Cheer for isu when?

LoewDog

This was a thread that received much interest on CF...posters there thought I was crazy for my take on this topic.

Based on how their posters responded to "cheer for Iowa," my estimation is that only 5-10% of their fan base would cheer for Iowa, even if there was a direct benefit for isu...getting a BCS game, higher BCS ranking, ect. Most of the responses were something like...never, not with a gun to my head, not against the Taliban, ect.

Honestly I could care less if they do or not, but found it annoying as I think this implies that a majority are anti-Iowa fans more so than pro-isu fans. I mean the benefit to your school has to be more important than a negative to any other school right?

My take was that a majority of Iowa fans would cheer for isu if there was a direct benefit to the U of I...example beating Texas so we can move up in the rankings.

Maybe I am wrong (as I was told by the clone fans), but like to assume that Hawk fans were more concerned with what is best for Iowa rather than what was bad for iowa state.

Never. I won't even watch their games (when they are actually on TV...) anyhow unless there is NOTHING else on. Example: their Thursday night opener.

Let's move this to the rivals forum.

To answer the question I cheer for them when I don't have money on the other team.

I'll cheer for them when an ISU win benefits Iowa. Now, with Iowa having one loss I don't know how much of a benefit an ISU win will be. I guess I'll take things week to week.

I might get blasted on here for what I am about to say but here goes nothing....
I would absoutely cheer for ISU if and ONLY if an ISU victory helped Iowa. I used to be in the mind set of cheer for ISU as long as they aren't playing Iowa but not anymore. Its more or less me cheering against their fans rather than the football team. For the majority of their fans to say they would NEVER cheer for Iowa even if it meant helping their team then that is them being stupid and ignorant. What else would you expect?

So maybe I was wrong? Which means clone fan was right? Damn it!

I dislike isu as much as anyone, but if it helps Iowa then I sure can cheer for them.

Every game except Iowa. Yes if Iowa beats them or loses to them, when they win it makes Iowa look better. A 3-9 ISU team that got beat by iowa 35-7 isn't nearly as helpful as a 6-6 team Iowa beats 35-7.

I cheer for them every game, same with UNI. I support the state of Iowa. Even if their fanbase sometimes makes it difficult.

I see no reason to NEVER cheer for them. If they knock off Nebraska this year it will make me ALMOST as happy as an Iowa win.

I might get blasted on here for what I am about to say but here goes nothing....
I would absoutely cheer for ISU if and ONLY if an ISU victory helped Iowa. I used to be in the mind set of cheer for ISU as long as they aren't playing Iowa but not anymore. Its more or less me cheering against their fans rather than the football team. For the majority of their fans to say they would NEVER cheer for Iowa even if it meant helping their team then that is them being stupid and ignorant. What else would you expect?

This is me.

This is how I felt when I read the OP. You just put it into words better than I could have. Nice work.

Every game except Iowa. Yes if Iowa beats them or loses to them, when they win it makes Iowa look better. A 3-9 ISU team that got beat by iowa 35-7 isn't nearly as helpful as a 6-6 team Iowa beats 35-7.

This is where I'm at. I root for all of our non-conference opponents to do well, because it makes the Hawks look better having played good non-conference teams instead of crappy ones. I root for ISU in any game except for when they play the Hawks, and then I hope for it to be a bloodbath. I hope for that in every game the Hawks play, though.

Three teams I NEVER cheer for, unless it directly helps the Hawks in some fashion: Notre Dame, Nebraska and Michigan.

I guess I'm just not that bitter towards ISU.

I have a theory and it is accurate with the ISU fans I have. When ISU beats Iowa, an Iowa fan will root against the ISU team passionatley and ISU fan will root for Iowa. When Iowa beats ISU, the tables are turned, then the opinions turn. It makes no sense, but when ISU beat Iowa, I wanted them to lose every single game, but when we beat them, they are no threat to us. Thoughts?

I always cheer for ISU when they're not playing the Hawks. Even if they beat us, our loss doesn't look as bad if they continue to win. That's exactly why I'm rooting for Arizona to keep winning. Likewise, if we destory them like we did this year and then ISU went on to wins some big games, it will make our domination over them look even better.

With that being said, I find it VERY hard to watch them play cause they're just flat out terrible. ;)

I have a theory and it is accurate with the ISU fans I have. When ISU beats Iowa, an Iowa fan will root against the ISU team passionatley and ISU fan will root for Iowa. When Iowa beats ISU, the tables are turned, then the opinions turn. It makes no sense, but when ISU beat Iowa, I wanted them to lose every single game, but when we beat them, they are no threat to us. Thoughts?

Nope, I still hope they lose every game, even if we beat them.

With how bad they have been it really makes it hard to cheer for them. They will always hate big brother though. Also I would be in favor of not playing them as they bring nothing to the table. Why should we put our chips on the table when they are playing with bits of string and monopoly money?

Latest posts