Can we get back to having a top 25 team in our OOC schedule?

VTHawk

I noticed in the "Tom Brady vs Iowa" thread that the schedules for the years of 1998-2000 had some tough top 25 OOC teams. Is it possible we can get back to scheduling these great matchups? I ask this because as "little old Iowa" we hardly get any respect. If we win we become more part of the national conversation but just having the game on the schedule even if we lose should be a positive for the program. At least we would know where we stand on that day, and it would give the program and the fans something to get fired up about during the season.

As it is now, I feel we've become complacent and we are lulled into a season that is filled with cup cake OOC teams, and a weak Big Ten schedule compared to the pre expansion years. As an example the 2015 team was a tremendous amount of fun, but I think unless we were all completely delirious from our undefeated regular season we knew we really hadn't played any seriously worthy opponent until Michigan State.

Maybe we are just not that good and it is not worth it. I mean I gotta be honest, I was proud of the way we played against Michigan State that year, and so disappointed we lost.

As an added bit to this. I remember when we played Tennessee in the Kickoff Classic in '87 and even though we lost it was fun be apart of that. I am not saying every year we need to have a tough OOC schedule, but with the Big Ten schedule as it is since the expansion we need a bit more of a challenge.

It's tougher now, with 9 conference games taking away an OOC game that used to be there, and the CyHawk game locking up one of the remaining few spots. Plus, Barta liked to keep us at 7 home games per year, so something would have to give.

In that scenario, the best we could do would be the occasional home and home series. IMO, we need to turn the ISU game into a every few years type of deal, which would give us extra scheduling space.

Unfortunately, I don't see it changing in the foreseeable future.

Why is it in Iowa's best interest to schedule tough OOC opponents?

Wisconsin played a garbage OOC schedule this past season and were ranked #4 going into the BTT game. Ohio Sate losing to Oklahoma in the non conference probably cost them a playoff spot. Alabama's best OOC opponent finished the season 7-6. They also played Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer. Alabama won the national title. Clemson played the Citadel and Kent state in their nonconference (in addition to Auburn).

Believe it or not, the Big Ten's best OOC regular season win was probably Iowa over Iowa State.

Wisconsin played a garbage OOC schedule this past season and were ranked #4 going into the BTT game. Ohio Sate losing to Oklahoma in the non conference probably cost them a playoff spot. Alabama's best OOC opponent finished the season 7-6. They also played Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer. Alabama won the national title. Clemson played the Citadel and Kent state in their nonconference (in addition to Auburn).

Believe it or not, the Big Ten's best OOC regular season win was probably Iowa over Iowa State.
Aside from the scheduling, SOS, and rankings issues, I just think it’d be more fun.

Weak OOC is a lose/lose. If you win it’s no big deal because you should have anyway, and if you lose it’s a meltdown. I’ve said this before but ditching Iowa State (I know it won’t happen) for Pittevery year would be ideal in my mind. Those games are always competitive, they have exciting history, and both fanbases enjoy the game.

IMO - scheduling a top 25 team in the OOC does nothing for Iowa except add another potential loss and hurt the chances for making the CFP and that's what it's ultimately all about right? Not saying we'd make it or we are gonna make it, but that's pretty much the goal here right? With a 9 game Conference schedule, Iowa could play 1 FCS team and the 2 worse teams in America for their 3 OOC's and if they somehow managed to be undefeated they would make it in. As it is, Iowa w/ 1 loss even if they had a strong SOS would likely be left out any way you look at it. It doesn't make good business sense if your goal is to play in a meaningful post season.

IMO - scheduling a top 25 team in the OOC does nothing for Iowa except add another potential loss and hurt the chances for making the CFP and that's what it's ultimately all about right? Not saying we'd make it or we are gonna make it, but that's pretty much the goal here right? With a 9 game Conference schedule, Iowa could play 1 FCS team and the 2 worse teams in America for their 3 OOC's and if they somehow managed to be undefeated they would make it in. As it is, Iowa w/ 1 loss even if they had a strong SOS would likely be left out any way you look at it. It doesn't make good business sense if your goal is to play in a meaningful post season.
I think a realistic goal for now is winning the West frequently and then the B1G.

So...once we do that and the committee goes to an 8 team playoff it doesn’t matter what we do in OOC ;)

In seriousness though, other teams do take the chance and I think Iowa would actually serve itself well to schedule a P5 team other than Baby Brother every year, especially since we are in such a weak division other than WI. Like I mentioned before, Pitt or someone of that nature would be a good compromise because they’re not a Stanford or Auburn by any means. But they are much better than most FCS teams and the games are no doubt more fun to watch.

