Call it what it is, this is a BADDD Iowa football team

Yikes! Looking at your predictions, taffaej, after the NW loss, that leaves us at 3-5. But, I don't see anything different.
Gonna have to play a perfect game against MSU and Nebraska to sniff 3 wins. That pass rush is dismal. If they can get that going, figure out the blocking and Petras settles down, 3 wins are definitely possible. It's just hard for me because I pegged us at 8-0 with a shot at the natty.

I am usually on the pissing side of the argument when we are winning but now we are losing.... I am telling you everyone is wrong to some degree.

Here me out.... Yes, we look like crap, but honestly I think offensively at the skill spots we have one of the more talented group of guys we have seen in the KF era. We have the quickest group of receivers we have seen in 20 years, a trio of running backs that are probably the best in the country. (I said trio so get your fingers off the keyboard). We have a QB who has not only NFL size but an NFL arm too. Okay he isn't very accurate but kid has only played two real games. I know every single one of you living in your moms basement would piss your pants and also miss your target if you were on the field so give him some time to adjust. Practice is never like a real game. He will come around.

Yes the receivers are dropping a lot of balls, but Petra's is whipping that ball in there like his life depends on it, and I think with him getting settled he will start putting more touch on the ball and getting the ball down.

Like most years I am blaming the play calling, we are still calling moronic plays at the wrong time You don't run the ball on a 3rd and 10 and you don't throw the ball deep on a 3rd and 1 either.

Now on Defensive side we have some bitching to do. We lack experience behind the D-line and I don't see a true leader yet to rally the troops. That is a problem. On TV we look small, we are also getting tired, hand on hips way to early in the game. Conditioning seems to be an issue, I see that on the O-Line too.

Now I looked at the schedule prior the the season starting and I did not find many wins but I knew we would be green on the QB and very much so on the D. So in my eyes we are playing as expected. My pics are below

Purdue - L
Northwestern - W
Michigan State - W
Minnesota - L
Penn State - L
Nebraska - W
Illinois - W
Wisconsin - L
We'rs sucking air b/c we're not in football shape. We're not in football shape due to a lack of practice. We have a lack of practice b/c of Covid. I've seen a lot of college football on tv so far this year, and many, many players have hands-on-hips BEFORE the second half., so let's ease up on the players, plz! The way around this is, of course, rotate your players more. Give the 2nd and 3rd string some series so we can be fresher in the 4th quarter. Signed, a rocket scientist.

Interesting my first response on this forum was censored for mentioning Joe Biden. I'm sure I'll get the shadow ban and doxxed next. In any event why don't we give Padilla and the Hogan kid some reps can't get worse than it is now. Can't run block to save our soles....BF and KF seem to think that the same formation that we lose 4 yards on running that insane outside zone run is going to work that hasn't in 4 years. With no imagination and a first year QB what'd we expect? Good job by Phil getting those guys better from week 1-2.
Agree. Thought Padilla was dual threat also. It kinda sounds like Petras is a great ‘practice’ qb, but deer in headlights during games. Others shine under pressure of real game action. And you never really know until you try it. That being said, we all know how STUBBORN KF is. How long did it take him to go with Stanzi over Christenson

We'rs sucking air b/c we're not in football shape. We're not in football shape due to a lack of practice. We have a lack of practice b/c of Covid. I've seen a lot of college football on tv so far this year, and many, many players have hands-on-hips BEFORE the second half., so let's ease up on the players, plz! The way around this is, of course, rotate your players more. Give the 2nd and 3rd string some series so we can be fresher in the 4th quarter. Signed, a rocket scientist.
And that applies to everyone else. That's a level playing field if ever there was one. Were sucking because we're not finishing drives. We largely got away with it last year. Not as much so far this year. We're overly reliant on field goals and the last time I checked seven is more than three. We lost some key upperclassmen to graduation and early draft entry. But again,so did everybody else.

Agree. Thought Padilla was dual threat also. It kinda sounds like Petras is a great ‘practice’ qb, but deer in headlights during games. Others shine under pressure of real game action. And you never really know until you try it. That being said, we all know how STUBBORN KF is. How long did it take him to go with Stanzi over Christenson
Or Beathard over Ruddock...no way we go 12-0 with Jake at the helm and I love that kid but still.

I just think it's good they're getting these practices in, cause I truly don't see this as a real season. Wisky's been out for 2 weeks, who knows what team's gonna be hit with the Covid next? Even Clemson hasn't been unscathed, but they're on a whole 'nother planet as a program and can just slide another 4 or 5 star right in, even at QB. I say let the kids take their lumps this year and get experience. Anyone not named OSU from the B1G isn't going anywhere this year.

I just think it's good they're getting these practices in, cause I truly don't see this as a real season. Wisky's been out for 2 weeks, who knows what team's gonna be hit with the Covid next? Even Clemson hasn't been unscathed, but they're on a whole 'nother planet as a program and can just slide another 4 or 5 star right in, even at QB. I say let the kids take their lumps this year and get experience. Anyone not named OSU from the B1G isn't going anywhere this year.

