Cherish Iowa Football

ChosenChildren

These are the golden years of Iowa football. Cherish these teams and this outstanding group of coaches and players. Humble, hard working, tough and full of heart. This team will be right in the mix for another outstanding bowl game.

I feel very lucky to be an Iowa fan right now --- so darn exciting!!!!

HOW BIG IS THAT OHIO STATE GAME GOING TO BE IN NOVEMBER? HOLY TOLEDO

I agree...in the midst of another epic three year run...at the end of it. I wouldnt want to write off 2011 as being a great year just yet, but the losses after next year will be huge.

It's why I felt that the talent that was on the 2009 Iowa Outback Bowl roster would see more players drafted than any one roster in Iowa history.

That being said, the depth Iowa has had the last two years or so has been on par with Hayden's best...so the cupboard will not be bare...just a lot of unproven names that will replace some of the best players we have seen in our lifetimes...some of them made more dangerous due to the strength of the overall collection around them

Jon, I couldn't agree more.

You have to have a little luck to win Big Ten titles, big bowl games, national championships, etc.

Truly, in my heart I believe that this team could make a run at a Rose bowl and/or a national championship. It really seems that the pieces are in place. I'm really not that concerned about the offensive line, and I think the running back situation will be substantially better.

We have to stay away from key injuries (for crying out loud, think about last year if Pryor (a running QB) goes down a week before Iowa-OSU instead of Stanzi (on a fluke play)).

If we do, I think you are going to see something amazing this fall. This team has more talent at more positions than any other Iowa team I can remember since I started going to games (1962).

You are also going to be absolutely amazed at how good those 1958 throwback uniforms are going to look - it just gives me chills.

Go Hawkeyes

Jon, I couldn't agree more.

You have to have a little luck to win Big Ten titles, big bowl games, national championships, etc.

Truly, in my heart I believe that this team could make a run at a Rose bowl and/or a national championship. It really seems that the pieces are in place. I'm really not that concerned about the offensive line, and I think the running back situation will be substantially better.

We have to stay away from key injuries (for crying out loud, think about last year if Pryor (a running QB) goes down a week before Iowa-OSU instead of Stanzi (on a fluke play)).

If we do, I think you are going to see something amazing this fall. This team has more talent at more positions than any other Iowa team I can remember since I started going to games (1962).

You are also going to be absolutely amazed at how good those 1958 throwback uniforms are going to look - it just gives me chills.

Go Hawkeyes

I certainly consider myself lucky to be going to school at Iowa during this run. I've gotten to see the second-best running back in school history (IMO), Shonn Greene; I've gotten to see an 11-2 Orange Bowl champion. I'm going to get to watch a team that is considered a legit contender for the national championship this fall. Makes me feel extremely lucky to be here when I have been, and not two years earlier.

We're definitely on the cusp of a nice little run.
But, indulge me...I was a student from 1983 to 1987 and had season tickets for all those years plus '88 thru '91.
I happen to think the Hayden years were pretty "golden" too. Maybe because I was a student (young), and in Kinnick week after week for a long time, but '83-'92 were pretty special.
Don't get me wrong, I love KF and his calm consistency. I want these Hawks--all Hawks--to win every game.
Perhaps I'm just nostalgic.

We're definitely on the cusp of a nice little run.
But, indulge me...I was a student from 1983 to 1987 and had season tickets for all those years plus '88 thru '91.
I happen to think the Hayden years were pretty "golden" too. Maybe because I was a student (young), and in Kinnick week after week for a long time, but '83-'92 were pretty special.
Don't get me wrong, I love KF and his calm consistency. I want these Hawks--all Hawks--to win every game.
Perhaps I'm just nostalgic.

That's how it always works. Everything was better "back in my day". I don't think I've ever met someone who didn't believe that, myself included.

One constant down thru the years with Iowa football, it always comes down to injuries. Now, maybe we are deeper than in the past,but our main guys must remain healthy to have a dream season,ie.,win the league,go to the Rose Bowl.

I remain cautiously optimistic for next season, but acknowledge that a third straight big year would put this 3 year run on a pedestal with few others in Iowa football history..certainly the mid-late 80's still has a longer run going for it,but no BCS wins...if this team could win the Rose Bowl,it would be hard to top,cept for 1956-58...time to go to Pasadena again,and get the job done this time...Go Hawks!

One constant down thru the years with Iowa football, it always comes down to injuries. Now, maybe we are deeper than in the past,but our main guys must remain healthy to have a dream season,ie.,win the league,go to the Rose Bowl.

Concerning injuries; I know Hayden went to natural grass to prevent the leg injuries that he thought the astro-turf was causing. Kirk has now returned to turf. Does anyone know if the new turf has been engineered with foresight to keep injuries to a minimum?

I don't remember seeing anything relating to this when the new turf was installed.

Concerning injuries; I know Hayden went to natural grass to prevent the leg injuries that he thought the astro-turf was causing. Kirk has now returned to turf. Does anyone know if the new turf has been engineered with foresight to keep injuries to a minimum?

I don't remember seeing anything relating to this when the new turf was installed.

The new turf is nothing like Astroturf. AT was like concrete, and the stuff we have now is more like real grass. It's got black rubber pellets to replace dirt, so that the players' spikes have something to dig into. I've never played on anything like it, but it's actually probably better than natural grass, too. Rain doesn't affect it at all, so you lessen the risk of injury there.

I agree these are the Golden Years. But now I think Ferentz has his eyes set on the Rose Bowl. I think he's not leaving Iowa until he takes us to the Rose. The staff we have, and the way we develop players I would be super surprised if we have a less than 8 win season anytime soon.

Last edited:
I agree these are the Golden Years. But now I think Ferentz has his eyes set on the Rose Bowl. I think he's not leaving Iowa until he takes us to the Rose. The staff we have, and the way we develop players I would be super surprised if we have a less than 8 win season anytime soon.
These have been a couple of great years, but being realistic next year is going to be a rough year depending on how many underclassmen get the chance to play this year.

Hey anything is possible, but when you step back and look at it---- next to penn state and ohio state, iowa is one of THE most stable programs in the league and has one of the most veteran staff in the league-- next to the grand daddy himself, jo pa, feretz has the longest tenure in the big ten, these guys have learned from consequences of being complacent (ala 05-07) and the importance of building strong character off the field, etc. --- I beleive this program is now at least at the cusp of being to the point where we Reload not Rebuild---- yes even in reload years a 8-4 or even god forbid a 7-5 happens, but i believe this program now can be a consistant player for league champions and bcs appearances, not saying it will happen every year-- but 6 out of 8 years now we've gone bowling in january-- that alone says something.

Latest posts