Carver Arena is BORING

Fans would still leave early if they were able to jump on a transporter pad and be beamed directly to their homes from the top of the concourse. Changing traffic patterns in the area after games will not change that. I for one have never left a porting event early. I just don't see the point.

I can't tell you who I heard it from, but I was told when I was shooting yesterday's game that this is very much being discussed, possibly for as soon as next season.

Nothing like the old place. Your ears would be ringing for days after a game. God, I loved that place.

I am not sure about that, but I will look on Sunday's game. I would also like to do more historical research into Ralph Miller's reasoning and exactly what the scale model for the new arena looked like vs what it ended up being.

Also it is not exactly obvious at what point renovation is less cost effective than replacement. Could they have modernized the lower level seating, locker rooms, restrooms and concession areas at the fieldshouse too? Could they have done something different with the armory wing of seating to increase capacity and reduce the echo? Did the design limit plans too much? Does the CHA design make it too difficult now?

Above all is it easier to fundraise for a new arena vs a renovation. Generally these things take time too answer, and complete. An exception to this happened in 1924. Paul Belting as it said, he quickly determined that Iowa would need new athletic facilities for basketball and football. He also set up the funds at great speed and had them both built within 5 years! I doubt that could happen again.

Remember, The Fieldhouse/Armory was a multi-use "rec center" with swimming pool, etc.

I think that would be great. I seem to recall some time ago people saying that a center scoreboard/videoboard wouldn't work in Carver because the ceiling isn't high enough or something? Perhaps the technology has advanced to where that's no longer an issue.

The information I got was that the catwalks up there will be removed, as well. That might open up more possibilities for anchor points on the sturdier points of the roof design.

Yes that is true, but the recreation building was completed in 1969 so after that the floor layout of the fieldhouse could have been changed due to not needing the track. So options for renovation were there too, just like with CHA.

About new construction vs renovation. CHA was built for 18.4 million dollars. The recent renovations cost 43 million. So the big question will be what to do when the next major renovation is needed. They are not necessarily cheaper than new construction.

What should be done now is to make a long term land use plan to make sure that there us space on campus should the determination be made in the future that new construction is a better investment.

Yes that is true, but the recreation building was completed in 1969 so after that the floor layout of the fieldhouse could have been changed due to not needing the track. So options for renovation were there too, just like with CHA.

About new construction vs renovation. CHA was built for 18.4 million dollars. The recent renovations cost 43 million. So the big question will be what to do when the next major renovation is needed. They are not necessarily cheaper than new construction.

What should be done now is to make a long term land use plan to make sure that there us space on campus should the determination be made in the future that new construction is a better investment.

Part of the problem is the backlash--although universities seem quite able to ignore that--that can arise when a university starts gobbling up land without immediately putting it to "work". What to many is a good "long-term plan" is, to too many ham-and-eggers, "greedy land-grabbing!"

If the land is already on campus the problem is not so bad. Either an older building, a parking lot or something similar stays on the site until the new building goes up.

I was in college when Carver-Hawkeye Arena was built. At the time it was state of the art and one of the best home court venues in the nation. The problem isn’t CHA. The problem is the apathetic season ticket holders (no .. not everyone) and the apathetic student body.

The problems started about 15 years after CHA opened. First, Mr. Davis was let go. No, not everyone was disappointed, but at the time, I heard a lot of grumbling. The good doctor had just guided a team that was not expected to do much to the Sweet 16. Enough to save his job? Hardly. He was still let go for some up and coming coach from Southwest Missouri State.

And so began the Alford Era. He did well, but believed that Iowa wasn’t a “basketball school” and he left. The problem is, during his tenure, he alienated the student body and some fans by his arrogance and the handling of certain situations and circumstances that came up during his “reign”. I heard from one fan how the basketball team “could do no wrong”, and not in a good way. My fan complained about the team and the arrogance that started with Alford.

When Alford left, along came Lickliter. He did nothing to rebuild the trust of the fans or the charisma of CHA. In fact, it deepened.

Don’t get me wrong .. this is NOT a “Bash Steve Alford” or “Bash Todd Lickliter” thread. In fact, I’m NOT blaming either of them. If I’m blaming anybody, it’s Bob Bowlsby, but that’s not the point of this thread.

The point is .. CHA has been and can be a great home venue. Fran is doing a great job in building a foundation for the fan base. But he needs help from the athletic department. What can they do? I don’t know, but here’s a thought.
· Redesign the seating in CHA.
· Rip out the seats in the student section.
· Put in “bench” seats and tell the students they can stand as much as they want.
· Lower the price of student season tickets.
· Cram as many students into the student section as possible.
· Offer free shuttle service to/from CHA.

Will it work? I don’t know .. .. I’m not that smart. I just know that CHA can be a great home court venue IF the athletic department helps out.

