can markel smith help next year?

franstheman

He's super talented and we need a good power runner who has the speed to make plays against the ohio states, michigan states and Lsu's of the world.

I think Canzeri will do just fine. But anything beats running Weisman to the outside. Like watching a semi drive up a parking ramp.

Hard to say, but my guess is that he will red shirt. I was hoping Daniels Jr. would make a bigger impact this year. Many have said he was a beast in practice all year long. He just didn't get on the field much. Maybe next year he can be a difference maker?

You can never have too many running backs. But we have no idea if this guy will be any good at the Big Ten level. So maybe.

We already have a logjam at RB right now. My take, if Smith is helping us next year it's because bad things happened to the guys ahead of him, and I hope we don't see that again.

We will see a lot of Canzeri and Daniels in 2014. Maybe a bit less of Weisman...although, he did run for almost a 1,000 yards this year and was pretty banged up in mid season. Bullock...not so much. I do love his effort, pass blocking, and catching the ball.

Have you guys seen his highlights and stats though? Hes the most impressive physical specimen we will have at RB rivaled only possibly by daniels though I don't think Leshun has quite the 2nd gear that Markel does.

Gotta convince KF that a fast and powerful tailback is better than a slow and powerful tailback (that's also an upperclassman). Markel's going to need a whole lot of luck and persistence.

You are all missing the obvious. Markel will not have a chance to make a difference if he can not pass block. Same for Daniels.

Sorry, but I can't remember any freshman skill player on offense allowed to make an impact on a Ferentz team.

They do at Elite Programs, but not Iowa. Maybe that is because we seldom get those kind of talented guys and have to work with them for a couple years to make them game ready. Ferentz has always done a nice job at that. otherwise we would be a perennial doormat based on the recruiting most years.

Sorry, but I can't remember any freshman skill player on offense allowed to make an impact on a Ferentz team.

They do at Elite Programs, but not Iowa. Maybe that is because we seldom get those kind of talented guys and have to work with them for a couple years to make them game ready. Ferentz has always done a nice job at that. otherwise we would be a perennial doormat based on the recruiting most years.

Douglas? Coker? Wegher? Off the top of my head

I'm really interested to see how Iowa uses JP and Wadley. Those two have elite speed but lack the ideal size. I'm willing to bet one of those two will be taking care of kick return responsibilities.

Something I haven't seen mentioned: Canzeri dramatically improved his pass pro. Even got some compliments during the bowl game. That is key for any Ferentz-coached RB to see the field, and I have no problem with that. A QB on a gurney is not an effective QB.

Latest posts