Canzeri Thought

UIFBFAN

If Canzeri is truly 100%, I am thinking it could work in Iowa's favor for him to be our starter or at least see significant carries. Almost all of the film that PSU has on Iowa this year is of Weisman running the ball. Canzeri and Weisman are complete opposites as it relates to their running styles. I think Canzeri's speed and elusiveness, combined with the way our line is playing, could really catch PSU off guard and lead to some big plays. The obvious downside is that Canzeri isn't likely to break many tackles.

Anyone have similar thoughts?

Canzeri looked elusive against LA-Monroe last year. Yes, all qualifiers necessary. I'm optimistic about Saturday night.

I thought he looked pretty good against OU all things considered. He is certainly more elusive than Weisman. I think Garmon could have decent success against PSU too if he can make his decision to cut a bit sooner. You can tell that he is still thinking a bit too much--as you would expect from a freshman.

What exact different kinds of preparation do you think teams engage in with respect to a difference at RB for Iowa?

For instance, is the stretch play different when Canzeri runs it as opposed to Weisman? it isn't like Iowa is going to change their scheme based on who is running the play. The defense still needs to read the linemen to know where the play is going and take care of their assignments, including covering the cutback lanes.

It sounds like you are saying, they won't be prepared to deal with Canzeri's speed. Does that mean you expect them to take bad angles because they don't expect him to run by them? Really?

Canzeri supposedly packed on some good pounds in the offseason so I am excited to see what he can do now that he is not a scrawny runt.

What exact different kinds of preparation do you think teams engage in with respect to a difference at RB for Iowa?

For instance, is the stretch play different when Canzeri runs it as opposed to Weisman? it isn't like Iowa is going to change their scheme based on who is running the play. The defense still needs to read the linemen to know where the play is going and take care of their assignments, including covering the cutback lanes.

It sounds like you are saying, they won't be prepared to deal with Canzeri's speed. Does that mean you expect them to take bad angles because they don't expect him to run by them? Really?

That is basically what I was getting at, or that he might catch some of their linebackers flat-footed. It just seems to me that watching a bunch of film on a "run you over" kind of back could make stopping a speedier more elusive back tougher to play against. Maybe I'm off base, I don't know. I was, at best, an average high school football player, so I'm not pretending to know a lot about another team's prep.

Canzeri supposedly packed on some good pounds in the offseason so I am excited to see what he can do now that he is not a scrawny runt.

He's still not very big. I sit next to him in a class and he definitely doesn't look like he's gonna be able to knock many people over. He's still gonna have to rely on his speed and quickness to make plays. I am excited though to see how he's progressed in the offseason

In terms of defending against different backs on the stretch play, I would think Canzeri or Bullock would be a much bigger threat to cut back through the hole on the stretch versus Weisman who has had most of his best runs following the path of the blocking (almost always to the left). I'm not sure it would take that long for a defense to adjust to that, though, it's just a matter of them being able to stop them even when they know it is coming. Fred Russell certainly annoyed defenses by constantly being able to squirt through these little holes.

Canzeri did show a really good feel for running in the hole in that Oklahoma game even if he didn't have a ton of yards against that tough defense. I hope Garmon also shows some improvement in this regard, as PSU's linebacks are pretty good at flowing to the ball.

I disagree, yes you mentioned the cutback etc but that is huge. Freddie Russell and Jermelle Lewis had the total ability to cutback where coker, weisman do not.

I think canzeri may have the great feet to really cutback which makes the offside stay at home and slows down pursuit. I would love to see weisman and canzeri and garmon get a good mix this saturday. IF weisman can go the 8-10 carries might be good while we also get to see the other two get some carries.

I just hope who ever runs the ball, uses the chance to show what they have. Everyone knows KF and company always play the hot hand, so this would be the chance for anybody who carries to show up.

Weisman doesn't do much cutting back so that is different and there are differences in the way you attempt to tackle different players especially one on one is space.

Also differences in the way you cover potential passing plays to the backs.

They are different backs, I just don't think PSU would prepare differently. Iowa will run the same plays and schemes. Canzeri might make a difference, but that will be because of his ability, not because the were preparing for Weisman.

This is the same guy who averaged less than 3 YPC in the bowl game last year? Yeah, I'm sure PSU is shaking in their cleats.

We need Mossad.

All I can say is I am really excited about this roster of running backs... this season and seasons to come.

I'm more excited about this O-line this year... they are getting nasty, the players coming back, coming in and being recruited is really exciting.

Not to mention a young OL coach that has a bunch of fire, has to disprove all the naysayers and nepotism-sayin' critics.

Back to the original Canzeri THOUGHT... hoping Garmon can come thru enough this week and the passing game takes off... JVB 3 TDs and over 300 yards.

Weisman can rest for a week and Canzeri can continue to be ready... would still prefer he red-shirts. That means Garmon and Weisman can carry the load.

I have said the same thing about Garmon all year and that is that the system he ran in high school did not teach him how to run between the tackles, which is why I thought he should be a redshirt. The depth situation just wouldn't allow that to happen.

Nonetheless, watching him play seems to validate my concerns. He just doesn't know how to do it yet and it appears to be a problem with everything including vision, patience and acceleration. You can see the raw ability. But it's really raw. In time he looks like he could develop into a Tony Dorsett/Marcus Allen type, but it will take a little time.

High school coaches who run gimmick offenses that don't prepare players for the next level suck.

Latest posts