My office is loaded with Clemson fans. A guy was saying because Trevor is out and they have to start the true freshman QB, this is the first regular season game in roughly 5 years where going in he feels like there is a 50/50 chance they lose. He said since Florida State fell off, he hasn't thought anyone has had a better than 25% chance to beat them in the regular season and the only team that got to 25% was Louisville when they had Lamar Jackson. Must be rough being a Clemson fan.

I am usually on the pissing side of the argument when we are winning but now we are losing.... I am telling you everyone is wrong to some degree.

Here me out.... Yes, we look like crap, but honestly I think offensively at the skill spots we have one of the more talented group of guys we have seen in the KF era. We have the quickest group of receivers we have seen in 20 years, a trio of running backs that are probably the best in the country. (I said trio so get your fingers off the keyboard). We have a QB who has not only NFL size but an NFL arm too. Okay he isn't very accurate but kid has only played two real games. I know every single one of you living in your moms basement would piss your pants and also miss your target if you were on the field so give him some time to adjust. Practice is never like a real game. He will come around.

Yes the receivers are dropping a lot of balls, but Petra's is whipping that ball in there like his life depends on it, and I think with him getting settled he will start putting more touch on the ball and getting the ball down.

Like most years I am blaming the play calling, we are still calling moronic plays at the wrong time You don't run the ball on a 3rd and 10 and you don't throw the ball deep on a 3rd and 1 either.

Now on Defensive side we have some bitching to do. We lack experience behind the D-line and I don't see a true leader yet to rally the troops. That is a problem. On TV we look small, we are also getting tired, hand on hips way to early in the game. Conditioning seems to be an issue, I see that on the O-Line too.

Now I looked at the schedule prior the the season starting and I did not find many wins but I knew we would be green on the QB and very much so on the D. So in my eyes we are playing as expected. My pics are below

Purdue - L
Northwestern - W
Michigan State - W
Minnesota - L
Penn State - L
Nebraska - W
Illinois - W
Wisconsin - L

Not arguing with your assessment, because a lot of it is spot on. Even if we have the talent and they are simply being held back by poor play calling that still classifies this as a bad football team, because regardless of the reason, we are still struggling and simply not finding our rhythm and not getting it done on either side of the ball.

And it's nitpicking, but I have to disagree with you about your example about not throwing the ball deep on 3rd and 1. I would argue that 3rd and 1 is the ideal time to throw the ball down field if you have already decided that your going for it on 4th down. I actually think that is great play calling. Not so much though when, as you stated, your running the ball on 3rd and 10.

My office is loaded with Clemson fans. A guy was saying because Trevor is out and they have to start the true freshman QB, this is the first regular season game in roughly 5 years where going in he feels like there is a 50/50 chance they lose. He said since Florida State fell off, he hasn't thought anyone has had a better than 25% chance to beat them in the regular season and the only team that got to 25% was Louisville when they had Lamar Jackson. Must be rough being a Clemson fan.
Honestly I can't imagine that. I don't think it would be fun being a Clemson fan. The enjoyment I get is the risk of losing and the excitement of the game, for Clemson with no chance of losing, it's completely predictable and would be almost like watching old replays. Sure they have national titles which of course would be awesome, but beating "relative" cupcakes all year doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me. Too each their own I guess.

Honestly I can't imagine that. I don't think it would be fun being a Clemson fan. The enjoyment I get is the risk of losing and the excitement of the game, for Clemson with no chance of losing, it's completely predictable and would be almost like watching old replays. Sure they have national titles which of course would be awesome, but beating "relative" cupcakes all year doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me. Too each their own I guess.

I agree. It would be awesome to steamroll for like two years, but with FSU, the U, GT and VT all falling from their previous levels, the conference games just suck. They get an occasional scare, but basically unless their QB goes down, they are virtually unbeatable in conference play.

Let's give it a try here at Iowa! I'll let you know if I feel like it's a lot of fun. :p

Let's give it a try here at Iowa! I'll let you know if I feel like it's a lot of fun. :p
It definitely is for awhile, but what has happened to Clemson is that people have basically stopped going to stuff like the conference champ game (even though it's only up in Charlotte like 2 hours away) and the first game of the playoffs. People still get season tickets because they don't want to lose them and they want a shot at natty tickets, but there's a certain level of apathy setting in. I think Bama is having the same problem other than when they play someone like Georgia, LSU or Auburn. Basically the playoffs have rendered all but a couple of the regular season games moot for the fan bases. The gap between Clemson and the rest of the ACC is so massive that the conference season is basically nothing.

It definitely is for awhile, but what has happened to Clemson is that people have basically stopped going to stuff like the conference champ game (even though it's only up in Charlotte like 2 hours away) and the first game of the playoffs. People still get season tickets because they don't want to lose them and they want a shot at natty tickets, but there's a certain level of apathy setting in. I think Bama is having the same problem other than when they play someone like Georgia, LSU or Auburn. Basically the playoffs have rendered all but a couple of the regular season games moot for the fan bases. The gap between Clemson and the rest of the ACC is so massive that the conference season is basically nothing.
Fandom is nothing without suffering.

Latest posts