Chameleon BX

Zstatman

What are the ways a high school senior has to get to the NBA under the current rules requiring a player has to be one year out of high school and at least 19 years of age?

1. One and done NCAA
2. new G League program - can get paid up to $500k, with life and strength training as well as playing
3. Overseas
- Euroleague
- Australian NBL
- China Basketball Association

and now Chamelion BX.

One aspect of the game of many of these one year programs is that the players aren't really ready for the NBA. They get drafted on potential but many sit on the end of the bench, don't get their fourth year option exercised to get to that second lucrative contract, get sent to the G League and they may or may not make it. Somewhere along the way the players have to make a quantum leap in game and strength.

Chameleon BX is a 12 month program for elite HS players that strives to get players ready for the draft and then playing in the NBA. An interesting concept of the program is that Chameleon BX doesn't get paid until the player gets his second NBA contract. It is an intense program. Attached below is an article on one of the players entering the program this summer.

Interesting

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...or-nba-draft-with-chameleon-bx-301043551.html

6'10" Isaiah Todd decommited from Michigan and has entered the G League program making $500k.

I see that Giannis' youngest brother, 6'7 Alex, rather than play for DePaul is opting to go to the Euroleague to play professionally for a year in getting ready for the 2021 NBA draft.

I didn't realize Giannis has two brother in the NBA already, one with the Bucks and another with the Lakers.

I see that Giannis' youngest bsrother, 6'7 Alex, rather than play for DePaul is opting to go to the Euroleague to play professionally for a year in getting ready for the 2021 NBA draft.

I didn't realize Giannis has two brother in the NBA already, one with the Bucks and another with the Lakers.
It's like trying to keep track of Rick Barry's kids.

He's had at least five play NBA or division one and he may still have more out there. Who knows!

Now I see that Zion Williamson and Duke are under scrutiny.

This is like a broker record isn't it? An organization funnels money to the Williamson family to let them lead the good life while choosing to play at Duke for one year then getting the riches the NBA offers. The the organization gets stiffed when it comes to getting the lucrative agent contract and cries foul.

Question is did Coach K and Duke know about itall? Probably. Can it be proved? Not likely.

Will anything happen? Again, not likely. Zion will make his millions. Coach K keeps his reputation. Duke stays among the college elite.

This is like a broker record isn't it? An organization funnels money to the Williamson family to let them lead the good life while choosing to play at Duke for one year then getting the riches the NBA offers. The the organization gets stiffed when it comes to getting the lucrative agent contract and cries foul.

Question is did Coach K and Duke know about itall? Probably. Can it be proved? Not likely.

Will anything happen? Again, not likely. Zion will make his millions. Coach K keeps his reputation. Duke stays among the college elite.

Honestly I absolutely love the fact that the organization got stiffed. Both parties are doing something shady to begin with knowing its against the rules so IMO a player in the game got outplayed. Sorry not sorry.

the NCAA will NEVER touch Coach K or Duke. Never.

The biggest joke about NCAA basketball is that the NCAA profits from the NCAA tournament. So why the hell would the NCAA murder their primary revenue stream? They wouldnt. IMO if a "non-profit" pulls in over a billion dollars a year on a televised sporting event...they are not a non-profit.

I used to think the NCAA should change their likeness rules and let kids profit off their names. Now I think the better way might be to just create avenues for kids to go pro without going to college. Let the kids who actually want to go to college go to college. It would also (probably) smooth out the competitive disadvantages.

the NCAA will NEVER touch Coach K or Duke. Never.

The biggest joke about NCAA basketball is that the NCAA profits from the NCAA tournament. So why the hell would the NCAA murder their primary revenue stream? They wouldnt. IMO if a "non-profit" pulls in over a billion dollars a year on a televised sporting event...they are not a non-profit.

I used to think the NCAA should change their likeness rules and let kids profit off their names. Now I think the better way might be to just create avenues for kids to go pro without going to college. Let the kids who actually want to go to college go to college. It would also (probably) smooth out the competitive disadvantages.
I don't think this would happen. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Mich St, etc. would still get the best talent going to college.

In creating this thread after reading the Chameleon BX article I thought to myself what is the moral of the story and how does it relate to our Hawkeyes?

The landscape is changing rapidly on how kids go from high school to the pros, whatever level it is they go to. As it stands now Iowa doesn't really recruit at a high enough level to go after these 5 star athletes that are going to the G League, Chameleon BX, and to the blue bloods of college basketball. Really the G League and Chameleon BX are the new competitors to the blue bloods. 'm guessing the blue bloods will have to pony up even more money to get the top athletes.

I think it also means the top programs will have to go deeper into the high school ranks to get the players they feel they need to compete at their higher levels. I see where Arizona just brought in 3 international players they recruited with FIBA ties. Schools will look anywhere they have to.

I think for schools like Iowa, the 'developmental' schools, it might even become more of a challenge to get the talent they currently get. They will have to dig deeper and look further to find their type of player.

I sometimes like to think how interesting it would be to see the one year academic records of the one and done players for, say, the last 10 years.

I don't think this would happen. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Mich St, etc. would still get the best talent going to college.

Right but if you went with the baseball model where college players had to stay for 3 years then the talent would likely thin out more as the top tier athletes went to other avenues (G League, overseas, etc). So the top high school studs wouldnt go to college and the 3-4 star guys that duke/kentucky got wouldnt be THAT much better than the 3 star guys Iowa got.

This model will likely never happen, but it would really bring the amateur back to college bball

Right but if you went with the baseball model where college players had to stay for 3 years then the talent would likely thin out more as the top tier athletes went to other avenues (G League, overseas, etc). So the top high school studs wouldnt go to college and the 3-4 star guys that duke/kentucky got wouldnt be THAT much better than the 3 star guys Iowa got.

This model will likely never happen, but it would really bring the amateur back to college bball

I like this baseball model idea, makes too much sense so it would likely never happen. Can you imagine the blue bloods if something like this were in the works?

I like this baseball model idea, makes too much sense so it would likely never happen. Can you imagine the blue bloods if something like this were in the works?

It would really get college bball back to coaching and developing players rather than who can get the most one and dones. I think you'd see schools like Villanova and Gonzaga really excel while schools like Kentucky and Arizona really start to tank.

It would really get college bball back to coaching and developing players rather than who can get the most one and dones. I think you'd see schools like Villanova and Gonzaga really excel while schools like Kentucky and Arizona really start to tank.
Shnikies...I was hoping you hadn't left permanently.

Latest posts