Change the Narrative on Stanley

Hawk1960

Sometimes old narratives have a tough time changing. It could be because people are lazy thinkers, talking heads don't do their research, or people just live and die by the same narrative so they can say, "I told you so".

Well, Stanley critics, the old narrative that Stanley is "not accurate" needs a little fact check and update.

Below are the facts for the past 6 games. 119-182 for 65% completion rate, 1340 yards passing, 13 TD and only 2 INTs. Awesome numbers for what amounts to a half of a season. Sure he may overthrow or under throw on occasion but what QB does not? The fact that he is clicking at 65% completion rate and has only thrown 2 INTs in this time period should change the narrative by now. I like a QB who completes it to the right color jersey.

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 12.00.16 PM.png

Sometimes old narratives have a tough time changing. It could be because people are lazy thinkers, talking heads don't do their research, or people just live and die by the same narrative so they can say, "I told you so".

Well, Stanley critics, the old narrative that Stanley is "not accurate" needs a little fact check and update.

Below are the facts for the past 6 games. 119-182 for 65% completion rate, 1340 yards passing, 13 TD and only 2 INTs. Awesome numbers for what amounts to a half of a season. Sure he may overthrow or under throw on occasion but what QB does not? The fact that he is clicking at 65% completion rate and has only thrown 2 INTs in this time period should change the narrative by now. I like a QB who completes it to the right color jersey.

View attachment 5539

Looks like a trend. I didn't realize his completion % was so high against MSU. That's a big time opponent, no Fant and Hockenson wasn't targeted until late (although I'm sure he drew attention).

You know what, the second Super Bowl the Patriots lost to the Giants, heck maybe even both of them, Tom Brady was off with his throws. He had receivers really open and key moments and did not make accurate throws that were incomplete. Those Giants teams did have a good pass rush so maybe that was it but like the OP says all qbs can have this issue. Otherwise great free throw shooters would shout 99%, qbs would complete 80 percent, pitchers would hardly ever walk a batter, and pro golfers would hit every drive in the fairway which they do not. It just isnt that easy all the time

So let's hope Nate keeps improving but also give him a break too

Looks like a trend. I didn't realize his completion % was so high against MSU. That's a big time opponent, no Fant and Hockenson wasn't targeted until late (although I'm sure he drew attention).

And Stanley usually has 2-5 throw aways a game when he is playing smart.

By the numbers he looks good. What the numbers don't show are opportunities missed. - and that feeds the narrative. The pass to reganni (sp?) would have been a TD. The overthrown screen pass was missed yardage. or better. And we go back in time to see missed opportunities like that and at worse the PSU game last year. that shit show in the red zone was missed points and maybe a flipping a L to a W. That is where the narrative is born.

It isn't "how many" but "when."

Although accuracy percentages are important, as another mentioned, the big misses are the heartbreaker/game changers lots of time.

The Wisconsin game is the big one. Hope he is on his game against his home state team. Hopefully it will look like the walkaway vs Ohio State!!

Stanley has the chance to be Iowa's signature QB, and an NFL player, given his size, arm, etc.

By the numbers he looks good. What the numbers don't show are opportunities missed. - and that feeds the narrative. The pass to reganni (sp?) would have been a TD. The overthrown screen pass was missed yardage. or better. And we go back in time to see missed opportunities like that and at worse the PSU game last year. that shit show in the red zone was missed points and maybe a flipping a L to a W. That is where the narrative is born.

Agreed, but looking at these games, all but one were wins, and the one loss was due to abysmal play by our defensive backs. The offense put up more than enough points to win that game. We will see how this season plays out, but if the trend that we've seen in the games being discussed by OP, I think we win the west. That said, if bad Nate shows up in two or three games, as he did against Wisconsin and Northwestern, then he needs to be near flawless in the others. Let's hope he's finally shaken whatever caused those mishaps.

Stanley struggles with consistency and keeping good form, especially when under pressure. He seems to be progressing, but we'll see how things work out this year against the better defenses.

Agreed, but looking at these games, all but one were wins, and the one loss was due to abysmal play by our defensive backs. The offense put up more than enough points to win that game. We will see how this season plays out, but if the trend that we've seen in the games being discussed by OP, I think we win the west. That said, if bad Nate shows up in two or three games, as he did against Wisconsin and Northwestern, then he needs to be near flawless in the others. Let's hope he's finally shaken whatever caused those mishaps.

Two losses not one, Purdue & Northwestern.

It happens to all QBs. Here is over 6 minutes of the greatest QB in NFL history F'ing up big time. It happens.

View attachment 5539

Nice job! As ol’ Mark Twain said, “There is nothing more irritating than a good example.”

I have a suggestion for you. I am serious on this one. I am not attacking your views on Nate. Watch a couple of college games and focus on the QB. Then report back on how many and what kind of miss fires you see, of any variety. This activity may or may not support your criticism of Stanley. But it would help your credibility.

