Chances of Iowa in the BCS

rodthompson

What does everyone here think of our chances of making a BCS bowl if we win out? And obviously that is a huge if. I believe all of the remaining games will be nerve racking. Even the Minnesota game. Especially if they are playing for their first Big 10 win. Don't see Wisconsin losing, so they would win the league. I'm beginning to think Joe Pa could give the Spartans a game at the end of the year.

Opinions?

If Iowa, MSU, & Wisconsin win out 0%. MSU goes to Rose and Wisconsin goes to BCS at large.

If Iowa & Wisconsin win out, and OSU finishes 10-2, not likely but not out of the question. Ohio St will probably get picked over Iowa even with the head to head loss.

If Iowa & MSU win out, 100%, Rose Bowl.

I don't see Wisconsin losing again either. I think if we win out we will have an outside shot at a bcs game. I think Alabama and oky losing helped.

If Iowa, MSU, & Wisconsin win out 0%. MSU goes to Rose and Wisconsin goes to BCS at large.

If Iowa & Wisconsin win out, and OSU finishes 10-2, not likely but not out of the question. Ohio St will probably get picked over Iowa even with the head to head loss.

If Iowa & MSU win out, 100%, Rose Bowl.

If we all win out, Wisconsin would go to the Rose Bowl as head to head doesn't apply since there is a three way tie so it would come down to overall record, MSU and Wisconsin would be 11-1, then BCS rankings where Wisconsin would be ahead. We will be a better BCS pick than Mich St. but would be competing with Stanford and Boise for an at large pick.

If we all win out, Wisconsin would go to the Rose Bowl as head to head doesn't apply since there is a three way tie so it would come down to overall record, MSU and Wisconsin would be 11-1, then BCS rankings where Wisconsin would be ahead. We will be a better BCS pick than Mich St. but would be competing with Stanford and Boise for an at large pick.

Maybe I'm misinformed but if Iowa, MSU, & Wisconsin have a 3 way tie it can't be broken by head to head because all teams are 1-1 against each other.

So then it goes to overall record, Iowa gets aced out. MSU then gets nod based on head to head win. I read that on OSU scout site so that may not be correct.

Many people were talking about a 1 loss Alabama getting into the Nat'l Champ game. I realize a lot would have to happen - but a lot happened today. Is it possible for a 1 loss Wisconsin to play for the National Championship?

LSU loses to Arkansas
Auburn loses to 'Bama and in SEC Champ
Nebraska loses in Big XII Champ

Oregon, Boise St. and TCU undefeated.

Wisconsin highest ranked 1 loss team.

If Wisconsin wins out and goes to Nat'l Champ and Iowa wins out - do we automatically get into Rose Bowl?

I don't see the Sugar taking Stanford or Boise over an available Iowa team. MSU does not have BCS travel cache at all

I really dont see much of a path for Wisky to get to title game. Wisky will NOT jump undefeated TCU.

Maybe I'm misinformed but if Iowa, MSU, & Wisconsin have a 3 way tie it can't be broken by head to head because all teams are 1-1 against each other.

So then it goes to overall record, Iowa gets aced out. MSU then gets nod based on head to head win. I read that on OSU scout site so that may not be correct.

They don't go back to tiebreakers once they've passed them.
First round: head to head - can't break the tie, all three teams are still alive
Second round: overall record - eliminates Iowa
Third round: BCS ranking - Wisconsin would be higher than MSU, this is the same way the Big XII South was decided between Texas, Oklahoma and Tech a couple years ago.

From B10 offical website. Am I reading this wrong? MSU, Wisconsin, & Iowa win out for 3-way tie, that should send MSU to Rose Bowl because once Iowa is eliminated from 3 team tie breaker it goes back to the two way tiebreaker which is head to head and favors MSU.
  1. If more than two teams tie for the championship, the same selection procedures shall be followed with the following exceptions:
  2. If three teams are tied, and if one team defeated both of the other teams, then that team shall be the representative.
  3. If three teams are still tied, and if two of the three teams defeated the third team, the third team is eliminated, and the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
  4. If three teams are still tied, and there is a tie game between two of the three teams, or if two or all three of the teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on a percentage basis of all games played.
  5. If three teams are still tied, and one of the three teams is eliminated through the percentage basis of all games played, the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
  6. If three teams are still tied, and all three teams have the same winning percentage of all games played, the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings shall be the representative.

Last edited:
Yes, they do try to go back to a two team tie once a third team is eliminated. If Iowa had beaten Arizona, THEN they wouldnt go back and they would revert to BCS. but that didnt happen

From B10 offical website. Am I reading this wrong? MSU, Wisconsin, & Iowa win out for 3-way tie, that should send MSU to Rose Bowl.
  1. If more than two teams tie for the championship, the same selection procedures shall be followed with the following exceptions:
  2. If three teams are tied, and if one team defeated both of the other teams, then that team shall be the representative.
  3. If three teams are still tied, and if two of the three teams defeated the third team, the third team is eliminated, and the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
  4. If three teams are still tied, and there is a tie game between two of the three teams, or if two or all three of the teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on a percentage basis of all games played.
  5. If three teams are still tied, and one of the three teams is eliminated through the percentage basis of all games played, the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
  6. If three teams are still tied, and all three teams have the same winning percentage of all games played, the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings shall be the representative.

Well, looks like you're right. I've been seeing Wisconsin being projected as going to the Rose Bowl all day though.

I don't either but TCU going to the title game and Stanford going to the Rose Bowl would eliminate another BCS spot.

IMO, that slot is gone anyway..I think either BOTH TCU and Boise are in Top four, which takes second Pac 10 away, or Boise falls to 5th, and Rose takes second Pac 10 team and Boise does NOT get an at large.

You have to look at WHAT BCS Bowl we are talking about here, which is the Sugar, who has the first pick this year after the replacement picks, and could have one of the first two replacement picks. That bowl is not taking Stanford or Boise

Well, looks like you're right. I've been seeing Wisconsin being projected as going to the Rose Bowl all day though.

I have to. They must projecting MSU to lose.

But hey, this is the last year of this B10 tie breaking nonsense. Of course there could be tie breakers neaded to decide tied divison champions. Damn it!