Cheap Laptop Ideas

CRHawks

Hey Hawk fans just looking for some advice. I am looking for a new laptop since the dc port broke on my other one. I could get it repaired for $80 and a new battery but it is 3 years old. I am pretty much strictly a web browser, but will use microsoft programs from time to time. Any ideas of good deals for a bsic laptop?? Thanks!

86-big.gif

Cheapest laptop out there. U can play drug wars and calculate the correlation between the rate of kirk's gum chewing and vandenberg's passing efficiency.

Check on Tiger Direct. They usually have some good deals, free shipping too. You can usually get one pretty cheap on there (I did), especially if you go the refurbished route.

I am in the market for a simple laptop also but was thinking of switching to an ipad?

iPads don't have any type of word processing system on them. They're really only good for browsing the web and playing games. And typing is kind of a PITA. You can get a pretty decent laptop (that u can do so much more stuff with) for the same price as the higher end ipad.

That being said I have an ipad, but I really only use it when traveling or Internet browsing at home. Fun toy, but definitely overpriced for what it's capable of doing IMO

Look for netbooks from toshiba or asus.
FM, sorry bro, but HP sucks.

I'll tell ya... me and the lady just purchased an inexpensive new laptop from Best Buy. It was right around $400 bucks. Its an ASUS. I would not be afraid to buy one of these again. Has been great so far. I just wanted an affordable one and its been working well.

Hey Hawk fans just looking for some advice. I am looking for a new laptop since the dc port broke on my other one. I could get it repaired for $80 and a new battery but it is 3 years old. I am pretty much strictly a web browser, but will use microsoft programs from time to time. Any ideas of good deals for a bsic laptop?? Thanks!

The netbooks aren't bad if all you're doing is web browsing. If you have to do a lot of typing the keyboard is too small, IMO. I would hate to have to do a large project on it, or type a lot of documents, but for web browsing, I actually prefer it to my lap top because it's small and light.

Look for netbooks from toshiba or asus.
FM, sorry bro, but HP sucks.

That's what I always thought too until I bought one. I actually pervert it to my Gateway laptop.

edit: what the laptops do on their own time is none of my business.

Last edited:
I've heard that their is word processing software in development for the iPad, which would be awesome.. Cuz then I could sell my laptop once and for all. Which, by the way, is a Toshiba I've had for 2.5 years and have had ZERO problems with, FWIW.

Here's a cheap laptop idea: Get an old pizza box and throw some batteries in it. Voila, laptop!

Unfortunately when you buy cheap, an I classify anything under $500 as cheap.... then any machine can have trouble. My son just bought the
Toshiba and the OS went bad in the first 2 months and like someone else said they have had no trouble with them. So Toshiba and ASUS I have heard good things from, but realistically the only one I have heard there has been trouble with has been HP. Maybe cuz there are so many of them out there.

I really only web browse also and I found a Compaq on Best Buys website, they have cheaper computers that will get it done for you that they offer on their online site.

Heard bad things about both Gateway and HP. Only owned Dell, which I liked, until buying this cheaper ASUS. I do recommend it.

Unfortunately when you buy cheap, an I classify anything under $500 as cheap.... then any machine can have trouble. My son just bought the
Toshiba and the OS went bad in the first 2 months and like someone else said they have had no trouble with them. So Toshiba and ASUS I have heard good things from, but realistically the only one I have heard there has been trouble with has been HP. Maybe cuz there are so many of them out there.

If all you do is surf the web, then just fix the old one. It's way cheaper, as long as it isn't a horrible lap top.

If you are set on getting a lap top, I have had HP and Toshiba- Toshiba is better, but had no problems with either.

If you can get an ASUS cheaper do it. They aren't as pretty per say, but they are more durable. I've been told by our IT guys that it is the best you can get.

I bought a hot-rod new Asus in late November, and it is, by a very significant margin, the finest computer I've ever owned or used. However, at $800, it wasn't what the OP would consider "cheap". The thing is a straight-up rockstar.
My wife has a mid-level Toshiba, and it is very nice, fast, smooth, flawless.
I had an older Toshiba portege from my company until I bought the Asus, and it was a great little laptop. Outdated now, but a good worker for the past 2.5 years.
All HPs I've ever owned (3) have sucked ballz and been full of hateful bloatware.

If all you do is surf the web, then just fix the old one. It's way cheaper, as long as it isn't a horrible lap top.

If you are set on getting a lap top, I have had HP and Toshiba- Toshiba is better, but had no problems with either.

If you can get an ASUS cheaper do it. They aren't as pretty per say, but they are more durable. I've been told by our IT guys that it is the best you can get.

No. If it is that old, it undoubtedly has a crappy wireless interface (no n) and even crappier processor, ram, and hard drive.
A new laptop will serve him well. Paying even $80 to repair something more than 2-3 years old is a waste of $80.

Latest posts