GO HAWKS!!!

I was in college when Carver-Hawkeye Arena was built. At the time it was state of the art and one of the best home court venues in the nation. The problem isn’t CHA. The problem is the apathetic season ticket holders (no .. not everyone) and the apathetic student body.

The problems started about 15 years after CHA opened. First, Mr. Davis was let go. No, not everyone was disappointed, but at the time, I heard a lot of grumbling. The good doctor had just guided a team that was not expected to do much to the Sweet 16. Enough to save his job? Hardly. He was still let go for some up and coming coach from Southwest Missouri State.

And so began the Alford Era. He did well, but believed that Iowa wasn’t a “basketball school†and he left. The problem is, during his tenure, he alienated the student body and some fans by his arrogance and the handling of certain situations and circumstances that came up during his “reignâ€. I heard from one fan how the basketball team “could do no wrongâ€, and not in a good way. My fan complained about the team and the arrogance that started with Alford.

When Alford left, along came Lickliter. He did nothing to rebuild the trust of the fans or the charisma of CHA. In fact, it deepened.

Don’t get me wrong .. this is NOT a “Bash Steve Alford†or “Bash Todd Lickliter†thread. In fact, I’m NOT blaming either of them. If I’m blaming anybody, it’s Bob Bowlsby, but that’s not the point of this thread.

The point is .. CHA has been and can be a great home venue. Fran is doing a great job in building a foundation for the fan base. But he needs help from the athletic department. What can they do? I don’t know, but here’s a thought.
· Redesign the seating in CHA.
· Rip out the seats in the student section.
· Put in “bench†seats and tell the students they can stand as much as they want.
· Lower the price of student season tickets.
· Cram as many students into the student section as possible.
· Offer free shuttle service to/from CHA.

Will it work? I don’t know .. .. I’m not that smart. I just know that CHA can be a great home court venue IF the athletic department helps out.

GO HAWKS!!!
Exactly my thoughts here , This place is like a graveyard ,a place zombie walks. Every time I scream my azz off and jump up and down . All the old peoples look or rather stare me down and I am totally freak. It's why I hardly ever go . The old people needs move their azzes up the level and let the young ones roam at the lower level. They can be butt hurt but they'll get over it.

Exactly my thoughts here , This place is like a graveyard ,a place zombie walks. Every time I scream my azz off and jump up and down . All the old peoples look or rather stare me down and I am totally freak. It's why I hardly ever go . The old people needs move their azzes up the level and let the young ones roam at the lower level. They can be butt hurt but they'll get over it.
If they said they gave so much money for the program, Wild Bull Pumfus would say " oh yeah".

Pampero Firpo promo

02:07 · 3/20/2010 · By DotDotkins

YouTube · 66,000+ views

There is a rumor on another site suggesting that a new scoreboard (supposedly in the center of the arena) among other changes are going to happen after this season. Anyone heard about this?

That is what Docherman and Morehouse said in their podcast this week.

But the problem is you are not going to build a new arena at 1982 prices. Nebraska built Pinnacle Bank Arena in 2013 for $180 million, and that was one of the cheapest among the latest new arena's. UNI built the McLeod center for about $26 million back in 2006, but I doubt that kind of an arena is what many of you have in mind.

The bottom line is Iowa will not be building a new arena anytime soon. In fact I don't even see them renovating it for a new seating arrangement like I'm wishing for. Perhaps the new video board rumors have legs.

18 million adjusted for inflation is still in the 40 something million range. I would like to see some of the contracts that inflate these prices so much. I suspect they don't get all the best prices to go that much above inflation. At least the U of I has a businessman running things now that might help a little. "Soon" is relative too. I don't see that either. I just may see it being sooner than some other people think. Note: In Iowa's first 20 years they changed venue 3 times.

Also we don't need a shiny palace. A building with good utility and lots of seats close to the floor would be fine when the time comes.

18 million adjusted for inflation is still in the 40 something million range. I would like to see some of the contracts that inflate these prices so much. I suspect they don't get all the best prices to go that much above inflation. At least the U of I has a businessman running things now that might help a little. "Soon" is relative too. I don't see that either. I just may see it being sooner than some other people think. Note: In Iowa's first 20 years they changed venue 3 times.

Also we don't need a shiny palace. A building with good utility and lots of seats close to the floor would be fine when the time comes.

They are getting ready to pump $20 million into additions and renovations at Carver, building a new arena isn't even worth discussing at this point.

There is a rumor on another site suggesting that a new scoreboard (supposedly in the center of the arena) among other changes are going to happen after this season. Anyone heard about this?

According to the OnIowa Podcast, there is a video board/scoreboard to be hung from the center of CHA as well as an updated sound system. Now the question is, do we have someone who can push the right buttons and spin the right jams?