Can we compete?

Smarthawk

Can we compete w/ only Cully Payne, Matt Gatens, Eric May and Devan Marble as our backcourt? Your thoughts.

Our lack of depth and experience is going to be a hindrance. However, the greater worry might be with the uptempo style and keeping guards fresh. One injury and this will put even greater strain on a depleted group. My guess is Fran is going balls to the wall to get another guard. Time will tell...

Our lack of depth and experience is going to be a hindrance. However, the greater worry might be with the uptempo style and keeping guards fresh. One injury and this will put even greater strain on a depleted group. My guess is Fran is going balls to the wall to get another guard. Time will tell...

Agreed...once Salter gets back from his paid vacation to Hawaii, he'll be a Hawk...

I think...hope...pray...

I agree. We have to have a back-up for Cully. I love Eric May and Matt Gatens but we need one more kid that can really handle the ball and move. If Salter isn't the guy and he may very well not be, then I sure hope there is a Plan B.

I hope Cully makes great improvement in the offseason but even if he does, and even if he stays healthy all season, I think it will be very difficult to compete if we don't add another legitimate guard. If we don't, we'll have to hope that RoMo2 can take some minutes as a lead guard, but that still leaves us with a problem on the defensive end.

If we don't add another guard somehow, I would also expect to see a walkon getting the kind of minutes John Lickliter got last season.

I'm still hoping against hope that with the connections the staff has, they'll be able to find someone between now and the fall. Every year there are a few players who unexpectedly become available, eligibility issues cleared up and the like, jucos who get releases, refugees from programs that oversigned, things of that nature. We'll have to keep hoping someone like that falls into our laps.

I'd rather not go into any season with a major shortage of bodies at any position, but if forced to choose I'd much rather go in short on wings or bigs than short on guards.

No we will not compete this year. With the loss of Fuller we are going to be worse than we were last year. Gatens regressed last year too. So if he doesn't improve we have pretty much zero scorers outside of Cully.

I think we should be looking for improvement throughout the year so we will have a glimmer of hope to look forward to in the 2011-12 season

No we will not compete this year. With the loss of Fuller we are going to be worse than we were last year. Gatens regressed last year too. So if he doesn't improve we have pretty much zero scorers outside of Cully.

I think we should be looking for improvement throughout the year so we will have a glimmer of hope to look forward to in the 2011-12 season

I don't think Gatens "regressed" I think other teams didn't have to respect him due to injuries and a lack of burning them with a dribble drive...they also didn't have to leave him to help on anyone else who could burn them with penetration which would've left him wide open more...

Can Paige leave HS early to commit to Iowa...like college players can leave early for the NBA???

We only compete in the Big Ten if Cully gets some help. If no Salter, bring on Coco. We also need to consider letting the Intramural hoopster Andre Murphy come aboard as a walk on.

Then we have a chance. 16+ Wins is not out of the question...

We will at least be able to compete with the directional schools this year.

We didn't compete with them last year we lost to them. And here we go...16+ wins? not going to happen. matching our B10 win total from last year? Good luck. This team has lost more than it has gained on the court. Cully still won't be able to shoot and he's still going to turn it over a ton. Gatens can be defended out of any game by not even the best defender on the opposing teams. May will be good and that is going to be the bright spot on this team.

We only compete in the Big Ten if Cully gets some help. If no Salter, bring on Coco. We also need to consider letting the Intramural hoopster Andre Murphy come aboard as a walk on.

Then we have a chance. 16+ Wins is not out of the question...[/QUOTE]

very very unlikely that we win more than 13 to 14 games next year... not trying to be negative nancy, but if people are hoping for 16+ they are likely to be disapointed

Change of style and coaching will buy this team 10+ wins. Player development from Speraw and Bowen certainly won't do us any worse. Caff's and Speraw's x's and o's and changing up the style of play certainly wont hurt either. Lick's lame duck coaching style is what got this team to be the worst team in Iowa's recent memory.

10-12+ Out of conference
4-6+ Big Ten

16+ wins...Mark it down!

I think this coaching staff could add 2-4 wins this year. They are willing to take a look at an opponent and game plan accordingly. This is something the last coach was unwilling to do. He was going to run his offense and his defense no matter of the match ups or weaknesses of the opposing team. I think this change in how to attack an opponent could led to 2-4 wins that we might not have gotten otherwise.

That all said I don't think this year should be judge by the W-L record.

Latest posts