Caliber of Athletes at Bama/LSU

NeilDiamond

Every year I watch the BCS title game and I am simply floored by the rediculous athletes that these teams in the game have. Last night was no different. The hitting, speed and overall level of play is far, far above and beyond what one typically sees in your average college football game. It makes you realize how far a school like Iowa would need to go to get to that level. The recruiting would have to increase exponentially in terms of getting quality players, specifically in the areas of the defensive line and LBs. KF is a good coach and he has done a decent job at Iowa. However, he is not and never will be the type of recruiter to get those athletes. Maybe the next guy can take a step in that direction.

Every year I watch the BCS title game and I am simply floored by the rediculous athletes that these teams in the game have. Last night was no different. The hitting, speed and overall level of play is far, far above and beyond what one typically sees in your average college football game. It makes you realize how far a school like Iowa would need to go to get to that level. The recruiting would have to increase exponentially in terms of getting quality players, specifically in the areas of the defensive line and LBs. KF is a good coach and he has done a decent job at Iowa. However, he is not and never will be the type of recruiter to get those athletes. Maybe the next guy can take a step in that direction.

You will never see athletes like that at Iowa. Nick Saban couldn't get those players at Iowa with T Boone Pickens bank roll. Just isn't going to happen.

EDIT: You may see a handful on the team at any one time but never a full team of them.

The only way this happens is if Iowa drops down their academic standards and somehow the population of the state is doubled.

It has been mentioned that most of the starters for LSU and Bama were instate guys. iowa can't produce that talent in state, and can't get it to come from the south to Iowa, very few do. It's an uphill battle for most northern teams not named, Mich, OSU and ND

Yes it is athletes. But it takes a coach like Saban or Meyer to get them to play to that level. Zook got the same athletes as did Shula at Bama and did little with them. A coach like Saban just creates a program in which the little things are done perfectly more times than not.

It wasn't that long ago that Iowa beat LSU and Florida (and all their great athletes)

In the Outback and Cap1 bowls 6+ years ago? Those were not the level of teams seen as of late coming out on top in the SEC. Not even close.

I agree that it is very difficult to get these players to northern schools like Iowa. Someone can do it though and it is not KF. He routinely loses out on some of the few top players Iowa does produce.

that is one thing that people overlook, KF does more with less. in the end it all come down to coaching and what you do with the players they get. myself i am glad we are settling with fewer 2* players the last couple of years.
5 in 2010
5 in 2011
3 so far in this class
compared to an avg of 11 per year for as far back as the Commitment list will allow
or 12 in 2009
13 in 2008
this is not saying we have started to get 4* players vs 2*. we are getting more 3*'s and 3-4 4* each year vs 1 4 or *5 player.
the bad thing is when we get a 5* his not being a success, stands out unlike at Oklahome or LSU type school that gets 3-4 5* player each year, the bust are not noticed as somebody just steps into their place and nobody notices

the bad thing is when we get a 5* his not being a success, stands out unlike at Oklahome or LSU type school that gets 3-4 5* player each year, the bust are not noticed as somebody just steps into their place and nobody notices

Or they're just cut to make room for the new round of 5* blue chipers

true, either way they are not missed like they are at a school like Iowa that gets a rare 5*
Larson quit FB but got his degree and moved on but he was unable to compete due to injury and surgery but people still say he is a failure which is sad
Bonecrusher who i am glad didn't get here, was a failure not on the field but a failure in public and a major headcase
who know what Doering problem was
overhyped or maybe didn't want to put in the time and work to get better

SECpeed....all I have to say...The SEC is on a different level and I am beginning to wonder if a playoff would even change anything. A team full of proles like OSU or Oregon wouldn't have even been able to see the SEC players...

In the Outback and Cap1 bowls 6+ years ago? Those were not the level of teams seen as of late coming out on top in the SEC. Not even close.

I agree that it is very difficult to get these players to northern schools like Iowa. Someone can do it though and it is not KF. He routinely loses out on some of the few top players Iowa does produce.

I kind of agree with you but that LSU team IA faced was loaded. Dwayne Boe, Joseph Addai, Jacob Hester, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Flynn, LaRon Landry, Marcus Spears, Corey Webster, etc. There were also a couple of o-linemen that have had nice NFL careers.

This year's bama team is as stout as they get on the line both ways though.

I kind of agree with you but that LSU team IA faced was loaded. Dwayne Boe, Joseph Addai, Jacob Hester, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Flynn, LaRon Landry, Marcus Spears, Corey Webster, etc. There were also a couple of o-linemen that have had nice NFL careers.

This year's bama team is as stout as they get on the line both ways though.

And that LSU team was the defending national champs, I might add. True, they obviously lost some players from the previous team so they weren't quite as good in 2004, but that wasn't exactly a bogus win for KF.

you have to remember both sides of Iowa's line were more physical than most teams
the reason for the Nic "bullies of the BT".
Iowa just needs to get back to that style of play, very physical
hit them hard enough and the speed is not that great, Sanders when he hit the wr they tended to get alligator arms
"speed kills but power kills speed"

SECpeed....all I have to say...The SEC is on a different level and I am beginning to wonder if a playoff would even change anything. A team full of proles like OSU or Oregon wouldn't have even been able to see the SEC players...

Did you watch the game last night? Those two offenses were pathetic...and it wasn't a function of great defenses. Yes, Alabama's defense looked darn good--but Iowa's defense would have looked damn good too if you have a quarterback who can't complete a pass and a coordinator using the same 3 plays out of the playbook on every series.

From what I saw in the Fiesta Bowl, I think Okie St. and Stanford could've beaten either of the teams we saw last night.

Did you watch the game last night? Those two offenses were pathetic...and it wasn't a function of great defenses. Yes, Alabama's defense looked darn good--but Iowa's defense would have looked damn good too if you have a quarterback who can't complete a pass and a coordinator using the same 3 plays out of the playbook on every series.

From what I saw in the Fiesta Bowl, I think Okie St. and Stanford could've beaten either of the teams we saw last night.

Ha, you don't need much offense when you have a defense like Alabama, it doesn't matter who you put in that game, Alabama still would have won. That defense is NFL caliber. I would be curious how many first rounders that defense produces.

Latest posts