"cautiously optimistic"

Kindabigdeal

I'm as excited for the 2010 Hawkeye football season as anyone. However, looking through Jon's breakdown brings home the reality how many tough games the Hawks have. I'm dreaming of the undefeated season or even 2 losses but looking at each game makes you realize the challenge ahead. I think as fans we get lulled into a false sense of how great the team was last year, starting 9-0. We forget how many of those games could have easily gone the other way. I'm thinking right now, I can't remember a single team we blew out last year...each win was close. (Later I remembered ISU, had to listen to that game on the radio as I was roofing my mom's house, impaired my memory)

In 2010, the breaks might not all go our way. Blocking 2 field goals consecutively to end the game, UNHEARD OF (yes, I'm going all caps with that one). Winning on a last second touchdown pass, that happens about once every 5 years. Coming back from down 20 thanks in part to some extremely kind officiating. These are all very rare things and they all happened in the same season last year. It was truly an amazing season.

Now, turning to 2010. Going to Arizona will be a battle. Their offense will be better than what we saw last year. And the game is at 9:30 Iowa time, 10 1/2 hours later than the Hawks are used to playing.

Iowa State is always a tossup. They'll be better next year as well.

PSU game is always close. Same with Wisconsin and MSU.

Michigan took us to the brink last year in Kinnick. They should be better and the Big House is still THE Big House.

Plain and simple, Northwestern has our number. Fitzgerald is a helluva coach and his team loves beating the Hawkeyes.

Indiana has given the Hawks fits over the majority of the last few years as well. This year, Iowa travels to Bloomington. Lynch is going to be telling those players all week long how they got robbed last year in Kinnick. They will be fired up.

OSU may be the best team in the country. Iowa has won that game what, 5 out of the last 30 years?

This could be a dream season or Iowa could finish 7-5. It's a very fine line.

Last edited:
""I think as fans we get lulled into a false sense of how great the team was last year, starting 10-0. ""

Really lulled, since it was 9-0 ;)

""I think as fans we get lulled into a false sense of how great the team was last year, starting 10-0. ""

Really lulled, since it was 9-0 ;)

My bad Jon. I've heard 10-0 somewhere, must have gotten confused with 2010 predictions.

Please try to get past those 2 incorrect characters and ponder the remaining 1000.

oh i agree...i get excited sitting here thinking what COULD be...but then i think of the other side of the coin on what COULD be.

our offense SHOULD be better...the defense, well, its the defense and is always tough. i don't know...its hard to say how the season will go. i had it 8-4 last year. this year, my heart says 12-0, my head says 10-2 with losses to OSU and probably northwestern(i hate northwestern).

i do know i will be in kinnick for every home game and glued to a tv for every away game, living and dying by what happens. but not sure my heart can take another 4th quarter like michigan state last year

It really is NOT an easy schedule. Good to have some of the tough games at home, but the late season travel schedule has some really good opportunities to get tripped up. Also, hate that late night game in Arizona and ISU, is well, ISU.

All comes down the O-line. If they come together, it could be very special.

Latest posts