It isn't "how many" but "when."

Although accuracy percentages are important, as another mentioned, the big misses are the heartbreaker/game changers lots of time.

The Wisconsin game is the big one. Hope he is on his game against his home state team. Hopefully it will look like the walkaway vs Ohio State!!

Stanley has the chance to be Iowa's signature QB, and an NFL player, given his size, arm, etc.
Take a look at my reply to NC and give it a shot. Report back. No, I am not trying to negate your views. Just think it would be interesting.

Also doesn't show how many of those passes are dump offs, which he does a lot. Who isn't accurate while dumping the ball off, or throwing less than 10 yards? 7 completions Saturday were at or behind the line of scrimmage. He is not accurate. Especially over 10 yards, and this isn't even debatable. He simply cannot stretch the field, and this is going to kill us against a decent defense. Watch on almost every completion the receiver has to slow down, stop, or adjust his route to catch the ball. Rarely do they catch the ball in stride so they can get the most yards after the catch. His deep ball is not good, nor has it ever been. Perfect example the pass to Ragaini that was a sure td that he had to slow down and wait on.

I have a suggestion for you. I am serious on this one. I am not attacking your views on Nate. Watch a couple of college games and focus on the QB. Then report back on how many and what kind of miss fires you see, of any variety. This activity may or may not support your criticism of Stanley. But it would help your credibility.
How does this make it acceptable for our qb though? Doesn't matter what other qb are doing, and Nate is supposedly high on the draft board, which makes it even worse. Shouldn't someone that is supposedly getting drafted high have consistent accuracy? Another thing that is hard to see on TV, but very easy to see at the games is that he often locks on to a guy, and fails to see another receiver that is breaking wide open. He will not throw into tight windows, and anticipate the receiver breaking open. This could be a result of the coaching staff preaching no turnovers, but a qb has to be able to thread the needle. Hell the freshman for Miami of Ohio did it. The pass Nate threw to Smith-Marsette that he dropped when he was held, was a great pass. He has got to have that accuracy consistently though, and by this point in his career you either have it or you don't.

This. I like Nate, but his completion % is padded by all the short dump offs. Missed opportunities and bad reads don't show up on a stat line. I'd prefer a little lower % that included a couple of longer completions. But that's not KFz's game. Which brings us back to the question that has lingered since Brad Banks; is it the QB or the coaching?

Don't confuse me with the other guy who posted repeat negative stuff

You know what, the second Super Bowl the Patriots lost to the Giants, heck maybe even both of them, Tom Brady was off with his throws. He had receivers really open and key moments and did not make accurate throws that were incomplete. Those Giants teams did have a good pass rush so maybe that was it but like the OP says all qbs can have this issue. Otherwise great free throw shooters would shout 99%, qbs would complete 80 percent, pitchers would hardly ever walk a batter, and pro golfers would hit every drive in the fairway which they do not. It just isnt that easy all the time

So let's hope Nate keeps improving but also give him a break too
Welker catches that pass, point is moot.....ugh

How does this make it acceptable for our qb though? Doesn't matter what other qb are doing, and Nate is supposedly high on the draft board, which makes it even worse. Shouldn't someone that is supposedly getting drafted high have consistent accuracy? Another thing that is hard to see on TV, but very easy to see at the games is that he often locks on to a guy, and fails to see another receiver that is breaking wide open. He will not throw into tight windows, and anticipate the receiver breaking open. This could be a result of the coaching staff preaching no turnovers, but a qb has to be able to thread the needle. Hell the freshman for Miami of Ohio did it. The pass Nate threw to Smith-Marsette that he dropped when he was held, was a great pass. He has got to have that accuracy consistently though, and by this point in his career you either have it or you don't.
Caddy, you are making the case for the OP and seemed to be "locked on" to the narrative. Geez Louise, this narrative does not hold water any more.

Here is some more food for thought that I posted a couple of weeks ago and have now updated after week 1 ...

Selected career college QB Stats:

Hall of Famers:

Drew Brees 61.1% completion/90 TDs/ 45 INTs/ 2.00 TD/INT ratio
Tom Brady 61.9% completion/30 TDs/17 INTs/ 1.76 TD/INT ratio
Joe Montana 52.0% completion/25 TDs/15 INTs/ 1.67 TD/INT ratio
Brett Favre 52.4% completion/52 TDs/34 INTs/ 1.53 TD/INT ratio
Dan Marino 57.6% completion/79 TDs/69 INTs/ 1.14 TD/INT ratio

Iowa QBs:

Nate Stanley 58.1% completion/55 TDs/16 INTs/ 3.43TD/INT ratio
CJ Beathard 58.1% completion/40 TDs/19 INTs/ 2.10 TD/INT ratio
Drew Tate 61.0% completion/61 TDs/34 INTs/ 1.79 TD/INT ratio
Chuck Long 64.9% completion/70 TDs/46 INTs/ 1.52 TD/INT ratio