Chuck Long

58556293.jpg

Weren't most of Oklahoma's most explosive offenses under Long as OC?

After the 2001 season, Long was promoted to Oklahoma's offensive coordinator position. Oklahoma won the Rose Bowl following the 2002 season, and in 2003, the Sooners set a Big 12 Conference record by averaging 51.5 points per game.

Long became available for the 2012 season when Turner Gill was fired at Kansas. Kansas didn't score much. Both took a death sentence by going to Kansas. Gill was probably a pretty good coach and was HC at very tough places to win.

After the 2001 season, Long was promoted to Oklahoma's offensive coordinator position. Oklahoma won the Rose Bowl following the 2002 season, and in 2003, the Sooners set a Big 12 Conference record by averaging 51.5 points per game.

Long became available for the 2012 season when Turner Gill was fired at Kansas. Kansas didn't score much. Both took a death sentence by going to Kansas. Gill was probably a pretty good coach and was HC at very tough places to win.

I believe Long was actually Co-Offensive Coordinator at OU. WAS Mangino the other Co in the duo? If so, he may have proved out to be the better of the two, since he actually won at KU AND Long didn't at a lower level.

He MAY be a pretty good OC, but he didn't have a lot to work with at KU. I would debate whether Turner Gill was an above average high level D1 coach. He was absolutely horrible at KU, and didn't recruit half the talent Mangino, who is three times the coach that Gill is, did.

I believe Long was actually Co-Offensive Coordinator at OU. WAS Mangino the other Co in the duo? If so, he may have proved out to be the better of the two, since he actually won at KU AND Long didn't at a lower level.

He MAY be a pretty good OC, but he didn't have a lot to work with at KU. I would debate whether Turner Gill was an above average high level D1 coach. He was absolutely horrible at KU, and didn't recruit half the talent Mangino, who is three times the coach that Gill is, did.

Mangino was OC at OK until 2001 and Long promoted in 2002. Gill likely left Buffalo too early.

Going to Kansas was like stepping into the fiery furnace without Jesus right there inside the furnace with him. It was a dumpster fire. Imagine if Chizek had a couple of really good years at ISU and then following him. People forget that Mangino was 50-48 at KU. Take away 1 year and he was 38-47.

Gill has shared/won the conference championship 3 of 4 years and I think was 2nd or 3rd the other. It can't be easy to recruit to Liberty.

I've wondered this for a long time. I think KF and Long just don't see eye to eye and KF won't hire him. And Long having been a HC and OC there's little chance he'd take any position lower than that. He seems content doing TV stuff for the BTN. He doesn't seem to have the coaching bug or he'd have gotten back in the game by now

Why would Chucker want to step in front of the Iowa train wreck? We only recruit 2 star players. What is he going to do with that?

Latest posts