Chad Gilson leaves UNI and walks on at Iowa

We just stole another 1AA player? Progress!
\

As long as he walks on, I don't care if they stole another 1AA player. If they gave him a scholarship I might wanna see him in action first. Then again he is the same size as Morris. Maybe he is better at shedding blocks and making plays than Morris.

\

As long as he walks on, I don't care if they stole another 1AA player. If they gave him a scholarship I might wanna see him in action first. Then again he is the same size as Morris. Maybe he is better at shedding blocks and making plays than Morris.

Exactly. It's a no risk situation. He's not taking a scholarship away from anyone.

Exactly. It's a no risk situation. He's not taking a scholarship away from anyone.

The only way he is taking up a spot is if he makes the 105 man roster or dresses on game day. Then it all depends on who's spot he takes. Pretty sure once you get to that point you are just switching around walk-ons so you are right it really probably is a no risk situation.

you have to earn the right to be part of the 20 to show up early, then at a later date the roster expands to 125, a walkon is always a good thing to have, and sometimes a stud is found

rudy.jpg

I think walk ons are valuable, I mean Iowa probably wouldn't have Weisman without the walk on process. But I think the days of offering walk ons out of HS and building them up and them having a decent SR to me is a little bit of a waste for the teams long term success. Unless they are splitting time with a younger play who is going to eventually gain the experience to take over for more than a year or so.

I just think that since Iowa can't reload but has to rebuild, they need more multi-year starters with less walk ons unless they have the talent to really compete against other teams, not just the competition for a starting job on the team.

I would rather see a young kid make mistakes and get burnt and then get better and better as the year goes on then a walk on who doesn't seem to really grow as a player but merely be serviceable for a season.

Looks like he may be one of the smaller hybrid type LBers. Having a few more these guys around couldn't hurt anything.
I say welcome to the club young fella.

Looks like he may be one of the smaller hybrid type LBers. Having a few more these guys around couldn't hurt anything.
I say welcome to the club young fella.

He is roughly the same size as Morris. Any kid who wants to play at Iowa deserves his shot.

Maybe he proves he is worth a scholarship and I hope he does, that would mean this move is a win, win.

He is roughly the same size as Morris. Any kid who wants to play at Iowa deserves his shot.

Maybe he proves he is worth a scholarship and I hope he does, that would mean this move is a win, win.

He's a little smaller and lighter than Morris, so closer to a hybrid LB. I don't know any of his stats, so can't say if he's fast. But if he is slightly lighter than Morris, than perhaps the half a step quicker needed would make him a great addition.
I think it's a good thing he is getting a shot. Perhaps he'll have the "chip on the shoulder" attitude that'll help push the other LBers. Agreed... Win win.

He's a little smaller and lighter than Morris, so closer to a hybrid LB. I don't know any of his stats, so can't say if he's fast. But if he is slightly lighter than Morris, than perhaps the half a step quicker needed would make him a great addition.
I think it's a good thing he is getting a shot. Perhaps he'll have the "chip on the shoulder" attitude that'll help push the other LBers. Agreed... Win win.

James Morris Profile - Iowa Official Athletic Site

Chad Gilson Biography - Official Site of University of Northern Iowa Athletics

I have attached the profiles of James Morris and Chad Gilson. James is 6'2" (72 inchs) at 230, Chad is 6' (70 inches) at 223 so I am not sure I would consider him a hybrid LB and not James. Chad is 2 inches shorter and 7 pounds lighter. Based on their heigh to weight ratio they are similar sized players.

I don't think Morris is slow, his issue is not being able to shed a blocker once he is engaged.

Not to bang on the kid but this don't fill me with excitement: "2011: Played in seven games for the Panthers as a linebacker ... recorded one solo tackle against Stephen F. Austin (9/10)"

Do remember watching him in a HS playoff v. Dowling and playing QB / MLB - tough as nails... heard he wants to see if he can play at this level ... I'm sure he thought he could after being on field v. Iowa last Sept.

That playoffs when they beat Valley he had like 5 or 6 touchdowns scored like 4 different ways. He had an interception return, fumble return passing and rushing I think. And the defensive returns were all long scores. He was a monster his sr yr. Valley was favored heavily going into the game and the U shut em out like 48-0 or something nuts like that. He was a redshirt frosh in 2011 and didn't play much obviously. It's not like he started and played all game long and only had the 1 tackle.

Um ... Dave ... where exactly did you learn that 6' = 70 inches and 6' 2 = 72 inches? You might want to re-check your math on that one...

Um ... Dave ... where exactly did you learn that 6' = 70 inches and 6' 2 = 72 inches? You might want to re-check your math on that one...

You're right, my bad! 6 foot equals 72 inches, 6 foot 2 inches equals 74 inches.

Thanks Tkingpin!

Either way, based on height to weight ratio, they are similar size players.

Latest posts