CHICAGO HAWKEYE TAILGATE PARTY SAT, AUG 27

Hawkeyenthechi

HAWKEYENATION UNITE!!!

Are you ready? The Iowa Hawkeye Football season is almost here. What better way to kick this thing off than with a pre-season tailgate party the weekend before opening day.

Jack & Ginger's in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago is opening as an official Hawkeye bar and this place is gonna rock. It's equipped with more than 20 flat screens, a massive beer garden, flippy cup / beer pong table, bags, fooseball and real dartboards. They've even bought a billboard promoting their spot as the best U of I bar in Chicago.

J&G will be serving up some Iowa tailgate classics like Pork On A Stick, Big *** Turkey Legs. and Walking Tacos. On a liquid diet? There will be beer, shot and cocktail specials all day. With Classic Iowa Football Games being played throughout the day and tailgate anthems raining from the speakers, it'll feel like Iowa City just skeet skeet skeeted all over you.

They will also be raffling off a pair of tix for the opening game against Tenn Tech. Hope to see you all in a few weeks to kick off the 2011 season right.

GO HAWKS!

P.S. - Believe it or not I do not work for this bar. Just ready for a better gameday experience at a Chicago bar and this is it.

DETAILS BELOW

Saturday, August 27th
NOON - MIDNIGHT
Jack & Gingers Bar and Grill
2048 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60647
(773)227-6300

Is this a new place? Is it near the Map Room? Just curious. Sounds like it could be a good place to catch a Hawk game this fall.

Is this a new place? Is it near the Map Room? Just curious. Sounds like it could be a good place to catch a Hawk game this fall.

New place where Cleo's used to be 1/2 block east and on the other side of the street of Map Room.

So being that barleycorn in wrigleyville has been overkill that last few seasons, and my hawkeye crew has dwindled to only a few, I was excited to see a new venue to check out.. But I just went to their website, and I don't see anything indicating this bar is tied to Iowa.. I would hate to show up on game day fired up to watch and hear my hawkeyes, and get one or two tvs dedicated to them...

I've also never been to four shadows.. It looks small, but fun..

Wasn't a fan of Jack and Ginger's (I believe it was a stop on the Chicago Craft Beer Week passport and that I went there).. but it's literally right by the Map Room.

Unfortunately, I have to drive to Indy to pick up lambics that morning/noonish time on the 27th.

Is this going to be a regular occurrence during the season?

So being that barleycorn in wrigleyville has been overkill that last few seasons, and my hawkeye crew has dwindled to only a few, I was excited to see a new venue to check out.. But I just went to their website, and I don't see anything indicating this bar is tied to Iowa.. I would hate to show up on game day fired up to watch and hear my hawkeyes, and get one or two tvs dedicated to them...

I've also never been to four shadows.. It looks small, but fun..

Their website certainly needs some work. I approached this bar to become an Iowa bar about a month ago. Like you I'm sick of Wrigleyville and while I like Theory and Four Shadows, they're just too small. Since then, they've dropped a couple thousand on a billboard, Iowa flags, memorabelia, etc. I've met the owner (great guy) and staff and they are in this thing 100%. I've coached them on what it takes to be a successful Iowa bar and they're listening. They've put their IOWA allegiance on Facebook blast and I've been doing my part to make this place legit on gameday. I've got a few lady friends (Iowa grads) that will be bartending too which should bring in some nice female clientele. Expectaions are high.

My niece and her boyfriend (Iowa 2011 grads) have moved to the area,and have Hawk grad friends in the region. They have done Merkels,but that is tough parking and crowded,so I will suggest they give this place a look.

Their website certainly needs some work. I approached this bar to become an Iowa bar about a month ago. Like you I'm sick of Wrigleyville and while I like Theory and Four Shadows, they're just too small. Since then, they've dropped a couple thousand on a billboard, Iowa flags, memorabelia, etc. I've met the owner (great guy) and staff and they are in this thing 100%. I've coached them on what it takes to be a successful Iowa bar and they're listening. They've put their IOWA allegiance on Facebook blast and I've been doing my part to make this place legit on gameday. I've got a few lady friends (Iowa grads) that will be bartending too which should bring in some nice female clientele. Expectaions are high.

"if you build it.... they will come"

its that easy when it comes to Iowa bars in chicago.

Just a reminder that the party is going down this Saturday. Weather looks to be perfect. Festivities start around noon. I look forward to have ten or so beer with fellow Chicago Hawkeyes and ushering in the 2011 football season. GO HAWKS!!!

Just a reminder that the party is going down this Saturday. Weather looks to be perfect. Festivities start around noon. I look forward to have ten or so beer with fellow Chicago Hawkeyes and ushering in the 2011 football season. GO HAWKS!!!

Once again, I wish I could come. But, I've gotta drive to Indy and back that morning/afternoon.

I hope to make it out for an actual game though. Especially with the parking situation in that neighborhood and Map Room right there.

HAWKEYENATION UNITE!!!

Are you ready? The Iowa Hawkeye Football season is almost here. What better way to kick this thing off than with a pre-season tailgate party the weekend before opening day.

Jack & Ginger's in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago is opening as an official Hawkeye bar and this place is gonna rock. It's equipped with more than 20 flat screens, a massive beer garden, flippy cup / beer pong table, bags, fooseball and real dartboards. They've even bought a billboard promoting their spot as the best U of I bar in Chicago.

J&G will be serving up some Iowa tailgate classics like Pork On A Stick, Big *** Turkey Legs. and Walking Tacos. On a liquid diet? There will be beer, shot and cocktail specials all day. With Classic Iowa Football Games being played throughout the day and tailgate anthems raining from the speakers, it'll feel like Iowa City just skeet skeet skeeted all over you.

They will also be raffling off a pair of tix for the opening game against Tenn Tech. Hope to see you all in a few weeks to kick off the 2011 season right.

GO HAWKS!

P.S. - Believe it or not I do not work for this bar. Just ready for a better gameday experience at a Chicago bar and this is it.

DETAILS BELOW

Saturday, August 27th
NOON - MIDNIGHT
Jack & Gingers Bar and Grill
2048 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60647
(773)227-6300

Early reviews of this place were mixed. Constructive criticism should be welcomed,right? Service was spotty. No TVs in beer garden which meant limited seats to watch the game inside. Smallish TV's but that can be tolerated. Thinking of sending some Iowa alums down there,but not sure if I should recommend. Anyone go last saturday?

Latest posts