Charlie Jones drafted in 4th round by Bengals

guffus

I know Charlie Jones did not start or end his career with Iowa but he still was a big part of the 2021 Iowa team that won 10 games and the Big Ten West title.

Looks like Jones made the right call for himself transferring to Purdue as Jones lead the Big Ten in receptions and Purdue ended up winning the Big Ten West in 2022. This move no doubt helped get him get drafted.

I'll add to that that Julius Brents was drafted in the 2nd round, 44th overall. Just curious how they would've used DeJean if Brents would've stayed. I'd guess he'd be at Cash where he would be a stud. OK, no matter where they put him he'd be a stud.

Good for Jones. Bad for our reputation. I mean not that we had a good one on offense lately but that sure doesn't help it. I won't be surprised at all if he has a solid NFL career either. He'll cash some checks for awhile and good for him

I think Iowa's reputation for offense is already pretty established. I heard the draftniks on ESPN make fun of Iowa's offense just about every time an Iowa kid was discussed. We are who we are at this point. Charlie's draft status did not change that.

Honestly, I think he would have gotten drafted out of Iowa as well. Maybe not as high. He brings great value as a special teams player and that would have shined at Iowa if he stayed.

I think Iowa's reputation for offense is already pretty established. I heard the draftniks on ESPN make fun of Iowa's offense just about every time an Iowa kid was discussed. We are who we are at this point. Charlie's draft status did not change that.

Honestly, I think he would have gotten drafted out of Iowa as well. Maybe not as high. He brings great value as a special teams player and that would have shined at Iowa if he stayed.
Exactly. I think he'd have made a squad just as a return guy, with an occasional role as WR, kinda like Tim Dwight.

Jones to me was the canary in the coal mine. The Pandamic season the offense looked ok given the weird year and a first year starter. But, it was such a weird year it was hard to judge. The offense sucked in 2021, but there was a notion that the line, RBs, and receivers were all very young and would take a step forward in 2022 after a 10-win season. The fact that Jones, after experiencing Spring ball in a season where Iowa won 10 games and he was an all-conference returner, would choose to transfer to a lower tier program in the division spoke volumes to what he thought was in front of him. In hindsight, he clearly made the right decision.

Perhaps we have the reverse decision with McNamara, All, and Anderson choosing to sign with Iowa believing that the OL will be veteran, the RB is a stud, the WRs are serviceable, and they themselves can lead Iowa to enough offensive competency to contend for a title.

Charlie was actively recruited by Aiden O'Connell, his childhood friend. Hard to say how much our middling offense had to do with it, but I'm sure O'Connell hyped Brohm's offensive system, and probably took shots at ours, in the process.

Charlie was actively recruited by Aiden O'Connell, his childhood friend. Hard to say how much our middling offense had to do with it, but I'm sure O'Connell hyped Brohm's offensive system, and probably took shots at ours, in the process.
Fair point. And Purdue was coming off a very good year too, not the least of which was kicking the hell out of the #2 in the nation Iowa team in Kinnick. O'Connell has some things to sell.

I hate to put to much on one variable, but if Charlie had stayed at Iowa, I think we win the (very weak) West again. His return ability alone could have turned the tide against Nebraska, Iowa State or Illinois. And, I think he could have helped Petras be less sucky given his route running and ability to get open over the middle where Petras liked to go. Guess we will never know, but he was a difference maker.

We need to quit being who we are on offense.

I am happy for Charlie. He was fun to watch in an Iowa uniform. I wish him nothing but the best now that he isn’t wearing a boilermaker uniform anymore.

Well it had pretty much everything to do with it. If Charlie was our #1 WR (which he wasn't) and woulda been in line to get 100 plus targets let alone touches for us for 1000 yards he woulda had no reason to be looking around to leave. But he knew after having been here with Petras and BF he had no shot at anything close to that sort of production. I wish he'd have decided to leave sooner then he did having waited till after spring ball kinda screwed us on replacing him right away. But that was his choice.

Now it wasn't a guaranteed thing he would be a stud going to Purdue either but I'm sure he was told if you're good enough you'll get the opportunity. So in the same way he left Buffalo to walk on with Iowa he bet on himself went to play with his buddy and he sure as hell was good enough. And good for him I love everything about his story.

BTW, can we really use "middling" to describe Iowa's offense the last two seasons?

Middling: "moderate or average in size, amount, or rank."

2022 offensive rankings:

126 Colorado St. 12 707 3429 4.85 16 285.8
127 Rutgers 12 763 3385 4.44 22 282.1
128 Colorado 12 747 3375 4.52 21 281.2
129 Massachusetts 12 797 3189 4.00 14 265.8
130 Iowa 13 772 3271 4.24 19 251.6
131 New Mexico 12 694 2737 3.94 15 228.1

We need to quit being who we are on offense.
You're barking up the wrong tree, friendo.

This offense would be fine if we had an OL to block and a quarterback who doesn't shit his pants when the chips are down like we've had the past 6 years in Nate and Spence. That's what they've gambled on for McNamara and we have to just wait and see if he's the next Drew Tate or CJ Beathard, or a rerun of the Indiana and Rutgers killers we've had since then.

