Can someone slip on over to corn-hole nation.....

I actually agree with this. I understand why the rule exists, but I also don't like how strictly it is enforced either. In this case it looked to me like the defender tried to lead with his shoulder, but ended up hitting Smith helmet to helmet because of the position they both wound up in after he committed himself to the play. With that said I only saw the play in realtime on TV. I might feel differently after watching the replay when I get home Sunday.

I disagree. Their player launched himself into T Smith hitting him in the head. There was not attempt at wrapping as a part of a fundamental tackle. This was exactly the reckless type of hit they are trying to take out of the game.

I disagree. Their player launched himself into T Smith hitting him in the head. There was not attempt at wrapping as a part of a fundamental tackle. This was exactly the reckless type of hit they are trying to take out of the game.

If you go helmet to helmet, call the flag; but kicking the kid out was dumb. And you don't have to wrap to tackle.

If you go helmet to helmet, call the flag; but kicking the kid out was dumb. And you don't have to wrap to tackle.

I agree. There needs to be a middle ground. The way they explained it was that it can be reviewed but if overturned, the penalty and ejection are both reversed. That was a helmet to helmet for sure and deserved the 15 yard penalty, but not malicious so as to deserve an ejection. On the replay it looked to me like he tried to maneuver himself to hit Smith with his shoulder but couldn't. But having said that, I think that the point of the ejection portion is to make these guys tackle properly and not go head first.

After every game every team has some comment on how we aren't that good AFTER we beat them yet we keep freaking winning.
Before every game every team has some comment on how we aren't that good so they can beat us yet we keep winning....

so we weren't good after or before beating them?

Amazingly, Lincoln PD has issued a public statement that the investigation of alleged misconduct will be re-opened on Saturday, 11/28

I agree. There needs to be a middle ground. The way they explained it was that it can be reviewed but if overturned, the penalty and ejection are both reversed. That was a helmet to helmet for sure and deserved the 15 yard penalty, but not malicious so as to deserve an ejection. On the replay it looked to me like he tried to maneuver himself to hit Smith with his shoulder but couldn't. But having said that, I think that the point of the ejection portion is to make these guys tackle properly and not go head first.
There can't be anything subjective to whether or not a player is ejected. They put a drastic punishment in to try and change the way defensive players tackle. How does it work where the ref decides who gets ejected and who doesn't? It's a harsh penalty for a reason. I have no problem with it. Gerry(?) launched himself like a missile to separate the ball from the WR. That's precisely the type of play they are trying to get rid of.

They're calling the targeting call a horse **** call. I couldn't believe the Nebraska players were high fiving each other while the player laid there motionless. That was some major douchebaggery. It looked like it could be serious. Even a couple Nebraska coaches ran onto the field while that ******* player and some others were celebrating.

Last edited:
"targeting call was terrible, rule needs to go" lol haaahaa

While Nebby fans are full of crap, I do think the targeting rule needs tweaking. Its not fair to lose a starter for an unintentional hit. I know concussions are incredibly dangerous, but over the course of 60 minutes, a couple inadvertent helmet hits can happen. The hit on Tevaun happened so quick, and I really don't think the Nebraska player meant any harm. I think the referees should be able to review them and decide whether the ejection is warranted, kind of like flagrant 1/2 rules in basketball.

That said, players know the current rules and need to make a better effort to avoid head hits if they don't want to risk a targeting call.

The targeting on Smith was an absolutely vicious hit. He led with his helmet, for God's sake. Automatic ejection and deservedly so. Watch the replay....the announcers on ABC called it right away and were not surprised at the ejection. The Nebraska fans are delusional on this one

Just took a look at their rivals board. There are some fine Hawks fans arguing against the predictable contention that Nebby beat themselves and Iowa had nothing to do with it. But, the posters who are arguing are moderators! Yes, little red moderators are getting into it with Iowa fans on their board.

It isn't like Nebraska ever really threatened in the second half. They never had the ball with the ability to take the lead after the half basically. Sure we got a pick 6, but they also got a TO (muffed punt) that lead directly to a score as well.

There was really no time in the second half where I thought Nebraska was gonna take control and beat us. The only thing I was worried about was a miracle like they pulled off vs MSU, where they score twice in under 2 min. or something stupid like that.

Just took a look at their rivals board. There are some fine Hawks fans arguing against the predictable contention that Nebby beat themselves and Iowa had nothing to do with it. But, the posters who are arguing are moderators! Yes, little red moderators are getting into it with Iowa fans on their board.

Yep, one of the mods, MetakHeadHusker, is pretty obnoxious and likes to ban Iowa fans. Those posters he was arguing with probably got banned. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Last edited:

Latest posts