Citrus Bowl Game Column

Like I wrote in my column, there is nuance and context to most discussions. That's true here.

Iowa is not going to land five-star receivers or top guys in the portal at the position unless, perhaps, it throws ridiculous amounts of money at them. Even then, what are the Hawkeyes selling to accomplished guys at the position other than a vision? Iowa has to identify and develop there.

McNutt and DJK were high school quarterbacks and the former started out here as a QB. Martin-Manley was a MAC recruit. ISM, Brandon Smith, Tevaun Smith, Solomon, Hinkel...go down the list of guys that have succeeded at the position here, none were blue chippers with impressive offer lists.

Hopefully some of the guys that have come in during the last few classes will develop. Like I said, I think Kaleb Brown has a high ceiling but he needs to start catching passes daily from the jugs.

I don't know what the heck is going on at OL but we're a long way from Reese Morgan and BF coaching the position. Injuries factor in at every spot. The unit was experienced this season and still looked shaky against good competition with guys who are multiple-year starters.

Agree completely on QB. If Philbin is the hire, a QB coach must be added. I'm out on Budmayr after the last few seasons.
Agree totally with Phibin comment. I don’t known if the QB coach from Utah would be interested in a lateral move but that combination would be great! That QB that he coached up at Utah was among the elite QB’s until he got hurt. He is also young enough to move up the ladder at Iowa when Kirk finally retires. Also if chosen , when Phibin retires. Neither one are young pups anymore.

Kirk needs to be thinking about the future of the program when he retires.

Turns out that a lot of people tuned in...more that several other games.

View attachment 10607

The only bad publicity is no publicity.

Every time the DeSantis dumpster fire commercial comes on, my smart ass 10 year old says: "they're replaying Iowa's bowl game again."

Every time the DeSantis dumpster fire commercial comes on, my smart ass 10 year old says: "they're replaying Iowa's bowl game again."
Now, Dawg, that there comment from your youngster is really funny

That’s funny. I was back in Iowa for my father’s memorial service. We checked in to the Marriot on the West Side. Just by chance DeSantis’s bus pulled into the same motel. The next morning I grabbed breakfast and stepped out into the glassed in foyer. I seen that his tour bus was still and an Iowa highway patrol man sitting out side with his lights on. Figured they would be leaving soon. A nice black SUV suddenly pulled right in front of where I was standing.

A secrete service agent jumps out of Limo SUV and opens the back door and just stand there. I turned around to head back into the hotel.lobby and here he comes with another secrret agent with me. I said hi to him. He responded by reaching out to shake my hand. He asked my name and where I was from. He then stepped outside and got into the black SUV and then they left.

We were checking out due to him desecrating the hotel (I kid, I kid). My wife had to be back at work the next day in Utah and we had flights to catch.

How many on here would gladly take an NCAA investigation in return for a talent like that at QB? Not that we would likely use him effectively, but ahhh, to dream....