Check out the defensiveness in Kirk here

Nah, I think his job was safe in 2012.
I'm not 100% convinced KF would still be in charge in 2022 if 2015 hadn't happened.

That one season changed the dynamic for several years. It's different now. Kirk has an even more firm grip with the donors, if that's even possible.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think JVB went from 25 TD passes in 2011 to 6 or 7 in 2012. Granted we lost McNutt and that was a big factor, but watching a team with a QB who throws 6 or 7 TDs in a season sucks. I think Petras will top that, but he only has 2 as of now with 7 games to go, so if we extrapolate it out I think he would currently be on pace for 5.
7 TDs and 8 INTs in 2011. Petras is definitely gonna set the low water mark for starters at Iowa.

In fairness, part of the deal in 2011 was McNutt. He caught 12 of 25. Elite receivers can make garbage QBs look like prom queens by getting open more and catching iffy balls that most guys wouldn't

I'm not 100% convinced KF would still be in charge in 2022 if 2015 hadn't happened.

That one season changed the dynamic for several years. It's different now. Kirk has an even more firm grip with the donors, if that's even possible.
I'm not complaining about it, btw.

2015 was a magical year for me regardless of MSU and Stanford. My son was just a little shaver that year and I took him to his very first game against Maryland. Paid out the ass for 1st row tickets at the north 40, home side. Hawks beat the holy shit out of the turtles and Desmond King ran that pick 6 back right in front of us. My kid went from casually watching football with me once in a while on TV to a totally rabid Hawkeye fan in the space of about 4 hours. It was fucking magic for me as a parent.

Since that one game he's never missed a single one whether live or on TV.

Tevaun Smith took his picture with my kid right after an offensive series and there were tons of Hawks playing who are still playing today...Beathard, Josey Jewell, Jaleel Johnson, Desmond King, George Kittle, Austin Blythe, James Daniels, Ike Boettger. Derrick Mitchell scored what would be his second to last TD that game.

My best day in 42 years so far.

I think about that game anytime I feel myself start to get cynical about Hawkeye football.

I'm not complaining about it, btw.

2015 was a magical year for me regardless of MSU and Stanford. My son was just a little shaver that year and I took him to his very first game against Maryland. Paid out the ass for 1st row tickets at the north 40, home side. Hawks beat the holy shit out of the turtles and Desmond King ran that pick 6 back right in front of us. My kid went from casually watching football with me once in a while on TV to a totally rabid Hawkeye fan in the space of about 4 hours. It was fucking magic for me as a parent.

Since that one game he's never missed a single one whether live or on TV.

Tevaun Smith took his picture with my kid right after an offensive series and there were tons of Hawks playing who are still playing today...Beathard, Josey Jewell, Jaleel Johnson, Desmond King, George Kittle, Austin Blythe, James Daniels, Ike Boettger. Derrick Mitchell scored what would be his second to last TD that game.

My best day in 42 years so far.

I think about that game anytime I feel myself start to get cynical about Hawkeye football.
Wow!

7 TDs and 8 INTs in 2011. Petras is definitely gonna set the low water mark for starters at Iowa.

In fairness, part of the deal in 2011 was McNutt. He caught 12 of 25. Elite receivers can make garbage QBs look like prom queens by getting open more and catching iffy balls that most guys wouldn't
Hell, Keenan Davis caught 50 balls that year. KOK had things humming.

Did not see any defensiveness at all. He answered every questions and I thought answered very well. I think you are stretching here, IMO.
The face doesn't lie, he started and was going to berate the guy and his Irish was up, the blushing face almost beat red said it all. He managed to catch himself, for how long. I see why people don't ask him any real questions. Was the reporter's pass ripped up on the way out?

He said it and its ot wrong, Graduation more important than winning.

BUT he also said it is becoming an entertainment industry and he produces boring football.

Iowa's really getting their moneys worth out of that QB guru Jon Budmayr that's supposedly helping out BF... I know he was unpaid for a part of the summer or whatever but I think he's on the payroll now isn't he?

I think Kirk was saying that chaning O coordinators in mid season, and installing a new offense, new plays, new vocabulary, new concepts and evaluating which players work best in the new scheme would not be helpful. Better to focus on execution right now

What I wish he said, is that big changes have to take place in the off season. But he's savy enough to know that would lead to questions about Brian leaving in the offseason.

I think Kirk was saying that chaning O coordinators in mid season, and installing a new offense, new plays, new vocabulary, new concepts and evaluating which players work best in the new scheme would not be helpful. Better to focus on execution right now

What I wish he said, is that big changes have to take place in the off season. But he's savy enough to know that would lead to questions about Brian leaving in the offseason.
I agree with the part about trying to overhaul an offense in the middle of the yr. That's not gonna happen. But the situational play calling can certainly change. Calling zone running plays out of 11 personnel on 1st down a lot of the time when you're down 2 scores in the second half of a game for example doesn't have to happen...

The situational play calling has just always been frustrating. They played with no urgency in the 2nd half of that last game. None at all. If you didn't know the score and were watching our O you'd have thought Iowa had a 2 possession lead instead of trailing by that much. And don't get me started on calling a 1 yard route for a 4th and 2 plus...

If our offensive system doesn't have any redundancies for when they are behind and need to come back in it then yeah that's gotta change.

I could see Alabama getting complacent and not having a hurry up O implemented for when they are behind multiple scores midway through the game because well that's damn near never happened. But oh wait they usually keep the pedal to the metal and don't stop trying to move the ball and score either regardless of the situation so there's that.

I agree with the part about trying to overhaul an offense in the middle of the yr. That's not gonna happen. But the situational play calling can certainly change. Calling zone running plays out of 11 personnel on 1st down a lot of the time when you're down 2 scores in the second half of a game for example doesn't have to happen...

The situational play calling has just always been frustrating. They played with no urgency in the 2nd half of that last game. None at all. If you didn't know the score and were watching our O you'd have thought Iowa had a 2 possession lead instead of trailing by that much. And don't get me started on calling a 1 yard route for a 4th and 2 plus...

If our offensive system doesn't have any redundancies for when they are behind and need to come back in it then yeah that's gotta change.

I could see Alabama getting complacent and not having a hurry up O implemented for when they are behind multiple scores midway through the game because well that's damn near never happened. But oh wait they usually keep the pedal to the metal and don't stop trying to move the ball and score either regardless of the situation so there's that.
In 17 Kirk overhauled it for OSU and discovered it was to hard so he went back to the old against Winconsin. Good thing. .

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think JVB went from 25 TD passes in 2011 to 6 or 7 in 2012. Granted we lost McNutt and that was a big factor, but watching a team with a QB who throws 6 or 7 TDs in a season sucks. I think Petras will top that, but he only has 2 as of now with 7 games to go, so if we extrapolate it out I think he would currently be on pace for 5.
Biggest factor by far was the switch to Greg Davis ball.