk management approach. No more gun slinging, slide instead of run, sit in the pocket instead of get out on the edge, play safe instead of with your hair on fire, play the safe guy instead of the play maker, use technique instead of getting after someone until they quit. It's a world view of living scared instead of seizing the moment and it fails big time every time it's employed.

yep, cant treat football game like a chess match. football is thought ahead of time then total reaction whereas chess is total thought where you can play conservative and defensively. Laying back in football hardly ever works. It has worked for the hawks the 5 or 6 years when they had an outstanding defense and just enough offense.

2002 and 2009 they had it all. Last year they had an above avg defense and a better than usual offense with a weak schedule. That is what hawk fans are hopeful for, the great defense, well KF better get some better faster athletes.

Jaleel Johnson is a beast this year if they had fast blitzers and great defensive ends so JJ couldnt be double teamed.

Davis and Ferentz are playing checkers, our decent opponents are playing chess.

Why do the fool coaches not let CJ bootleg out and just run a few downfield to get some momentum? Why not, he's gonna get hit might as well make it a gain rather than a sack?

A couple things....3rd down conversions 36%, down from 42% last year. That's a huge drop. It was 47% at home last year and this year....34%. Secondly, I don't know what CJ's doing or being 'coached' because the protection wasn't any better last year than it is this year, but CJ would step away from pressure last year and this year he steps right into it. Look at the first sack of the PSU game. Yeah, Boettger got driven back, but all CJ has to do is step to his right and has his TE wide open, but he steps right into the guy....Don't get it. Been happening all year. He made quick decision much more often last year and made plays. Would really like to know the 'inside story' to this....

A couple things....3rd down conversions 36%, down from 42% last year. That's a huge drop. It was 47% at home last year and this year....34%. Secondly, I don't know what CJ's doing or being 'coached' because the protection wasn't any better last year than it is this year, but CJ would step away from pressure last year and this year he steps right into it. Look at the first sack of the PSU game. Yeah, Boettger got driven back, but all CJ has to do is step to his right and has his TE wide open, but he steps right into the guy....Don't get it. Been happening all year. He made quick decision much more often last year and made plays. Would really like to know the 'inside story' to this....

I too have wondered how CJ seems to have no sense for the pressure. Strange.

Nearly two years of taken shots has finally taken its toll. It is easier to absorb blows when guys are getting open and they aren't dropping passes.

Nearly two years of taken shots has finally taken its toll. It is easier to absorb blows when guys are getting open and they aren't dropping passes.
Ah, so your saying he has a 'brain' injury.........got'cha.....Yup, CJ has never played like shit, it's all on his receivers and his line.......good grief, you're stupid.....

... He made quick decision much more often last year and made plays. Would really like to know the 'inside story' to this....
Peripheral vision issue? Don't know exactly. Watched the 1st half of the CCG last nite and the one thing I noticed was that CJ would move towards the LOS more often where as this year he seems to sit farther back in the pocket.

Peripheral vision issue? Don't know exactly. Watched the 1st half of the CCG last nite and the one thing I noticed was that CJ would move towards the LOS more often where as this year he seems to sit farther back in the pocket.
I think he may have developed a case of this:

pussyitis

a disease that targets the male species and causes them to be more like the female of the species.

symptoms
-no longer enjoying the taste of beer.
-no longer liking sports.
-agreeing with your wife.
-listening to your wife.
-choosing to be with your wife instead of drinking beer with the guys/team after the game.
-unquenchable urge to shave your box 24/7.

Latest posts