Carimi Beat Clayborn? Or other way around?

TecmoSuperHawk

I was reading somewhere on Sunday quotes from Gabe Carimi that he pretty much owned Clayborn in their battle on Saturday. He admitted to giving up the one play (forced fumble/sack on the edge) but that was it. Talked about how he pushed him back 8 yards on one of the first plays and so on and so on.

From my perspective, I thought Clayborn was all over the place on Saturday and played really well. Sure Carimi won a few battles, but I thought Clayborn was an impact player.

But I don't know line play really well. So that's why I found Patrick Webb's comment telling: "Clayborn played well versus Wisconsin getting a strip sack and probably winning his match up versus Carimi."

This is from his weekly The Matchups article. But it affirms my belief that Clayborn played pretty darn well on Saturday. Your thoughts?

I was reading somewhere on Sunday quotes from Gabe Carimi that he pretty much owned Clayborn in their battle on Saturday. He admitted to giving up the one play (forced fumble/sack on the edge) but that was it. Talked about how he pushed him back 8 yards on one of the first plays and so on and so on.

From my perspective, I thought Clayborn was all over the place on Saturday and played really well. Sure Carimi won a few battles, but I thought Clayborn was an impact player.

But I don't know line play really well. So that's why I found Patrick Webb's comment telling: "Clayborn played well versus Wisconsin getting a strip sack and probably winning his match up versus Carimi."

This is from his weekly The Matchups article. But it affirms my belief that Clayborn played pretty darn well on Saturday. Your thoughts?

I think there was no clear winner in that matchup. It was just an epic battle between two of the nation's best.

Clayborn ate him alive. Carimi is the most overrated tackle in the Big Ten. He is good, but the media has made him out to be a superstar. He is not.

I don't think that one dominated the other but I admittedly did not do a great job of watching their matchup every play from the stands. It looked like Carimi did a good job run blocking on some plays. And Clayborn had some good pass rushes. But I don't think either of them completely owned the other.

I don't Adrian slowed down until the cheap shot by Ewing. Anybody else notice Riley Reiff handle JJ Watt with ease?

This may be the article reference by the OP. I didn't have a feeling either way, but I thought people may have wanted to see this.

Wisconsin’s Carimi tops Iowa’s Clayborn in high-profile matchup | TheGazette

Except for the last drive, Iowa's defense actually played fairly well. Up until the fake punt, Wisconsin had rushed 30 times for 88 yards. That's great defense against one of the best rushing teams in the country. Even on that series the defense held Wisconsin to a three & out.

For the game; Clay, White & Ball rushed for 119 yards on 33 attempts. In contrast, Robinson rushed 23 times for 114 yards. If Iowa had stopped the fake punt, there is a good chance that Wisconsin would have been held under 100 yards rushing.

Posters are complaining about the clock management. Without the fake punt, clock management would have been a moot issue. Everything went to hell after that play. It changed the whole momentum of the game. I just can't believe Iowa was not in a "punt safe" defense. It just boggles my mind.

Except for the last drive, Iowa's defense actually played fairly well. Up until the fake punt, Wisconsin had rushed 30 times for 88 yards. That's great defense against one of the best rushing teams in the country. Even on that series the defense held Wisconsin to a three & out.

For the game; Clay, White & Ball rushed for 119 yards on 33 attempts. In contrast, Robinson rushed 23 times for 114 yards. If Iowa had stopped the fake punt, there is a good chance that Wisconsin would have been held under 100 yards rushing.

Posters are complaining about the clock management. Without the fake punt, clock management would have been a moot issue. Everything went to hell after that play. It changed the whole momentum of the game. I just can't believe Iowa was not in a "punt safe" defense. It just boggles my mind.
This, and it doesn't really matter who beat who in this matchup. Wisconsin beat Iowa and that's all that really matters. Edge Carimi.

played fairly well?

other than those 2 or 3 80 yard drives Wisconsin had?

Every replay that I saw on the board Clayborn was getting double teamed. Clayborn didnt have his best game but i dont get why he kept pulling himself out of the game. Shouldnt everyone be in good condidtion at this point in the season?

My take was that Clayborn overwhelmed Carimi with both speed and power at different times. Clayborn is a good pass rusher but not elite off the edge and he still got around the end several times 1 on 1 with Carimi. A forced fumble or sack is what scouts refer to as 'splash plays' and Clayborn had 2 against Carimi in 1 on 1's. Carimi got help in the form of a back or TE chip or even a straight double team from the guard a fair amount this game as well. Most scouts are now convinced Carimi is better off on the right side in the NFL. I've had him as a mid-early 2nd round pick and projected him as a RT since the off-season and nothing has changed there for my evaluation. Kevin Weidl of Scouts Inc was in town for the Iowa v. Wisconsin game and his observations pretty much line up with mine from this game.

Clayborn has pretty much cemented his position as a top tier player. I rate him as a top 15 player currently and he I expect him to heat up here in the next few weeks. MSU's tackles are really gonna struggle to contain Clayborn.

My take was that Clayborn overwhelmed Carimi with both speed and power at different times. Clayborn is a good pass rusher but not elite off the edge and he still got around the end several times 1 on 1 with Carimi. A forced fumble or sack is what scouts refer to as 'splash plays' and Clayborn had 2 against Carimi in 1 on 1's. Carimi got help in the form of a back or TE chip or even a straight double team from the guard a fair amount this game as well. Most scouts are now convinced Carimi is better off on the right side in the NFL. I've had him as a mid-early 2nd round pick and projected him as a RT since the off-season and nothing has changed there for my evaluation. Kevin Weidl of Scouts Inc was in town for the Iowa v. Wisconsin game and his observations pretty much line up with mine from this game.

Clayborn has pretty much cemented his position as a top tier player. I rate him as a top 15 player currently and he I expect him to heat up here in the next few weeks. MSU's tackles are really gonna struggle to contain Clayborn.

Thanks for the input Gamefilm, always enjoyed what you had to say from a scout's perspective.

I think you could categorize the battle as a draw. Clayborn made some plays, but Carimi "relatively" held him in check.

Clayborn is gonna have a HUGE game tomorrow. Book it.

Really? The thing that most right tackles have going for them is inline strength. Carimi has seemed to lack great playing strength. I would say guard is the only position he will be suited for in the NFL.