Changes need to be made... Here are 3.

PeoriaHWKI

No, KF does not need to go but changes or a shake up in the staff needs to be done this off season. KF needs some life brought into this program and the men at the top of the helm don't have it anymore.

1. Norm needs to retire. Not because he is a bad coach. He is probably one of the most brilliant minds to to lead a defense in NCAA history. The bottom line is his health isn't there and for his own sake and the team's it is time to hand over the torch to someone else. Who? This needs to come from the outside and there are several good candidates out there. This person needs to be young, exciting, in your face, and needs to hit the recruiting trail hard.

2. Special teams- We have 2 guys that take on this responsibility. Really? It looks like we don't have anyone coaching? This area has become a joke for Iowa and every team we play knows it now. The lack of respect we are shown in this area is laughable and we are just plain sloppy and this area more than any other area has cost us more games the past 2 years. Sorry, but Erb needs to be let go.

3. Offensive coordiantor needs a boost. Now I do not think KOK needs to be let go. I am still not sure who is calling the shots. Is it KF or KOK. Whatever or whoever it is, a new approach needs to be tried. KF either needs to be more or less involved. Whatever you are doing now do the opposite. Then we will see who is the culprit. A QB coach would be great as well... but I know that is difficult with the coaching limitations.

I am tired of the excuse of "players not excecuting." I am tired of the coaches saying well "that is football." I want a coach to get out there and get it. I want a coach to prepare for a BCS hunt every year and expect it. I want a coach who will throttle Iowa State and Minnesota every year. I think this approach of we are not as good as we think we are is not healthy. We need some changes.

Norm will when he's ready he just doesn't have the d line for his schemes to work.

We do need a good special teams coach and never go for a block unless needed

I think KF holds KoK back alot and our offense is good but we do need new open play calling

We will be fine when young players get lifting going hardcore and learn. Next good dl war comes in. Our d all depends on d line gettig pressure without blitzing.

It is great you have an opinion and make some good points but unless KF reads this and you somehow change his mind then nothing is going to happen.

Norm will when he's ready he just doesn't have the d line for his schemes to work.

I think KF holds KoK back alot and our offense is good but we do need new open play calling

Then change your scheme to match your players abilities dumb dumb, jeeesh, I get tired of this excuse!

isn't it the coaches responsibilty to recruit the players, train and devlop them? so if we do not have the DL then whose fault is it? and when you do not have the DL for wahtever reason then you need to change your scheme... play to your strenghts and try to hide your weaknesses.

Whos fault is it that Iowa doesnt have the Dline for his schemes to work? 1. Recruit players who can play the scheme or 2. Adjust the scheme to make it respectable.

changing the type of D-Line recruit would help, stop getting the 265 lb D-Linemen those are good for DE's but you need 285 to 300 lb D-Linemen, the announcers talked about this, that we were outweighed by 30 lbs a man on the D-Line, and if you notice the O-Linemen are getting lighter, pretty soon we will be starting a O-Line that avg's 285

Then change your scheme to match your players abilities dumb dumb, jeeesh, I get tired of this excuse!

What scheme will work when you have (i) an undersized, slow defensive line, (ii) slow LBs who aren't particularly good at tackling and often take bad angles and look like they are running quicksand when they blitz and (iii) no depth in the secondary?

I agree with the OP.. I love Norm, but I think it's time for him to focus on his health and retire. I get the sense that Norm's recent health issues are starting to hurt the program on that side of the ball.

Special teams - YES. That really hasn't been a strong spot for several years now. Donahue was an excellent punter a few years ago, but other than that, the team pretty much never blocks a punt or a FG, allows big kickoff returns too often, and doesn't seem to get big returns of their own - until Bernstein's big return on Saturday. Also the punt return game - about the best we ever get is a fair catch, but usually the ball isn't even fielded and the ball rolls another 10-15 yards in lost field position. So we set up for the return (instead of a block), yet we never really get an actual return. What's wrong with that picture?

Offense - I won't get into it, but yeah, the offense has been inconsistent at best over the years.

No, KF does not need to go but changes or a shake up in the staff needs to be done this off season. KF needs some life brought into this program and the men at the top of the helm don't have it anymore.

1. Norm needs to retire. Not because he is a bad coach. He is probably one of the most brilliant minds to to lead a defense in NCAA history. The bottom line is his health isn't there and for his own sake and the team's it is time to hand over the torch to someone else. Who? This needs to come from the outside and there are several good candidates out there. This person needs to be young, exciting, in your face, and needs to hit the recruiting trail hard.