I'll say it again for the millionth time...this team is based on defense. Has been forever. All the offense has to do here to win lots of ballgames is not get in the way of the D.

Brian Ferentz is like a driver at the front of a stock car pack who drops a Skittle on the floorboard, tries to pick it up at 200 mph, spins out and takes every single other car out in a heap of sheet metal and tubing.

All Brian needs to do is keep the goddamn car going straight and pull over to let Phil pass him at the earliest opportunity.

This offense would be fine if we had an OL to block and a quarterback who doesn't shit his pants when the chips are down like we've had the past 6 years in Nate and Spence. That's what they've gambled on for McNamara and we have to just wait and see if he's the next Drew Tate or CJ Beathard, or a rerun of the Indiana and Rutgers killers we've had since then.

I'll say it again for the millionth time...this team is based on defense. Has been forever. All the offense has to do here to win lots of ballgames is not get in the way of the D.

Brian Ferentz is like a driver at the front of a stock car pack who drops a Skittle on the floorboard, tries to pick it up at 200 mph, spins out and takes every single other car out in a heap of sheet metal and tubing.

All Brian needs to do is keep the goddamn car going straight and pull over to let Phil pass him at the earliest opportunity.
I love the analogy, but man it is off. The notion that BF, if he were a NASCAR driver, could hit 200 mph is laughable. He would hit the wall coming out of the pits.

I totally agree with where you head is at. Get a few first downs per drive, hit 2 big plays a game, take advantage of the several short fields that the D gives you, and punch in 3 TDs, 2 FGs, and 375 yards of total offense. That is driving 85 MPH in a minivan on a straight highway while drinking a red bull out of a straw. You can do it, Brian!!!!!!

That's the thing. Iowa is who Iowa is. Teams all know exactly what we are going to do. It's about execution, which in most years starts with the trenches. Uncharacteristically, the O-line (due to youth, inexperience and guys leaving) has been an deficiency. The D is no different. Base defense for the most part. Just Phil Parker has much more success.

It comes down to having the guys execute. With the aforementioned, we did not and it was a trainwreck. KF and the staff will not reinvent the wheel. Maybe they throw in a wrinkle or two, but we will continue to do the things we do.

It can be maddening as a fan at times, but if we get back to bullying D-lines up front, very few will say a word. We will never be flashy. At least not under KF. I have zero issue with this as long as we have some success. I'm optimistic about this year and see the offense making improvements.

I love the analogy, but man it is off. The notion that BF, if he were a NASCAR driver, could hit 200 mph is laughable. He would hit the wall coming out of the pits.

I totally agree with where you head is at. Get a few first downs per drive, hit 2 big plays a game, take advantage of the several short fields that the D gives you, and punch in 3 TDs, 2 FGs, and 375 yards of total offense. That is driving 85 MPH in a minivan on a straight highway while drinking a red bull out of a straw. You can do it, Brian!!!!!!
Bahahahaha! I about spit my coffee out reading the minivan line!!! Epic!!!

Well it had pretty much everything to do with it. If Charlie was our #1 WR (which he wasn't) and woulda been in line to get 100 plus targets let alone touches for us for 1000 yards he woulda had no reason to be looking around to leave. But he knew after having been here with Petras and BF he had no shot at anything close to that sort of production. I wish he'd have decided to leave sooner then he did having waited till after spring ball kinda screwed us on replacing him right away. But that was his choice.

Now it wasn't a guaranteed thing he would be a stud going to Purdue either but I'm sure he was told if you're good enough you'll get the opportunity. So in the same way he left Buffalo to walk on with Iowa he bet on himself went to play with his buddy and he sure as hell was good enough. And good for him I love everything about his story.
You may very well be right, but unless you personally talked to Charlie and he said as much, it is an assumption. My guess is that it was one of several factors, including playing with O'Connell and under a coach known for creative pass offenses.

And, yes, his timing was a gut-punch. I hated to see him go. He was my favorite player on the team. I just love the way he competes, and I'm confident he will do well in the NFL.

One thing for sure: stylistically, McNamara is definitely NOT going to be like Tate or Beathard. Both those guys used their legs to either scramble around the pocket buying time (Tate) or pull it down and run for big yardage in key situations (Beathard). Coming off major knee surgery, it's highly doubtful McNamara will be doing much of either.
While I have no doubt McNamara will be more accurate throwing the ball than Petras -- almost anyone would be -- given the lack of WRs he has to work with, I like you am in a 'wait and see' mode.

You may very well be right, but unless you personally talked to Charlie and he said as much, it is an assumption. My guess is that it was one of several factors, including playing with O'Connell and under a coach known for creative pass offenses.

And, yes, his timing was a gut-punch. I hated to see him go. He was my favorite player on the team. I just love the way he competes, and I'm confident he will do well in the NFL.
And it turned out the timing didn't matter a hell of a lot towards us replacing him anyway. Here we are a yr later and still really haven't. We only had 1 scholarship receiver out there this spring. The snow ball effect of this offense isn't getting turned around while BF is OC that feels pretty evident. He puts a ceiling onto how could they even could be.

Latest posts