Can Commissioner Warren ever recover from this mess?

JRD90

If local High Schools, NFL and SEC/ACC/Big12 all end up finishing seasons and crowning champions, this will forever be a massive screw up for the BIG Ten. AD's, Coaches, Players, Fans, Media will all point to him and the 11 Presidents as the villians in this mess. And the Presidents will hide on the academic side and never have to face the questions that the Commissioner will face. Or those Presidents turn on him and make him the fall guy.

Except for maybe getting Notre Dame to join finally the BIG Ten, is there anything he could possibly do to restore confidence in his ability to lead the conference?

If local High Schools, NFL and SEC/ACC/Big12 all end up finishing seasons and crowning champions, this will forever be a massive screw up for the BIG Ten. AD's, Coaches, Players, Fans, Media will all point to him and the 11 Presidents as the villians in this mess. And the Presidents will hide on the academic side and never have to face the questions that the Commissioner will face. Or those Presidents turn on him and make him the fall guy.

Except for maybe getting Notre Dame to join finally the BIG Ten, is there anything he could possibly do to restore confidence in his ability to lead the conference?

Yeah. Already done. The Presidents voted to delay the season. They run the show. They have bosses who can approve or not approve their actions. Don’t like it? Apply for the job.

It ain't Warren's fault. The Big Ten was on its way to MAC level status before this due to decreasing football participation rates and massive population shifts to the south, this will just speed it up.

When this really goes south for the B1G, as I expect it will, how fast will the Presidents make the first Black commissioner the fall guy? Faster than Tyler Goodson hitting the hole is my guess.

When this really goes south for the B1G, as I expect it will, how fast will the Presidents make the first Black commissioner the fall guy? Faster than Tyler Goodson hitting the hole is my guess.

The Warren Commission Part Deux

"Look, I wanted to play. I always wanted to play. Commissioner Warren said 'If we play, millions will die.' He further said 'athletes who don't die will have delayed heart conditions and drop dead like Coach Walk. If you let these kids play, you will literally be worse than Hitler. DO YOU WANT BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS BECAUSE PLAYING FOOTBALL WILL LEAD TO BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS. SAVE LIVES. STAY HOME. WEAR A MASK.' The meeting was on Zoom but everyone was moved to tears. We thought we didn't have a choice in the matter. Everything that happened, I mean everything, was Warren's fault."

"Look, I wanted to play. I always wanted to play. Commissioner Warren said 'If we play, millions will die.' He further said 'athletes who don't die will have delayed heart conditions and drop dead like Coach Walk. If you let these kids play, you will literally be worse than Hitler. DO YOU WANT BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS BECAUSE PLAYING FOOTBALL WILL LEAD TO BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS. SAVE LIVES. STAY HOME. WEAR A MASK.' The meeting was on Zoom but everyone was moved to tears. We thought we didn't have a choice in the matter. Everything that happened, I mean everything, was Warren's fault."

If we play, millions will die?

Last edited:
Well saw a rumor that on Oct 10th they may start season now.... DP show is throwing that out there so... Cross fingers hold breath whatever trips your trigger.

Based on what I have read about Warren is that he is super ambitious(nothing wrong with that). So being the B1G commish is just a step in the process.

imo, he has to be in line with the other conferences. The “F you we will roll on our own” mentality that Delaney had will not work now. If the end game is something beyond being B1G commissioner then he will have to navigate his way through this. As of right now that means playing football in the Fall.

Well saw a rumor that on Oct 10th they may start season now.... DP show is throwing that out there so... Cross fingers hold breath whatever trips your trigger.

Are you really surprised by that? The magic date seems to be September 26 so I could see the B1G starting October 10th.

It ain't Warren's fault. The Big Ten was on its way to MAC level status before this due to decreasing football participation rates and massive population shifts to the south, this will just speed it up.

True. I just wanted it to happen when I was in a hospice somewhere shitting in diapers, not like in the next 5 years or so.:)

Plaudits on Warren Commission. Betting two-thirds of this board has no clue what that is bince they were born well after Camelot died in Dallas.

Are you really surprised by that? The magic date seems to be September 26 so I could see the B1G starting October 10th.
I'm not surprised by anything anymore. I've been past that point a long time. Now I'm just in wait and see mode. Till they kickoff I'm going to assume they won't be. That way I quit getting my hopes up.

I guess I just don’t get the thought process here.

His job, among other things, is to be the spokesperson for the presidents. He simply is reporting what they decided upon.

How would he be cast as blameful in this situation? Because he didn’t convince five more of the presidents that they should vote to play the season out in a schedule similar to the three power five conferences that are playing this falll?

Even if the presidents don’t want to talk about it, that doesn’t change any of what I just said above. How can he be held to blame for that?

Kevin Warren has displayed absolutely no leadership on this whatsoever. The ACC, SEC, and Big 12 commissioners have been working towards playing football all spring and summer. Warren has not, and this is obvious.

