Can I ask a question

4thngoal

Don't rail on me, I'm an old man.
But seriously after the interviews today (except a few), I have to ask, " do you even lift bro?"
I totally get long wing span makes it harder to look like it.
You know what makes your arms look shorter? Girth.
I didn't realize we had such tiny lineman.
Thank God our backers and safeties are stacked.

Huh? Can I rail on you for making completely unintelligible ramblings. Cut back on the hyperbole enough to tell us what the hell you are rambling about. I get it's something about the defensive line, but I have to infer that from all the garbage you just stuck up there.

Whatev. Watch the videos.
Then watch the videos of our competition.
Coming out of bulk phase into cut phase?? Our boys look lean.

The NFL doesn’t seem to mind after Iowa is done with them. Teams like Wisky may pork ‘em up but that doesn’t necessarily make their linemen better.

I don’t know many old men that talk like a valley girl. Just write your question in English if you want an answer. Still not sure what this thread is about.

Don't rail on me, I'm an old man.
But seriously after the interviews today (except a few), I have to ask, " do you even lift bro?"
I totally get long wing span makes it harder to look like it.
You know what makes your arms look shorter? Girth.
I didn't realize we had such tiny lineman.
Thank God our backers and safeties are stacked.
If you want people to comment on tiny lineman then you’re going to have to point out which ones are tiny. Unless you’re into the margaritas already.

It sounds like his opinion is that our Dline doesnt look strong from a physical stature standpoint. It wasnt that hard to understand what he was saying. He gave an opinion. Everybody who railed on his opinion is what is wrong with, if not America, certainly this board. YOU came onto his post to....belittle a human being giving an opinion? Was it THAT offensive? Good God people. Agreed maybe some specific examples might have been nice, but leave his post and go onto something more interesting. Maybe we should have his free speech liberties taken away? The season is close, the wolves are hungry! Lol

Tiny linemen? This line is one of the largest of the Ferentz era. Iowa has 2 starting tackles at 320 pounds each. (suspended for first game) and the rest of the line is over 300. Paulsen brothers are at 305, Render 307.

Brady Reif is underweight for DL.

Anthony Nelson could pack on about twenty more pounds. Eppy could put on about 15 more. I know Eppy is a speed rusher, but Nelson is all power, and there were times Eppy's over-reliance on speed caused him to be baited too deep into the backfield against more experienced tackles and ends, running himself out of the play. They are generally stellar. With more weight, specifically in the legs and hips, they'd pretty much be perfect. Their reach and size, combined with a few years of excellent tackling corners, has limited the horizontal spread vulnerability of the Iowa defense. I give this a push.

The rest of our line is big enough, though not quite as bottom heavy as you would like - they're slightly taller than the protototypical DT. I think that gives Iowa an edge in pass defense - you see a lot of blocked passes by Iowa lineman. However, being top-heavy limits their leverage; you don't see Iowa making massive pushes backwards against top olines like Wisconsin.

Our o-line are all around the 300 lb mark. They run-block well, but they had some agility issues at tackle, and dare I say it, center last year. This hampers them in pass, screen, and counter blocking. It didn't help that they had a first year starting qb that took a little too long to make decisions, occasionally. I used to use a five-count as the limit for when a qb must be rid of the football or tucking and running. The game has sped up in recent years, now I use a four-count. The OL needs to improve here, or we're going to have a lot of sacks again.

Our lines are decent, and built around our style of play. They are above average, though not among these best in the Ferentz era. Our gaurds last year were amazing, and you saw that whenever we went power (pulling gaurds). I expect that to continue.

i think doyle's plan is building body core strength first and muscle bulk after. its why our OL's typically don't do well at the NFL combine in the 225 bench press reps. core strength and leverage.

Brady Reif is underweight for DL.

Anthony Nelson could pack on about twenty more pounds. Eppy could put on about 15 more. I know Eppy is a speed rusher, but Nelson is all power, and there were times Eppy's over-reliance on speed caused him to be baited too deep into the backfield against more experienced tackles and ends, running himself out of the play. They are generally stellar. With more weight, specifically in the legs and hips, they'd pretty much be perfect. Their reach and size, combined with a few years of excellent tackling corners, has limited the horizontal spread vulnerability of the Iowa defense. I give this a push.

The rest of our line is big enough, though not quite as bottom heavy as you would like - they're slightly taller than the protototypical DT. I think that gives Iowa an edge in pass defense - you see a lot of blocked passes by Iowa lineman. However, being top-heavy limits their leverage; you don't see Iowa making massive pushes backwards against top olines like Wisconsin.

Our o-line are all around the 300 lb mark. They run-block well, but they had some agility issues at tackle, and dare I say it, center last year. This hampers them in pass, screen, and counter blocking. It didn't help that they had a first year starting qb that took a little too long to make decisions, occasionally. I used to use a five-count as the limit for when a qb must be rid of the football or tucking and running. The game has sped up in recent years, now I use a four-count. The OL needs to improve here, or we're going to have a lot of sacks again.

Our lines are decent, and built around our style of play. They are above average, though not among these best in the Ferentz era. Our gaurds last year were amazing, and you saw that whenever we went power (pulling gaurds). I expect that to continue.

I disagree with your assertion that A. Nelson is a power-player. He started playing as a 245 lb RS freshman, and he has always been about speed (and length) first. He is up about 30 lbs from when he started, and he is still fast around the corner. There is a reason he had one of the highest QB-pressure/snap rate in the B1G last year.

I also think you would be in the extreme minority in thinking that James Daniels had an agility deficiency.