Changes need to be made... Here are 3.

My "gut feeling" is we will see something change next season. Not sure if that means Norm steps aside or what but I truly do think Kirk will be faced with making a couple of internal changes.

I agree. Special teams are a joke. This used to be one of the main focuses of a KF team (2002) but it seems to have fallen on the wayside.

TOTALLY AGREE, NORM NEEDS TO GO. He is a great coach but how can he expect to get the players that he needs without recruiting. He hasn't recruited in two years.

No comment on Norm, but ST has become maniacally disappointing. Gave up another fake punt last Saturday, penalty on KO return, the fumbled KO return (although I personally think Bernstine received a helmet-to-helmet on the play). Having a FG blocked should NEVER happen when you are down 31-7 and attempting from beyond 40 yards. That MSU was able to get penetration is a total breakdown (kick may have been a bit low, but still).

How many "fakes" must opponents convert before we change:
1) ST coaching
2) ST personnel
3) ST schemes/sets

The 2002/2003/2004 seasons were jam-packed with ST successes (blocked punts, FGs, PATs, good KO and punt returns). DJK had some great KO returns from 2007-2010, but beyond that, our ST has become a definite weakness.

The 2002/2003/2004 seasons were jam-packed with ST successes (blocked punts, FGs, PATs, good KO and punt returns). DJK had some great KO returns from 2007-2010, but beyond that, our ST has become a definite weakness.
Stupid question: who was the ST coach back then?

In Norm's defense. 300 lb olinemen will run over a 260 lb DL all day. With the DL getting run over the LB's have their hands full.

Take a look at the roster and it tells most of the story. For what ever reason, Iowa probably has more freshmen than the next three classes combined.

Yes, Iowa would be 8-2 if they had beat ISU and Minnesota. But against ISU, Iowa played the worst game I have ever seen them play defensively. It was surprising that they were able to get to overtime. Against Minnesota, the offense did nothing in the red zone. Again Minnesota deserved the win.

Aw shucks, we're just lil' old Iowa; we don't have the ability to recruit decent size players.

Completely agree here, if we as a fan base strive for mediocrity, then thats exactly what we'll get.

And the one that really p*s*es me off, we are always going to be difficult to recruit to. That is total BS! Iowa is one of 12 schools playing BCS football in one of the premiere conferences in America, what kids with D1 football talent wouldn't at least want to visit. Once on campus you have their full attention, sell them on this program, Get it done!

Explain Nebraska? Sure they have great facilities, Iowa has the ability to get great facilities, Still based on tradition, Nebby gets top 20 or better rated classes very consistently. Kids these days don't give a crap what you did 10-15-20 yrs ago, they only care about what you did last year or 2 yrs ago. Come on Iowa fans why are you people satisfied with 6-6 or 7-5 seasons..We should expect 8 wins minimum every season and 10-11 wins every 5 or 6 seasons.
JMHO.

And the one that really p*s*es me off, we are always going to be difficult to recruit to. That is total BS! Iowa is one of 12 schools playing BCS football in one of the premiere conferences in America, what kids with D1 football talent wouldn't at least want to visit. Once on campus you have their full attention, sell them on this program, Get it done!

Explain Nebraska? Sure they have great facilities, Iowa has the ability to get great facilities, Still based on tradition, Nebby gets top 20 or better rated classes very consistently. Kids these days don't give a crap what you did 10-15-20 yrs ago, they only care about what you did last year or 2 yrs ago. Come on Iowa fans why are you people satisfied with 6-6 or 7-5 seasons..We should expect 8 wins minimum every season and 10-11 wins every 5 or 6 seasons.
JMHO.

Truly, you're an idiot. On every point. Please do your nation a favor and don't reproduce.

See http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/37599-football-salaries-2.html

(p.s. Nebraska hasn't had a Top 20 class on either service in 4 years, other than #15 on Rivals last year (#26 on Scout vs. Iowa's #22))

Got a mouse in your pocket or something? I don't see anybody saying Iowa should be in the hunt for the national title every year. I'm not sure where people keep getting this.

Even during KF's "glory years", Iowa was not in the national title hunt, except for in 2002. People just are growing weary of losing to teams like ISU & Minnesota. The team really should still be 8-2 if they could have just beaten those two teams this year. I think most people would be pretty happy with that.

what's ferentz' record against the goofs? 8 of the last 11? or something like that?

not acceptable.

Completely agree here, if we as a fan base strive for mediocrity, then thats exactly what we'll get.

JMHO.

have you followed nebraska in the past ten years? have you compared iowa's success comparatively during that same time?

please take the guy's advice that posted above me.

have you followed nebraska in the past ten years? have you compared iowa's success comparatively during that same time?

please take the guy's advice that posted above me.

I guess when your an "HN Legend" you can insult people anytime you wish! It's a good thing that the only qualification to becoming an "HN Legend" is the amount of time you waste posting on HN. I bet your buddies in home room are so impressed by you!

Apparently Coach Fran didn't get the bulletin about "we're just Iowa" when he was selling his downtrodden program to two elite players in the northwest Iowa area the last two years.

i'm not sold on our d-line being under sized or not being that good. the problem is not with who is playing. i'll try to explain, did anyone else see christian ballard on MNF making a name for himself? same goes for AC, roth and *gasp* kampman. in the NFL theyre told to unleash hell and the NFL scouts know this which is why they are all starting (roth & kampman rotating). the problem in IC is our d-line is told to "read and react" its obvious and game film proves that. what happened to unleashing hell like the d-line did 2 years ago? i understand the purpose for read and react and it has proven affective, however if facing a qb not known for his mobility then let the d-line pin their ears back and get after it. any level of football and the team that gets defenseive pressure on the qb wins. weve sparks of this this year with nardo going upfield,outside shoulder. let the boys go this week and iowa wins by 3 scores. if they keep getting beat bc of read & react then itll be another loss.

Latest posts