Can we hang with michigan???

The computer algorithms espn uses give about a 24% chance of Iowa winning against Michigan. (not sure whose model they use)

The combined chances of Iowa beating Nebraska, Minnesota winning, and Michigan winning last weekend was around 7%.

So winning next weekend is more likely than getting the Big Ten championship game against Michigan in the first place.

I'll list their odds for each game. Espn doesn't have the odds stated for each game anymore, so this is from memory.

Odds of Iowa win over Nebraska around 45-46%.
Odds of Minnesota win over Wisconsin around 36-37%.
Odds of both an Iowa & Minnesota winning out 17.5%.

Odds of a Michigan win over Ohio State around 39-40%.

Odds of all three outcomes happening, around 7%.

Notes: Of course, these are very broad estimates based on whatever model ESPN is using. The estimates did not change from earlier in the week. (Martinez's injury wasn't taken into account)

Notes: The odds of a combined event are simply calculated using the odds of each event. Combined odds of two 50/50 events is 25%. Combined odds of three 50/50 events are 12.5%.

Ding ding... They aren't invincible. They were at home as fired up to play OSU as they've literally ever been. You think Iowa is ISUs Super Bowl? Well times that by 100 and that's what that game is to Michigan after how the last 7 or however many yrs have gone. They very most likely will come down from that high and we'll be on some level footing in that dome. I will be curious to see the fan ratio to it though.
Could be a big time factor. I hope it takes Michigan another day or two to get their heads out of the clouds. Plus Iowa will have had one extra day of rest if that means anything (it didn't in 2015 vs Sparty).

I think Michigan "looks" better than Iowa, but a couple of things I hope serve as motivation to the Hawkeyes on Saturday:

1. If someone had said last Friday morning that the BIG Championship would be Michigan vs Iowa, everyone, even nationally would think that would be a fairly even matchup, especially when comparing the 2 teams similar results vs Penn St and Nebraska. It wasn't until Michigan beat Ohio State that Michigan is now considered the second coming of the '85 Bears.
2. Everyone keeps downplaying Iowa as having gotten lucky to be there, and backed into the championship game. But if Purdue didn't beat Michigan State then Michigan is not there on Saturday either, but no one is saying they lucked into winning their division.

I think Michigan "looks" better than Iowa, but a couple of things I hope serve as motivation to the Hawkeyes on Saturday:

1. If someone had said last Friday morning that the BIG Championship would be Michigan vs Iowa, everyone, even nationally would think that would be a fairly even matchup, especially when comparing the 2 teams similar results vs Penn St and Nebraska. It wasn't until Michigan beat Ohio State that Michigan is now considered the second coming of the '85 Bears.
2. Everyone keeps downplaying Iowa as having gotten lucky to be there, and backed into the championship game. But if Purdue didn't beat Michigan State then Michigan is not there on Saturday either, but no one is saying they lucked into winning their division.
FACTS

Petras should start until he goes bad. Padilla should relieve until he goes bad, giving Petras time to realize he’s not in California. If we’re behind, force Padilla to run, donate his body on any option play that looks even iffy. But first, make sure Deuce can still play after rumors of the portal.

If mishy penetrates ‘at will,’ BF brings out the misdirection sweeps and screen plays that rarely work for us. Next, release Jones downfield repeatedly for the long ball he'll rarely catch up to. If all else fails, this may be Tracy’s night to finally shine (stranger things have happened). But mostly, just go for 58-yard field goals.

Moss showed some signs of getting back to playing speed last week. Koerner was rusty early, after his layoff, but hopefully back to full contact speed this week. We need someone to sneak up to Hankins with a syringe of cortisone and get him on the field. Mishy was scared crapless to face us last year. Harbaugh had the 1,000-yard stare this week during his press conference about playing Iowa. (He usually looks bewildered, but this was a true look into the nether world.) I feel good about this game, as the entire mishy team went on a drunken binge after Ohio and has yet to report back to their dorm rooms. We’re going to knock the perfume off those guys.

Last edited:

Stop using facts and common sense. They're not allowed around here.

Latest posts