Carl Jackson retirement announced in Feb

wa1974

Norm isn't a spot light guy... And kirk likes to handle this type of stuff after the season... Im sure the decision to retired happened long ago. Anyone else think the announcement has been pushed up because his replacement has been offered another job?

I think it is also noteworthy that when Campbell was let go from Michigan in late December, Kirk called him right away and said don't take another job. campbell's announcement wasn't made until mid-Feb. I don't think an interview process was run.

Jackson retirement announced a week before Campbell announcement... University hiring process driven delay I assume.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if recruits didn't ask about the situation as well as the intended heir apparent needed some reassurance.
Gives the kids a great opportunity to send Norm out with a W and not risk the change getting leaked out via the players talking about it.

I don't know... my guess is that this was the plan all along and that KF has known for a while who the next coach will be. This is the perfect night for this sort of release-- a week after the bowl announcement but with plenty of time before game week so newspapers can run their Norm appreciation stories without it being a distraction. It also gives the players time to digest the fact that this is Norm's last game before they get really intense into the bowl prep.

I know that Norm is not one for the spotlight, but this is obviously a big deal to Kirk, and it's not surprising to me that he would want Norm to have his moment before announcing the next DC (at which point everyone's going to talk nonstop about it, good or bad). I expect to see that announcement some time after the bowl game but before the national championship game, about a month before national signing day.

No one leaked Carls retirement. It's just a distraction in kirks mind. I'm starting to convince myself that the Stoops rumors are real. Now there is a vacancy so that a contract can be negotiated. Norm retirement rumors have been rampant since September, this isnt a decision that was made yesterday in the middle of recruiting and bowl practice. If they were concerned about giving Norm his due they'd have announced it in late October.

The last post from the guy who broke this story said OSU might have screwed this up... That smacks of contract discussions.

I guess the wrench in my theory is if Phil Parker has been offered a job. Plus if Phil really wanted to be a DC he could have been a DC somewhere else long ago. I think the whole team would be fine if a respected football mind and teacher of kids was brought aboard.

Last edited:
I don't know... my guess is that this was the plan all along and that KF has known for a while who the next coach will be. This is the perfect night for this sort of release-- a week after the bowl announcement but with plenty of time before game week so newspapers can run their Norm appreciation stories without it being a distraction. It also gives the players time to digest the fact that this is Norm's last game before they get really intense into the bowl prep.

I know that Norm is not one for the spotlight, but this is obviously a big deal to Kirk, and it's not surprising to me that he would want Norm to have his moment before announcing the next DC (at which point everyone's going to talk nonstop about it, good or bad). I expect to see that announcement some time after the bowl game but before the national championship game, about a month before national signing day.

I think we are thinking along the same wave length... I see your logic on the timing... But would have thought a home game would have been a better send off.

Latest posts