Can 13 end like 08 and build for 14?

Saginawbay

Iowa has two games on the schedule, against two marquee names of college football, and has an opportunity for a really great season considering where we have come from 4-8. Either way 2013 has been a success Hawks will go bowling, and have really made solid improvement this season, but with either a 1-1 or 2-0 finish and 2013 is a big success! 7-5 4-4 or 8-4- 5-3!

Can Hawks close out this season like 08 and build for bigger things in 2014? If Hawks do close with wins over UM and Neb, Hawks will be in Tampa at Outback solid bowl.

Let's get those last 4000 tickets sold, we need Kinnick strong this Saturday for Michigan. Go Hawks!!

Yes, it's possible, but I worry about the LB position next year, and we continue to have WR concerns.
There is also the matter of winning both games this year. Beating Michigan is never easy, and at Nebraska is an even taller task.

On a side note, I can't believe the stadium isn't sold out yet. Iowa State has sold out every game, and we haven't sold out once this year. At the beginning of the year, I can understand after 4-8, but we are bowl eligible, there are recruits in town, and we can win this game. No excuse not to sell it out.

Id say yes if Iowa wasnt being completely gutted at LB. The good thing is those kids that are stepping in have played this year. With that being said Iowa should be very strong on the D line, so that will help the young LB's

I will say the 2008 team was one of the best teams KF has ever had. I rank it up there with the 2002 squad. Great defense, good OL and great RB. That team was a QB indecision and a few close games early from a spectacular season. I don't think this team will win both games honestly. I am hoping for a 1-1 split. I think the UM game is the best shot.

Yes, it's possible, but I worry about the LB position next year, and we continue to have WR concerns.
There is also the matter of winning both games this year. Beating Michigan is never easy, and at Nebraska is an even taller task.

On a side note, I can't believe the stadium isn't sold out yet. Iowa State has sold out every game, and we haven't sold out once this year. At the beginning of the year, I can understand after 4-8, but we are bowl eligible, there are recruits in town, and we can win this game. No excuse not to sell it out.

I have been following Hawks since 1980, and cannot remember a Michigan home game not selling out anyone else?

Is there really 4000 tix available yet? What percentage of that is student tix? I believe in all the previous games this season, 50% of the unsold tix have been student tix (and it has shown in the stands as well).
I really hope the students figure out what a strength they could be.

Is there really 4000 tix available yet? What percentage of that is student tix? I believe in all the previous games this season, 50% of the unsold tix have been student tix (and it has shown in the stands as well).
I really hope the students figure out what a strength they could be.
Yes, everything starts with the students. Maybe the university should lower prices for the students?

Hope you are right makes a difference, and yes that is what hawkeyesports.com is showing appox 4000 tix available.

But we are better off than Purdue and Illinois, stubhub is showing tix for .50 that is right 50 cents!

I have been following Hawks since 1980, and cannot remember a Michigan home game not selling out anyone else?

No, but Michigan is a different animal then it use to be. When I looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year, Michigan was probably the 3rd or 4th most attractive home game on the schedule and that's a schedule that did not have Ohio State on it. I agree, it is ridiculous not selling out Michigan State and Wisconsin this year.

I think if Iowa can win these last two games impressively, than I think the correlation is accurate. If we go 7-5, win the bowl game, I still think it sets up for a big season next year. Now if they go 6-6, lose the bowl game, I think it leaves some of the stink still from 2012 debacle. With the ridiculously easy schedule next year, I think it is imperative they finish strong. The only thing left to do after that is beg scherff for "one more year!"

Iowa has two games on the schedule, against two marquee names of college football, and has an opportunity for a really great season considering where we have come from 4-8. Either way 2013 has been a success Hawks will go bowling, and have really made solid improvement this season, but with either a 1-1 or 2-0 finish and 2013 is a big success! 7-5 4-4 or 8-4- 5-3!

Can Hawks close out this season like 08 and build for bigger things in 2014? If Hawks do close with wins over UM and Neb, Hawks will be in Tampa at Outback solid bowl.

Let's get those last 4000 tickets sold, we need Kinnick strong this Saturday for Michigan. Go Hawks!!

We'll need some hearty souls to join us on Saturday. High in the low 20s, probably in the teens at kickoff. Perfect Wolverine ***-kicking weather.

Id say yes if Iowa wasnt being completely gutted at LB. The good thing is those kids that are stepping in have played this year. With that being said Iowa should be very strong on the D line, so that will help the young LB's

I could be wrong, but weren't Angerer and Hunter both first year starters in 2008? I know Pat was, but can't remember for sure on Hunter. The key is having a strong D-line, which we will have.

This team is nowhere near as good as the 2008 team...but it's good enough to win its final two games. That said, these final two opponents are better than Purdue and Minnesota, Iowa's final two in 2008.

This year is certainly a springboard for next year, where the team looks poised to have a good year at a minimum.

Folks want to point to 2008 as a building block for 2009 and while there was a lot of experience gained, that 2009 team wasn't as good as the 2008 team came to be be, at least in my opinion. It enjoyed a great deal of luck and good fortune. Then again, most teams who put together great records do.

I could be wrong, but weren't Angerer and Hunter both first year starters in 2008? I know Pat was, but can't remember for sure on Hunter. The key is having a strong D-line, which we will have.

That same DL was more mature in 2010 and a group of green LB's made them look pedestrian. The "front seven" are ALL important.

This team is nowhere near as good as the 2008 team...but it's good enough to win its final two games. That said, these final two opponents are better than Purdue and Minnesota, Iowa's final two in 2008.

This year is certainly a springboard for next year, where the team looks poised to have a good year at a minimum.

Folks want to point to 2008 as a building block for 2009 and while there was a lot of experience gained, that 2009 team wasn't as good as the 2008 team came to be be, at least in my opinion. It enjoyed a great deal of luck and good fortune. Then again, most teams who put together great records do.

I was going to say just about the same thing, sans the comparison to 2009 team.

As I have said before, I have a tendency to think of 2001 as a more fitting comparison. If BS comes back, that is. But that is a HUGE "if." What it comes down to is we all look at next year and see the potential for a great season.

Iowa and high expectations don't seem to go together.

2009 I think we expected a good team and we were rewarded (tho it took some fortunate bounces)

2002 we expected a good OL but had no idea we'd be THAT good.

2003/2004 all had question marks and injuries to overcome.

2005, 2006, 2010 were huge disappointments considering our expectations.

A lot of people expected a 4-5 win season (I was one) and we've got a chance at 8. While we've looked marginally better, we have improved.

I guess looking at it as a whole, Iowa is an average football team under KF. We may surprise a few years, but mostly we are a 7 win team

I was thinking the same thing...losing all lb's is a bit unsettling...but I truly believe we may be seeing the emergence of a DOMINANT Dline in the coming seasons...and if that is what happens...Linebackers lives are quite a bit easier/we can cover up some deficiencies...and I really like Spearmen's potential as well.

Latest posts