2. Special teams- We have 2 guys that take on this responsibility. Really? It looks like we don't have anyone coaching? This area has become a joke for Iowa and every team we play knows it now. The lack of respect we are shown in this area is laughable and we are just plain sloppy and this area more than any other area has cost us more games the past 2 years. Sorry, but Erb needs to be let go.

3. Offensive coordiantor needs a boost. Now I do not think KOK needs to be let go. I am still not sure who is calling the shots. Is it KF or KOK. Whatever or whoever it is, a new approach needs to be tried. KF either needs to be more or less involved. Whatever you are doing now do the opposite. Then we will see who is the culprit. A QB coach would be great as well... but I know that is difficult with the coaching limitations.

I am tired of the excuse of "players not excecuting." I am tired of the coaches saying well "that is football." I want a coach to get out there and get it. I want a coach to prepare for a BCS hunt every year and expect it. I want a coach who will throttle Iowa State and Minnesota every year. I think this approach of we are not as good as we think we are is not healthy. We need some changes.

I have bit my lip for as long as I can. I grew up in Husker Heaven during the Osborne era. Nebraska fans got spoiled and started whining about being in the title hunt every year, Osborne needed coaching changes, you know the tune.

Now we Iowa fans are expecting the same...heck KOK was coach of the year after the Michigan game. Do I think all is right...heck no! I will however leave it to Kirk to figure it out. He and his staff want to win more then we do. I would guess some internal reviews will take place this off season.

I have bit my lip for as long as I can. I grew up in Husker Heaven during the Osborne era. Nebraska fans got spoiled and started whining about being in the title hunt every year, Osborne needed coaching changes, you know the tune.

Now we Iowa fans are expecting the same...heck KOK was coach of the year after the Michigan game. Do I think all is right...heck no! I will however leave it to Kirk to figure it out. He and his staff want to win more then we do. I would guess some internal reviews will take place this off season.

I agree with you and that is why I think some adjustments need to be made. The only firing I see is special teams and how does anyone argue that?

As far as KOK goes ia m not sure what the problem is. Is it him? Is it KF? try something different as faras who is calling the shots.

Now we Iowa fans are expecting the same...

Got a mouse in your pocket or something? I don't see anybody saying Iowa should be in the hunt for the national title every year. I'm not sure where people keep getting this.

Even during KF's "glory years", Iowa was not in the national title hunt, except for in 2002. People just are growing weary of losing to teams like ISU & Minnesota. The team really should still be 8-2 if they could have just beaten those two teams this year. I think most people would be pretty happy with that.

Last edited:
I agree. Special teams are a joke. This used to be one of the main focuses of a KF team (2002) but it seems to have fallen on the wayside.

TOTALLY AGREE, NORM NEEDS TO GO. He is a great coach but how can he expect to get the players that he needs without recruiting. He hasn't recruited in two years.

Got a mouse in your pocket or something? I don't see anybody saying Iowa should be in the hunt for the national title every year. I'm not sure where people keep getting this.
If you are in the BCS bowl equation you are in the national championship discussion.

Even during KF's "glory years", Iowa was not in the national title hunt, except for in 2002. People just are growing weary of losing to teams like ISU & Minnesota. The team really should still be 8-2 if they could have just beaten those two teams this year. I think most people would be pretty happy with that.
And OSU has more talent then anyone in the Big 10 is disappointed, Nebraska is disappointed losing to an inferior Northwestern team, Wisconsin is disappointed in...and the list goes on and on. I believe we are on a very small margin of error...this year and last luck has not been on our side...and that is it.

Gotta love the message boards, where the only team that should never lose or rebuild, is yours...

I do agree however, that Iowa needs to change up its defensive philosophy some...teams have figured out how to beat Iowa's zone and it's just that much easier when the D-line isn't good...on that front however, it appears the Hawks have some talent on the way or are in the lead for some talent...true d-linemen, not just a bunch of TEs they'll try to bulk up...

And would it kill the Hawks to go to a nickel package more instead of putting a LB on a WR all of the time? I'm getting tired of seeing passes caught because our LBs have their backs to the QBs the entire time...

I agree three things need to cahnge - don't throw an interception in your half of the field, don't fumble a kickoff and don't fumble in the red zone.

changing the type of D-Line recruit would help, stop getting the 265 lb D-Linemen those are good for DE's but you need 285 to 300 lb D-Linemen, the announcers talked about this, that we were outweighed by 30 lbs a man on the D-Line, and if you notice the O-Linemen are getting lighter, pretty soon we will be starting a O-Line that avg's 285
Aw shucks, we're just lil' old Iowa; we don't have the ability to recruit decent size players.

Latest posts