CBS announcer bashes Jets' 'absurd' touchdown celebration

I agree. What's the big deal? Some teams are more disciplined that others. This is reflected in the actions of the players, coaches and especially the fanbases. The Jets are acting likes Jets.

I do give the Pats credit for not stooping to the level of their fanbase. It seems like they've actually raised the bar for their fans with their exceptional discipline.

I watched the whole game and it seemed to me that Nantz could barely contain his dislike of the Jets. I think he really wanted the "classy" Pats to win that game. After Greene's touchdown, Nantz couldn't hold back any longer.

Agreed. Nance seems to be pretty pro-Pats the entire game.

I watched the whole game and it seemed to me that Nantz could barely contain his dislike of the Jets. I think he really wanted the "classy" Pats to win that game. After Greene's touchdown, Nantz couldn't hold back any longer.

Fortunately, former Giants QB Phil Simms stood up for Shonn. "I gotta say this: there's a time to celebrate, yeah, that was it. You can't control yourself some times. What a job by the Jets."

As a big Shonn Greene fan, I have to say that I'd rather see him emulate Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith than Chad Johnson. Don't really care, but those td celebrations are kind of stupid. Just spike it and celebrate with your o-line.

I agree. What's the big deal? Some teams are more disciplined that others. This is reflected in the actions of the players, coaches and especially the fanbases. The Jets are acting likes Jets.

I do give the Pats credit for not stooping to the level of their fanbase. It seems like they've actually raised the bar for their fans with their exceptional discipline.

People forget that the Patriots do this stuff all the time on the field. Remember after they came from behind about 5 years ago to beat the Chargers in the playoffs? The Patriots players were being so cocky that LT got into it with them after the game. But yet, they have the media fooled into believing they are classier than everyone else. They are not

This. He was just p*ssed that the Pats were going to lose. I'm certainly no Jets fan either, but I'm sick of New England.

Besides, the Pats are pretty "classless" too. I loved Welker's comments earlier in the week, but that's no different than the stuff coming out of the Jets' camp. It was hilarious, but not morally superior. I don't really care one way or the other on most of that kind of stuff. There's some things that I think are over the line (namely the trash-talking/cat-fighting that's been happening after seemingly every play in the playoffs so far), but celebrations and pre-game trash-talking are usually fine by me.

People need to remember that the easiest way to prevent excessive celebration, or any celebration for that matter is simple. Keep your opponent out of the endzone!!! If you do that then there's nothing to complain about.

Yeah, Deion Branch was real classy when he stood and screamed at the Jets sideline after catching a first down.

I think you are seeing a division in the NFL between the Old Guard and the in-your-face up-and-comers, currently represented by Rex Ryan and the Jets.

The Old Guard doesn't appreciate being challenged, doesn't like the pre-game trash talk, feels coaches and players ought to be respectful of each other (that is when they are not colliding head-on into each other on the field).

Tony Dungy didn't like the profanity and rough talk from Ryan and his staff in the HBO pre-season series Hard Knocks. Other coaches/players turned commentators have ripped on Ryan for various things the past two years. During the Fox Sports pre-game show Sunday, Terry Bradshaw flat-out said he did not respect Ryan's style and would not like to play for him.

Nantz is clearly part of the Old Guard. So it could be expected that he did not appreciate Shonn's TD celebration.

What is sort of surprising is that his broadcasting booth partner so quickly jumped in to say if you're going to celebrate, now's the time to do it, and way to go Jets. That from a rival ex-Giant.

As a big Shonn Greene fan, I have to say that I'd rather see him emulate Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith than Chad Johnson. Don't really care, but those td celebrations are kind of stupid. Just spike it and celebrate with your o-line.

It's the NFL and not college...in college, I have a huge problem with celebrations, but he is making a ton of coin off of this one celebration. He likely has a limited number of years to make as much $ as he can, so if he gets an endorsement deal and a lot of recognition out of this, good for Shonn. He's a pretty shy guy, anyway. Maybe he is starting to bust out of his shell.

It's the NFL and not college...in college, I have a huge problem with celebrations, but he is making a ton of coin off of this one celebration. He likely has a limited number of years to make as much $ as he can, so if he gets an endorsement deal and a lot of recognition out of this, good for Shonn. He's a pretty shy guy, anyway. Maybe he is starting to bust out of his shell.

I think the economic argument is a fair/good one (Chad Johnson/85 is a good example of somebody that has made millions from raising his profile - Marvin Harrison is an example of somebody that prolly left millions on the table).

I really couldn't care less, but just think these guys look like morons when perform the endzone celebrations or celebrate after a tackle (Sean Merriman). Don't care at end of the day, though.

So you want him to be selfish and money-grubbing like most of Emmitt's teammates thought of him throughout most (not all) of his career.

After watching the replay, IMO, the ref flagged Greene for his gesture to the crowd, before he even went to the ground. There is a double standard with the NFL. Had LT done that, he probably would not have been flagged, and Nantz would have never said anything. The NFL loves certain players, and never makes any attempt to promote others.

Nantz was just pouting, that is all there is to it. It was a bad call, and instead of bringing that up, he jumped all over Greene. Just wait until they start taking points of the board for lousy call like that, it will get ugly.

I am not a big fan of over celebrations, lambo leaps, spiking the ball, celebrating sacking the QB. It's all kind of stupid. I don't slam down a stack of papers when i DO MY JOB. They get paid to do those things. Then again remember football is for entertainment. It pumps up the crowd...it gets views...talked about on message boards, so i understand its needed.

All announcers are pretty much idiots. They are only there because it would be boring to just listen to the crowd for most people. Every now and then they give you needed or valuable information, but for the most part, they are individuals that are over paid for pointing out the obvious.

The flag was justified, but come on it was a lame celebration. The best part was Rex running down to join them. Was not as good as Owens sharpie celebration or the Ickey shuffle. Those are classic.

Jim Nantz is an insufferable blowhard who tries to be in the hip pocket of the perceived cream-of-the-crop in any particular sport. If Tom Brady had dropped a deuce on the 50 yard line, Nantz probably would have called him charismatic.

an endorsement deal?

Latest posts