Right, but scheduling a top 25 team in the OOC doesn't help the team win the B1G West. It didn't this season and that's how it played out. The fact is - even with the B1G West being perceived as weak - with the cross overs and 9 game B1G schedule, the only thing scheduling a sexier match up does for Iowa in the OOC is become more appealing for TV and the fans. Which I think would be nice. But if you really want Iowa to "strive" for more, to at least make an attempt to get into the play off picture, schedule the 3 worse teams you can find. That's how the SEC does it, and they don't even play a 9 game conference schedule.

I think its been said many times before, but it all comes down to the Iowa State game. Either you drop the game completely or you hope Iowa State becomes a more competitive team.

Strength of OOC schedule is a fiction. Iowa was 3 yards away from going to the Playoffs in 2015, and everyone mocked their schedule that year. A BT team going 13-0 trumps soft schedules.

To those who don't think so, Iowa State is a pre-season ranked team, so there you go, you got your wish.

Right, but scheduling a top 25 team in the OOC doesn't help the team win the B1G West.
Doesn’t hurt it either. Only the conference record is used for positioning in the division. The tie breaker is the head to head result. You could lose all 3 OOC and still win the West. Use your noggin.

Last edited:
But if you really want Iowa to "strive" for more, to at least make an attempt to get into the play off picture, schedule the 3 worse teams you can find. That's how the SEC does it, and they don't even play a 9 game conference schedule.
Are you kidding me? I believe you probably do watch the Hawkeyes, but you don't follow NCAA football whatsoever. Seriously, if you're going to make statements like that at least look it up first to see if you're right. Jeebus man, do you just say stuff and hope you’re correct?

Here are the SEC teams who played P5 schools this year in OOC, and what those teams were...

Georgia played Notre Dame (ranked)

South Carolina played NC State (ranked)

Missouri played Purdue (equal to or better than Iowa)

Florida played Michigan and Florida State

Vanderbilt played Kansas State

Tennessee played Georgia Tech

Auburn played Clemson (ranked)

Alabama played Florida State (ranked when they played)

LSU played Syracuse

Texas A&M played UCLA

Ole Miss played Cal

Arkansas played TCU (ranked)

The only SEC teams that didn't play a P5 school OOC this year were Kentucky and Mississippi State, both of whom played BYU which, while they suck, are better than the Mean Green. I hate the SEC as much as the next guy, but you're just making stuff up. We have the internet in 2017, take 5 minutes and check your work before you hand it in.

Last edited:
Plus, when my Tide played FSU, FSU was ranked #2. Our defense was so good that we about killed Francois and knocked him out for the season. If he doesn't go down in that game, FSU would have likely been in the playoff. So let's not bash the Tide here, guys. In recent years we've played USC, Michigan, Wisconsin, VA Tech and Penn State. It's not like we're trying to dodge good teams here, guys. With this year's FSU team at #2, I'd guess that this is one of, if not the best, slate of OOC opponents of any P5 team.

With Iowa's 10th assistant coach being from Georgia, I favor a home & home with G-tech. Might help with recruiting in that state!

Maybe we are just not that good and it is not worth it. I mean I gotta be honest, I was proud of the way we played against Michigan State that year, and so disappointed we lost.

Ya, Iowa isn't ranked very often or for long. The staff works really hard and yet they're rarely ranked. Iowa is a tough out for a lot of teams but their not all that great.

Iowa is great in the minds of their fans, and sometimes maybe that is enough. I still watch but my expectations continue to decline.

Talk Iowa State into scheduling a home-at-home with someone other than Iowa just once. They are totally afraid they are going to lose ticket revenue. Nebraska would do it and fill the stadium for both games.

Than Iowa could schedule an appropriate matchup; Pitt, Missouri, Kansas State, West Virginia, North Carolina, Arkansas.

It's in Iowa's best interest because they don't have the prestige / respect those teams do. And, every year they're not in the top-25, what they do have goes down even more.

Schedule some tougher teams, raise your game, and quit leaning on the "we're a development program, so we always start slow" crap!

It's in Iowa's best interest because they don't have the prestige / respect those teams do. And, every year they're not in the top-25, what they do have goes down even more.

Schedule some tougher teams, raise your game, and quit leaning on the "we're a development program, so we always start slow" crap!

Winning the big ten would gain more prestige and respect than any non conference win ever could. The goal should always be putting yourself in the best position to do that, and im not sure a slugfest with auburn in week 1 helps you win the big ten.