CBS Sports has Iowa #16 (Crazy)

longtimer

Was reading an article on web this morning about Moss going to Kansas pushing their preseason rank to 7. Went on to rank top 25 with everyone's favorite Michigan State #1. Still listed JB as part of 19-20 team but #16?

Sounds like a ranking put together by someone who didn't do their homework.
Some of it's based on last season alone. Iowa does/did have a lot of momentum that they rode off of last season. This off season has taken a ton of the glow off that, but it's still there regardless of what a lot of poster sell on here. If Jbo were to play, Jbo, Luka and JW make up 3 of best players you'll find on the same roster in the B1G. Take Jordan out of that equation and things drastically look different IMO, but I still expect this team to be competitive. They are likely no better than a bubble team, but ya never know. I expect the NCAA and will no matter who our coach throws out there, this is his bed, this is his roster and it's his 10th season, he needs to keep producing regardless of the circumstance and he still has enough to do it IMO.

That is based on nothing but last year's results. Just throwing darts in a slow time of the season.

Cross CBS Sports off my list for reliable information.

fake-news-1024x578.png

Having the JB outlook this early will help. This allows a few months to work with guys on their new and/or expanded roles.

We have 2 go to guys on offense, guys with experience, likely an improved defense, a grad transfer with D1 experience and 3 new guys with potential. Having 2 featured players will take pressure off the others.

We have enough talent IMO. So I’m optimistic. And I think we will have a good season. But we shouldn’t be ranked IMO.

Having the JB outlook this early will help. This allows a few months to work with guys on their new and/or expanded roles.

We have 2 go to guys on offense, guys with experience, likely an improved defense, a grad transfer with D1 experience and 3 new guys with potential. Having 2 featured players will take pressure off the others.

We have enough talent IMO. So I’m optimistic. And I think we will have a good season. But we shouldn’t be ranked IMO.
Why do you feel we will likely have an improved defense? Typically freshman have some growing pains on that end. Baer was our best defender last year by a pretty wide margin. Cook and Moss ranked 2nd and 4th respectively in defensive win shares.

Why do you feel we will likely have an improved defense? Typically freshman have some growing pains on that end. Baer was our best defender last year by a pretty wide margin. Cook and Moss ranked 2nd and 4th respectively in defensive win shares.
I know everyone loves all the analytics, etc. that are available. I go by what I saw for myself when watching the games. I think Baer is the only loss of significance.

From everything I’ve read about our incoming freshmen they are good defenders. They may be behind in strength or outside shooting and ahead of the typical freshman on the defensive end.

And we aren’t just bringing in 2 freshmen. We are bringing in a guy that’s played 3 years of D1. We are adding 2 RS guys that have played 3 years of D1 combined and adding another that is a year removed from high school.

And even if they were the 2nd and 4th best defenders that doesn’t mean much on a bad defensive team. If our 4th leading scorer averaged 4 PPG I don’t think that’s too tough to replace.

I know everyone loves all the analytics, etc. that are available. I go by what I saw for myself when watching the games. I think Baer is the only loss of significance.

From everything I’ve read about our incoming freshmen they are good defenders. They may be behind in strength or outside shooting and ahead of the typical freshman on the defensive end.

And we aren’t just bringing in 2 freshmen. We are bringing in a guy that’s played 3 years of D1. We are adding 2 RS guys that have played 3 years of D1 combined and adding another that is a year removed from high school.

And even if they were the 2nd and 4th best defenders that doesn’t mean much on a bad defensive team. If our 4th leading scorer averaged 4 PPG I don’t think that’s too tough to replace.
Strength is actually important on the defensive end. That could hurt CJF and Pat, two of the freshman. I’ve watched game highlights of Joe Touissaint. Imo he will have some growing pains on D despite being labeled a defensive stopper. He got lost on defense many times and while I like his mentality he’s going to have a lot to learn at the college level.

Our defense last year was actually better than the two prior years, so we can say it’s bad, which it is, but that doesn’t mean it’s a guarantee it can’t get worse.

I’m not saying we can’t have a better defensive team next year, it’s possible I guess, I’m just having a tough time seeing how it’s expected. In a weird way not having JBo will probably make us a better defensive team, however likely a worse team overall with the loss of offense.

Nunge will be a plus defender. He’s huge and a shot blocker. That’s a big deal. He needs to hit the boards bc that’s where Iowa will moss Cook the most. He really hit the boards hard at key times at the end of games last year. Overall adding a shot blocker who is 250 tall and long should help. Adding quicks at the 1-2 am should help too but given inexperience, I expect a push to only slightly improved D this season.

I gotta agree that while Cook and Moss were statistically the 2 and 4 defenders, they were both bad. Of course it's possible we will replace bad with worse, but I'm betting on better. The problem is we could potentially have a slightly better defense and a significantly worse offense, making us an overall worse team. All I know is I've seen Moss and Cook defend for 3 years and I'll bet on random unknown over them any day of the week.

Who was our 3rd leading scorer Uthoff's senior year when he and Jok did all the scoring? Whoever it was, their offense wasn't hard to replace.

Moss will do at Kansas what he did at Iowa. He will flash here and there. Since he has the Jayhawk uniform on it might bump him up to being a 2nd rd. draft pick. Which really doesn't mean a whole lot.

Man trying to predict how Iowa will do in hoops has to be a pretty impossible thing to accurately do. I'm a big Twins fan and coming into this yr I thought they could give the Indians a run for their money for the division. But in no way did I see any of what they're doing coming. They are about to smash the record books and make the 27 Yankees seem like a tball team with the home run pace they are on.
So much of how Iowa might do will depend on the rest of the league too. So let's slow our expectations a little and see how things look closer to tip off

Moss will do at Kansas what he did at Iowa. He will flash here and there. Since he has the Jayhawk uniform on it might bump him up to being a 2nd rd. draft pick. Which really doesn't mean a whole lot.

Wouldn't the teams that would potentially draft him give him a workout first? Any chance of getting drafted would end there most likely.

Man trying to predict how Iowa will do in hoops has to be a pretty impossible thing to accurately do. I'm a big Twins fan and coming into this yr I thought they could give the Indians a run for their money for the division. But in no way did I see any of what they're doing coming. They are about to smash the record books and make the 27 Yankees seem like a tball team with the home run pace they are on.
So much of how Iowa might do will depend on the rest of the league too. So let's slow our expectations a little and see how things look closer to tip off

Actually picking Iowa basketball os pretty easy. Just pick them to be within a game or two from the bubble and you would be right 6 out of the last 7 years. I don't feel the need to wait closer to tip to have those expectations.