Chip Kelly to O$U

NorthKCHawk

Wowza, this story has a lot of facets to it. Kelly was not fired as UCLA's head coach. He had the option to come back next year even though he has been basically .500 in his time there. But, he decided to quit his gig as the head coach of UCLA to become the OC at USC????

Obviously, he and Day are buddies and I am sure he will be paid about as high as any OC, but I cannot imagine they are outpaying UCLA as a head coach? I am guessing he sees the writing on the way that he will likely be fired next year and perhaps he has decided he can't recruit the athletes he needs to run his offense? The college football landscape is just nutso of late.

Wowza, this story has a lot of facets to it. Kelly was not fired as UCLA's head coach. He had the option to come back next year even though he has been basically .500 in his time there. But, he decided to quit his gig as the head coach of UCLA to become the OC at USC????

Obviously, he and Day are buddies and I am sure he will be paid about as high as any OC, but I cannot imagine they are outpaying UCLA as a head coach? I am guessing he sees the writing on the way that he will likely be fired next year and perhaps he has decided he can't recruit the athletes he needs to run his offense? The college football landscape is just nutso of late.

Also kind of funny he'll be the OC at a school in the BIG who UCLA is joining. Doesn't happen too often.

From what I know, UCLA is way behind on any kind of payroll funding/roster management infrastructure. You are absolutely screwed as a coach short term at any school like that right now.

And in related news, Bill O'Brien to BC as head coach.

Our guy Bri land in Boston as the OL coach?

The only economically rational explanation for the move is that something has occurred that is going to get UCLA in trouble and he has a bad feeling about getting paid his buyout due to breaching the "For Cause" termination clause in the employment agreement. Otherwise the move makes absolutely no sense because the buyout alone was probably worth far more than Ohio could pay him.

The only economically rational explanation for the move is that something has occurred that is going to get UCLA in trouble and he has a bad feeling about getting paid his buyout due to breaching the "For Cause" termination clause in the employment agreement. Otherwise the move makes absolutely no sense because the buyout alone was probably worth far more than Ohio could pay him.
He's old. He has made a ton of money already. Maybe he just wants to play at the highest level and compete for championships, and he know first hand that is not going to happen in a place that is second fiddle in its own city, let alone the challenge of joining a real conference. You could be right, but there is only so much money these guys can spend in a lifetime. Going out a winner after a long career maybe what he wants.

He might also just want to call plays and not be the CEO? As I get older, I am willing to trade money for getting rid of parts of my job I hate!

Its a fascinating development.

Dude has been trying to find a new gig since the season ended. He hit up KF about our OC spot for peats sake. He was desperate to get out of there evidently. Not sure why. Give him talent and he can call plays. That's never been an issue for him. It's everything else he's had issues with so going back to being just an OC with OSU level talent.... That could be a good marriage possibly...

Who wants the UCLA gig? Matt Campbell?

Apparently, OSU has to pay only 1.5 million for the buyout. I am just reading about all this stuff now, so I may be missing something. IMO, it is the perfect time for Chip Kelly to get out of Dodge.

He's old. He has made a ton of money already. Maybe he just wants to play at the highest level and compete for championships, and he know first hand that is not going to happen in a place that is second fiddle in its own city, let alone the challenge of joining a real conference. You could be right, but there is only so much money these guys can spend in a lifetime. Going out a winner after a long career maybe what he wants.

He might also just want to call plays and not be the CEO? As I get older, I am willing to trade money for getting rid of parts of my job I hate!

Its a fascinating development.
I have heard coaches explain it sucks coaching in LA due to where the campuses are with the commute. They don't like it too well.

Dude has been trying to find a new gig since the season ended. He hit up KF about our OC spot for peats sake. He was desperate to get out of there evidently. Not sure why. Give him talent and he can call plays. That's never been an issue for him. It's everything else he's had issues with so going back to being just an OC with OSU level talent.... That could be a good marriage possibly...

Nah. I think Campbell would rather go east and stop somewhere between Notre Dame or Ohio St.

He was a lame duck coach going into the 24-25 season…he could see the writing on the wall.

If I am Matt Campbell I am not taking that gig. As far as football is concerned, UCLA will likely turn into Purdue.

He was a lame duck coach going into the 24-25 season…he could see the writing on the wall.

If I am Matt Campbell I am not taking that gig. As far as football is concerned, UCLA will likely turn into Purdue.
He already has the Purdue job. Its just in Ames.

As for the UCLA gig, its in a real conference, with real money, and there aint much snow in Southern California. There are worse jobs out there, like the one he currently has.

He already has the Purdue job. Its just in Ames.

As for the UCLA gig, its in a real conference, with real money, and there aint much snow in Southern California. There are worse jobs out there, like the one he currently has.

I see your point. Given the landscape of college athletics currently and where it is trending, it is a smart move to get ahead of it. A job you wouldn’t consider 5 years ago, is in play now.

Last edited:

Latest posts