Cheer for Wisconsin over Nebraska

TecmoSuperHawk

This is extremely hard for me to do this, but there is no doubt in my mind I must cheer for Wisconsin when they play Nebraska on Oct. 1. Wisconsin is my least favorite team in America, but in order for Iowa to make a run to the Big Ten title game (like I believe they will), we need Nebraska to lose the tough games on their schedule. Since Wisconsin is in the Leaders division, what they do has no affect on us.

It is quite possible with the right breaks, Iowa could lose @ Nebraska but still play in the Big Ten title game. But that only happens if Nebraska loses at Wisconsin.

As I wrote in an earlier thread, every time a Leaders Division team plays a Legends Division team, Iowa fans should want the Leaders Division team to win. Hopefully, the Leaders Division goes 15-3 against the Legends Division with all three losses against Iowa.

You may hate Wisconsin, but you want them to go at least 3-5 with all their wins against Legends teams. The same goes for Illinois, O$U & Penn State (except for Iowa). Hawk fans want Illinois, O$U, & Wisconsin to have a perfect record against the Legends Division.

Rooting for Illinois, O$U & Wisconsin during conference play is frightening. Normally, during confernce play, a perfect weekend was an Iowa victory & losses by those three teams. Not anymore.

Another insightful post by Dwayne.

I agree with you Columbus and it's hard to wrap your mind around that until we get into Big Ten play because you are so used to rooting against teams like Wisconsin, OSU, etc. But the divisional play brings a whole new dynamic. Can't wait.

I've got buddies who go to school in Madison, I plan on just getting hammered and cheering for Wisky with an iowa shirt on.

I can see Nebraska losing against Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin. I can also see Wisconsin getting smoked in Columbus.

I have no problem cheering for any outcome that helps the Hawks. I'd cheer for Iowa State if it would help the Hawks.

I can see Nebraska losing against Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin. I can also see Wisconsin getting smoked in Columbus.

I have no problem cheering for any outcome that helps the Hawks. I'd cheer for Iowa State if it would help the Hawks.

Wisky has won three of the last five meetings in C-bus. They have had more success there than any other team in the nation over the past 15 years or so.

They lost their last meeting there, but Tolzein threw like two pick sixes and the Buckeyes had a TD on a return too..I think Wisky outgained them in nearly every category that day and more than doubled them up in first downs...but turnovers killed them

Does anybody know why they don't let 10 team conferences have league play? The conference championship game alone seems to make it financially worthwhile. That last weekend before bowl games are announced may be my favorite time of the season.

Does anybody know why they don't let 10 team conferences have league play? The conference championship game alone seems to make it financially worthwhile. That last weekend before bowl games are announced may be my favorite time of the season.

I guess I don't follow, or know exactly what you are saying? explain deeper for my slow mind at the moment.....

I guess I don't follow, or know exactly what you are saying? explain deeper for my slow mind at the moment.....

As I understand it, only conferences with 12+ teams are allowed to have "league play" in which only part of the conference plays each other each year. The winner of each league then goes to a conference championship game. Again, as I understand it, the NCAA no longer allows the Big 12 to have "league play" and a championship game because they have less than 12 teams, but now the Big 10 can do so because it has 12 teams.

My question is why? Why can't a conference with 10 teams have league play and a conference championship game?

As I understand it, only conferences with 12+ teams are allowed to have "league play" in which only part of the conference plays each other each year. The winner of each league then goes to a conference championship game. Again, as I understand it, the NCAA no longer allows the Big 12 to have "league play" and a championship game because they have less than 12 teams, but now the Big 10 can do so because it has 12 teams.

My question is why? Why can't a conference with 10 teams have league play and a conference championship game?

good question, I get it now.

i wonder if that rule/by-law was ever looked at?

FWIW, In a weird way I like cheering for other B1G teams in the bowls, should translate easily with what's previously been mentioned

Your use of the words league play are not being used correctly. I think you mean divisional play, but moreso the requirement is you have to have 12 teams to have a league championship game. That has always been the rule, which is why the Big Ten did not have one even with 11 teams.

I am a Hawk fan,so their positioning has always taken precedence over any rivalry with another school. My position remains consistent...whichever outcome helps the Hawks..that is the outcome I root for. With the advent of divison play,as stated above, I always root for all Leaders teams over Legends teams in inter-divisional matchups..simple. In the division,I root for whoever helps the Hawks win the divison.

My keys for a Legends title for the Hawks:
MSU,NEB,and Mich all lose to OSU.
MSU also loses to Neb and Iowa- 3 losses total.
Mich also loses to MSU and Iowa- 3 losses total.
Neb also loses to Wis and PSU- 3 losses total.

Iowa loses to PSU and Neb,yet takes the Legends to play Wisky or OSU in Indy.
Go Hawks.

I could see Iowa in the title game. We absolutely have to win the 4 conference games at home (NU, Mich, MSU and Indiana) and hope for a split on the road (MN, Penn St, Purdue, Neb).

6-2 might do it - it sure seems possible.

You'll get a good read on Vandenberg after the Iowa State game. The Clowns are betting their whole season on that game. It will be an extremely hostile environment, to say the least.

I am a Hawk fan,so their positioning has always taken precedence over any rivalry with another school. My position remains consistent...whichever outcome helps the Hawks..that is the outcome I root for. With the advent of divison play,as stated above, I always root for all Leaders teams over Legends teams in inter-divisional matchups..simple. In the division,I root for whoever helps the Hawks win the divison.

My keys for a Legends title for the Hawks:
MSU,NEB,and Mich all lose to OSU.
MSU also loses to Neb and Iowa- 3 losses total.
Mich also loses to MSU and Iowa- 3 losses total.
Neb also loses to Wis and PSU- 3 losses total.

Iowa loses to PSU and Neb,yet takes the Legends to play Wisky or OSU in Indy.
Go Hawks.

A man and his homework. I would only add, no way Iowa drops it in NE. Bank on it.

Latest posts