can kinnick grow again?

If they were going to expand it would have to be the north or the east stands. To expand the east you would have to work out and being so close to the hospital they would have to make a tunnel for traffic to go under the structure of the new expansion. The north has a road that runs next to kinnick but I don't think it's a road that is essential for traffic flow. Still with the new video boards put up last year I can't see an expansion in the north anytime soon.

Also there had been talk of luxury boxes on the east grandstands. I would think there is enough room with the wide sidewalk area below to add supports if the grandstand itself is strong enough.

Two levels of box seats there would be nice but not sure about electrical and water to that area.
I've seen an artist's rendering of two towers in the corners that face the center of the field, both on the east side so that would be the NE and SE corners. There were three levels and stylistically they looked like the new pressbox. There were elevators on the street side and they were not square, more like a trapazoid w/ the wide side facing in.

I don't think they were "offical" anything, probably just someone messing around w/ photoshop. Pretty neat looking though.

I've seen an artist's rendering of two towers in the corners that face the center of the field, both on the east side so that would be the NE and SE corners. There were three levels and stylistically they looked like the new pressbox. There were elevators on the street side and they were not square, more like a trapazoid w/ the wide side facing in.

I don't think they were "official" anything, probably just someone messing around w/ photoshop. Pretty neat looking though.

Let's see it.

Were Kinnick to turn into a "MEGA-stadium"... they'd need to buy up everything on the South side of Melrose and turn it into an uber-parking lot.

If we had a mulligan...moving the baseball field and the rec center to the current remote parking lot off of Hawkins Dr would have freed up a lot of parking lot space for tailgate madness. They could have charged big bucks for those spots and had 5-10,000 more fans that much closer. Imagine one huge lot North and West of Kinnick, nested around the football complex. It also would improve parking for basketball.

Last edited:
I'm not completely sure but I think OSU had a track around their field which gave up quite a bit of space when it was removed

Yes, you are correct. They had a ton of space from the bench area to the stands before the renovation. Also the south stands had been essentially scaffolding and temporary and taken down each winter. They picked up seats by building a permanent south stands area.

How about on the east side directly over Hawkins Dr? It would attach to the current east stands. I think having 2 tier north stands might be good also. However would that require a complete rebuild of the north stands to do it?

How about on the east side directly over Hawkins Dr? It would attach to the current east stands. I think having 2 tier north stands might be good also. However would that require a complete rebuild of the north stands to do it?

Over the hospital could work, too. There was that dude on the crane watching games last year and he didn't seem to mind the distance.

I would have paid that guy 20 dollars for a spot on his crane. Anyways the hospital in general might be a bit too far. There is a parking garage between the hospital and the stadium. Maybe the back of the over Hawkins expansion could attach to that, and ticket booths, concessions restrooms and a small concourse could be added there.

Last edited:

Wonder if oxygen would be provided or if they would allow a smaller oxygen tank to bring in

In regards to the oxygen for the over Hawkins drive seats it could be avoided. First off the stadium is halfway under ground level as it is so it would still be than many other stadiums. Second if the concourse was added was added hooking into the parking garage it would allow for things such as handicapped access to be added. Theoretically someone could drive up to the level of this seating. Finally it the space would only allow for about 20 rows, so that is what about a 30 foot rise. That's not too bad.

I have been looking into this further.

The north end zone option:
Would add roughly 2800 seats.
Might require a complete rebuild of the stands to put in the pillars for the upper deck.
Would require moving the costly HD video wall.
The new seats would be upper deck and end zone so less revenue.
It would be that it would cause crowd noise to reverberate and make the stadium seem louder.

With the east expansion.
Would add roughly 7500 seats.
Would be side line seats for more revenue.
None of the existing stadium would have to be rebuilt.
The university has experience with this type of expansion. In 1922 Iowa field was expanded over a railroad track.
This would do less to increase crowd noise since it would be up and out.

In conclusion I would like the ambiance of a 2nd north end tier, but I think an expansion over Hawkins would be more practical.

Let's see it.
How about "let's find it". I searched on line last night and did not see it. This was the 2011 or 2012 time frame. Unlike Lois Lerner I do have the hard drive from the computer I used back then at my previous job. Digging through the cache would be quite an undertaking but I will think about it.

Speaking of thinking - One could argue that seating has already been expanded. Lest we forget Mary Ferentz is on one of the new children's hospital committees and one of the design goals was to have the upper floors on the West side overlook the playing field. The design splits the floors into an East side and a West side. I would think that any East side Kinnick expansion is out for near future if it occludes the view of the field from the upper floors of the ICH.

Talking with a buddy of mine, we were discussing how, if anyway, kinnick could expand if iowa were to go on another run much like from '02-'04 which lead to the decision of renovation then.I know Season tickets have to sell out so many years, but where could they add more seats, with there not being much room around kinnick due to the hospital.

I suggested an upper deck in the south endzone, because theres more space there.

There is not now nor has there ever been a reason to go beyond the current capacity and I doubt there will be in my lifetime. You need to have a season tix waiting list of 10K-plus to do something like this, for 5 to 10 years...really before you even consider it.

I would say if they expand it again they should widen the seats. They are too narrow for my shoulders. Being crammed in like sardines sucks. Can't ever take my wife to another game because she has claustrophobia. 6' tall size 7 and it's too crowded for her.

Drop some lbs.

There is not now nor has there ever been a reason to go beyond the current capacity and I doubt there will be in my lifetime. You need to have a season tix waiting list of 10K-plus to do something like this, for 5 to 10 years...really before you even consider it.

Tell that to Pollard.

I agree. There saying ticket sales are down everywhere

And did you actually read any of the thread? The OP isn't saying they should expand Kinnick.

He is asking if they were to make that decision, where could/would they expand?

Latest posts