CFN Preview - Gator Bowl

Sooby

Yes, I know it's the Taxslayer Bowl, but it's still the Gator Bowl to me, dammit.
Pretty good analysis. I expect UT to be a 5-point favorite, a low scoring game, and Dobbs mobility at QB being the difference.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1488955.html

Iowa vs. Tennessee

- A massive disappointment considering the relatively easy schedule and the solid team returning, Iowa needs to rebound with a bowl win after losing three of its last four games including a blasting against Minnesota and two heartbreakers to Wisconsin and Nebraska. The best win this year was against … Pitt? Illinois? There’s a prove-it factor for a coaching staff that’s under scrutiny after such a rough year, but the team doesn’t get penalized, the offense can get hot at times, and the pass defense is terrific.

- It always seems like Tennessee is rebuilding, but there really is something interesting happening with a slew of great young talents and a dynamic quarterback in Joshua Dobbs. The defense has been excellent, and it’s had to be with the offense struggling so much until Dobbs became a factor. Winning three of the last four games, with the only loss coming to Missouri, has made this a hot team at the right time, and with a win, the offseason finally might not be about how the team is still a year away.

First Reaction: You try to figure out Iowa. The Hawkeyes did a nice job at the end of the year of hanging around, but they couldn’t complete the comeback against Wisconsin, and they couldn’t close out Nebraska. Tennessee is going to be looking for a statement in the Butch Jones era, and the speed and athleticism will be too much on both sides of the ball. It’ll be a ragged game, but Joshua Dobbs will be the difference.
First Prediction: Tennessee 20 … Iowa 17

Great opportunity for Scherff to check out the home of the
Jacksonville Jaguars....they will be drafting early in the 2015 NFL draft and this could be Brandon's new home.

UT gave up a lot of sacks wih an inexperienced offensive line. Iowa's defensive line will control the line and shut things down.

I think Iowa is just too strong for them Iowa squeezes the life out of them and wins the game in the 31-17 range.

Butch Jones just got extended to 2020 at UT.
The record may not show it, but Tennessee is vastly improving.

The program at Tennessee is definately on the up and up. They have a lot of young talent. However, I think Iowa can and will win this one in the trenches.

I think Iowa is just too strong for them Iowa squeezes the life out of them and wins the game in the 31-17 range.

Generally speaking, speed will negate strength. I haven't seen one down of a UT game this season, but if they are fast and their qb is mobile, then Iowa can't stay with the speed. While Iowa's D is pretty sound, they do get caught out of position and they aren't fast enough to recover. Iowa needs to be careful of misdirection and big plays deep (Lowdermilk.)

Again, haven't seen UT at all this season, but if they are measurable to MD, we could have problems on offense. What hurt us a lot vs MD in the first half is when their D line was able to pressure both run & pass. If Iowa comes in with the same game plan (they will) then we will be predictable and the UT coaches will be able to help what I believe is a young team.

TN has skill guys all over the place. They have 3 good wrs and a big running back. He's not the fastest but he's pretty big like 6'2 230ish. He's been compared to Eddie George style/size wise. Their problems are with the O line and QB. Dobbs is the type of qb that can give us fits if he's on. Keep him in pocket and get pressure I like our chances. If he has time to throw and he's on or he can get out and move around then he'll make some big plays.... I wish the other qb they had starting earlier this year was still playing. He was more of a statue. I'm not sure if hes hurt or just benched.

The program at Tennessee is definately on the up and up. They have a lot of young talent. However, I think Iowa can and will win this one in the trenches.

I agree and it's amazing how we haven't seen this strong advantage at the line of scrimmage this season.
Iowa may have 4 guys get drafted from the OL and DL, and our running back has struggled and pressure on the QB, has been average.

Tennessee OL is not that great, but these 15 extra practices, may see them gel.

I live in Nashville and this area bleeds Orange. I can tell you from the ground that Tennessee is going to be up for this game as they haven't been to a bowl game since 2010. I've listened to some of the player interviews following their win against Vandy and the SRs were pumped being bowl eligible for the first time in their college career. I hope we are ready to play this game because if not, we are going to get run out of the stadium.

About the only thing I can give KF credit for these days is that he always seems to have a good gameplan in place for bowl games. May be one of the best around with long preparation times. I really think if Iowa gets run off the field, it is a really good sign the game has passed him by. I expect a decent showing by the Hawks and that may be enough to beat Tennessee?

"...the speed and athleticism will be too much on both sides of the ball."

Do they just copy and paste the same "preview" every year Iowa faces an SEC team?

Latest posts