Cartwright concerns me

1hawkeye1

I'm a huge BC fan. I love his game and his quickness.
However, it seems to me that he is now playing as a guy trying to get his starting PG job back, instead of just playing.

I'm a huge BC fan. I love his game and his quickness.
However, it seems to me that he is now playing as a guy trying to get his starting PG job back, instead of just playing.
I've said all year that he is the key to having a ok year as opposed to a horrible one. He's kind of forcing things and appears to be turning into a chucker.

I think your making a pretty big assumption... i understand where u are coming from on his play but perhaps he feels pressure to try and create offense in order to help his team win. This team goes as him and devyn go. They are the penetrators and the offense runs through them. I guess i just think its a little unfair to bryce to assume he is pressing because he wants his starting job rather than him just feeling the pressure of having to make plays to try and help his team win.

There is a phrase that is unique to basketball. "Let the game come to you." Seems that when he steps on the floor lately, he is trying to do everything himself. I didn't see that last year. He made spectacular passes to his teammates, which is what a PG is supposed to do.

My issue with your post is that you are making assumptions on his intentions which i dont think is really fair to bryce.

Well that's what message boards are about. I did say, "seems to me" since i don't know Bryce and haven't had the opportunity to ask him face to face.
Again, BC is one of my favorite Hawkeyes and i really want him to be successful.
Just trying to get some thoughtfull Hawkeye bb discussion going.

I wish I had the answer. Only got to see the first half and Bryce looked horrible. Idk wtf he was thinking on his first fade away. Agree with you that it looks like hes trying to force things.

Agreed. It can't be easy for him as he was used to being the man last year, now Marble has taken his place and he's coming off the bench.
I'm sure FM has talked to him. But that has got to be a frustrating position to be in.
Would love to talk to FM on his call in show and ask that question.

He was forcing it a bit today but so were allot of others.

I am in favor of putting him back in the starting lineup primarily because he played allot better in that role last year.

Some players play better off the bench but some need to know they have the trust of the coach to let the game come to them.

I think Fran needs to stop pulling Basabe so early and often as well.

I don't think BC is the only player that forces things at times. I think he was just trying to provide a spark and get his team back into the game. I don't personally don't think it has anything to do with trying to win a starting spot or proving himself.

I think he just saw that Iowa needed a spark and as a competitive person he was trying his hardest to get the team back into the game.

I don't see BC forcing the ball when other players are playing well and shooting well and the team is just playing well overall.

I personally like the competitiveness that he plays with along with a couple others on the court. Sometimes it can hurt the team, but other times it works to our advantage.

I personally did not mind him trying to force things every once in a while against OSU, because we needed someone to do something to get the team going.

I can't say that I expected Iowa to win this game, because OSU is capable of winning it all IMO. Iowa just does not have the talent/depth to match up with OSU at this point, but we are headed in the right direction... that is why it is so irritating to see people say things like "I'm never going to another game blah blah blah." I mean, really? I did not expect the football team to beat Oklahoma, but I still watched and many people made the trip to go see it in person.

As an Iowa fan I take pride in being apart of a fanbase full of true fans/supporters and not a bandwagon/fair-weather fanbase.

There is still a lot of basketball to be played and I am confident we will continue to improve and I think we could be real contender in a few years if Fran keeps up the good work.

Go Hawks!

He also went up against guards that were much quicker than he is. The entire Iowa team had fits with OSU's quickness and were taking bad shots and forcing shots. As soon as Iowa dribbled into the middle OSU's quick hands prevented most plays from developing.

Cartwright has a very limited game offensively and doesn't possess the quickness necessary to drive past too many in the big ten. With that being said, OSU goes 10 deep with quick, athletic guys, which is a nightmare matchup for us.

What has been the most perplexing thing to me about this season is the overall play of Basabe and Cartwright. You would have figured they would have just taken over where they left off last year. But both have really regressed. And their play has really not helped the team with the exception of some games.

Good point. I don't know what to think about Basabe based on his yo-yo performances. In his defense, the team goes through stretches where they don't look for him, which I can't figure out either. Against WI they moved him away from the basket and he hit two early jumpers...not sure why we don't try that to get him into games. If he doesn't get points early, he checks out.

Cartwright has a very limited game offensively and doesn't possess the quickness necessary to drive past too many in the big ten. With that being said, OSU goes 10 deep with quick, athletic guys, which is a nightmare matchup for us.

Marble needs to be a two and Gatens the three. My Line up would be. The fact is marble is not a 1, he plays there due to necessity, so BC needs to know it is his spot.
1. BC
2. Marble
3. Gatens (
4. Basabe
5. The Ginger

Marble needs to be a two and Gatens the three. My Line up would be. The fact is marble is not a 1, he plays there due to necessity, so BC needs to know it is his spot.1. BC 2. Marble 3. Gatens (4. Basabe5. The Ginger

This is a joke right?

Marble needs to be a two and Gatens the three. My Line up would be. The fact is marble is not a 1, he plays there due to necessity, so BC needs to know it is his spot.
1. BC
2. Marble
3. Gatens (
4. Basabe
5. The Ginger

Marble is a one, and White (gettin sick of the term "ginger") is not a 5.

Latest posts