Can someone explain

If we're talking about Archie, he was injured, hence the redshirt. Why recruit a guy, especially a juco and expect him to play just one year. Lick made the right decision in the redshirt. It's not even an arguable topic. That's how irrelevant this thread is.

It becomes an arguble topic if he does not end up being an impact player,because by redshirting him you limit Iowa to 1 scholly in 2011. What if we have a shot at Randle and another blue chip big man that year and have to pass due to a 3rd year juco sitting on the bench not contributing?

Archie,from all descriptions,is not a lick-style big man...cannot shoot or pass much...so,what if he is totally squeezed out of the rotation next year by Larson,Cougill,Cole,Fuller and McCabe? And Cougill and Larson develop into solid contributors for the next year alongside Fuller?
Lick plays a very short rotation,we have seen that....there is a good chance that Archie will see only limited duty while at Iowa...meanwhile eating up an extra years scholly for that limited two year stint. He could have been playing by mid-jan this year,when we were desperate for a big man...next year we add Larson and McCabe. I rarely see jucos red-shirt.

I hope he pans out ...and starts the next two years..then he would be worth that extra 25k scholly in 2012 that might have gone to someone else.

If his talent set fits what Coach is looking for and he's seen enough evidence of that...what does playing time at JUCO level matter? Again...he may not fit what they want to do very well but he might be a good piece in our offense...I don't know much about the guy but I haven't been presented with any evidence here to lead me to believe this has been a bad decision.

I could apply similar logic to yours to come to the conclusion that Archie should be a good player. You're saying that just because a JUCO coach didn't start him he's not good. Well I could say that the fact that he's been given a scholarship to a Big Ten school makes him a solid prospect. Obviously neither of those criteria are a perfect criteria for judging future performance.

Well I really hope you are right.. I would love to be wrong. I love Iowa hoops..

Latest posts