Warren released a schedule one week as a an empty token of positivity then abruptly cancelled the fall season. The three conferences that are playing this fall all wondered what data the Big Ten has that made Warren make such an abrupt decision to cancel. If there was data out there that showed the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 they shouldn't be playing they should have it too. But Warren didn't produce any. All we got was "theres too many unknowns". He didn't produce any because he doesn't have any. While the member institutions have been working harder than Warren putting testing and safety protocols in place to have a season, the players, coaches, AD's and player parents got blindsided and have been asking for Warren to be transparent about what went into the decision. Only now, and because of 8 Nebraska players filing a lawsuit, is more information becoming known about the decision. One who is asked about what went into a decision should easily be able to answer and have the data ready to share. Warren didn't do either.

The argument that Warren is not to blame as laughable. He wields alot of power and influence and he can use it to achieve whatever ends he wants as it pertains to Big Ten interests. If he wanted to have a fall season, he would have hit the ground running in March helping his member institutions do whatever was necessary to have a fall season safely and he would have been an advocate for his AD's, coaches, and players when meeting with the school presidents. Instead he was busy building a coalition with his school presidents (who largely have contempt for college sports) to formulate the arguments and basis for not playing. Not to mention giving interviews with Yahoo news saying how he was going to turn out Big Ten athletes against Trump...yeah there is that too. When your AD's and coaches were near unanimous in wanting to play and your school presidents voted 11-3 against, that is not leadership. That is one side against another. A conference commissioner should built unity and consensus. There was 5 months during a pandemic to to this. Warren failed and IS to blame for this.

Sadly, Warren can recover if he is proven right by the other conferences cancelling their fall seasons...and it would be a stroke of luck rather than genius. That doesn't appear likely at this point. So if those three conferences play in the fall and the Big Ten does not, Warren cannot recover and should be ousted. Regardless of what happens, how we got here shows clearly that Warren cannot be trusted to lead from a position of strength.

The argument that Warren is not to blame as laughable. He wields alot of power and influence and he can use it to achieve whatever ends he wants as it pertains to Big Ten interests.
LOL.

You're the kind of guy who thinks Barta has some kind of influence over the football and MBB programs too, huh.

Kevin Warren has displayed absolutely no leadership on this whatsoever. The ACC, SEC, and Big 12 commissioners have been working towards playing football all spring and summer. Warren has not, and this is obvious.

Warren released a schedule one week as a an empty token of positivity then abruptly cancelled the fall season. The three conferences that are playing this fall all wondered what data the Big Ten has that made Warren make such an abrupt decision to cancel. If there was data out there that showed the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 they shouldn't be playing they should have it too. But Warren didn't produce any. All we got was "theres too many unknowns". He didn't produce any because he doesn't have any. While the member institutions have been working harder than Warren putting testing and safety protocols in place to have a season, the players, coaches, AD's and player parents got blindsided and have been asking for Warren to be transparent about what went into the decision. Only now, and because of 8 Nebraska players filing a lawsuit, is more information becoming known about the decision. One who is asked about what went into a decision should easily be able to answer and have the data ready to share. Warren didn't do either.

The argument that Warren is not to blame as laughable. He wields alot of power and influence and he can use it to achieve whatever ends he wants as it pertains to Big Ten interests. If he wanted to have a fall season, he would have hit the ground running in March helping his member institutions do whatever was necessary to have a fall season safely and he would have been an advocate for his AD's, coaches, and players when meeting with the school presidents. Instead he was busy building a coalition with his school presidents (who largely have contempt for college sports) to formulate the arguments and basis for not playing. Not to mention giving interviews with Yahoo news saying how he was going to turn out Big Ten athletes against Trump...yeah there is that too. When your AD's and coaches were near unanimous in wanting to play and your school presidents voted 11-3 against, that is not leadership. That is one side against another. A conference commissioner should built unity and consensus. There was 5 months during a pandemic to to this. Warren failed and IS to blame for this.

Sadly, Warren can recover if he is proven right by the other conferences cancelling their fall seasons...and it would be a stroke of luck rather than genius. That doesn't appear likely at this point. So if those three conferences play in the fall and the Big Ten does not, Warren cannot recover and should be ousted. Regardless of what happens, how we got here shows clearly that Warren cannot be trusted to lead from a position of strength.

So just to get this straight...totally on Warren (regardless of Presidents) if the other power 5 conferences have a season, but "stroke of luck" if they don't? Whether I agree with the decision made by the presidents or not, if the reason for cancelling the season was "because there are too many unknowns" if the other school's end up cancelling, in no way, shape, or form do I consider that luck. If the other power conferences get a season in the Big Ten may have got it wrong, but if the other programs cancel that means those "unknowns" were in fact major issues and the presidents (not Warren) made the correct call to err on the side of caution.

The other thing I don't understand is, based on your statement, why should Warren be the only "one who's reputation cannot recover and be ousted"? I think each of the voting presidents should be held equally accountable. If any type of organization votes on a matter that doesn't pan out I don't see the blame going solely toward the Commissioner/Chairman, what makes this any different?

Latest posts