Cal Jones Trophy

bws258

I've seen more than a few suggestions of a Jack Trice / Nile Kinnick trophy. Trust me, I love the legend of Nile Kinnick as much as the next Hawkeye, but what about a Jack Trice / Cal Jones trophy? I know I didn't know about Jones until I got older. Putting him on the trophy would be awesome.

Cal+Jones+SI.jpg

Cal Jones is the only three-time first team All-American in Iowa history. He is one of only two Iowa players to be named a consensus first team All-American twice (Larry Station). Jones was inducted into the Iowa Sports Hall of Fame in 1971 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1980. The University of Iowa retired Cal Jones' #62, one of only two players so honored (Nile Kinnick).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Jones

Last edited:
In 1955, Iowa was 3-5-1. Jones was named as a consensus first team All-American. Cal Jones also won the 1955 Outland Trophy. He was the first African-American player to win the prestigious award. Jones also finished tenth in the balloting for the Heisman Trophy, an impressive finish for a lineman.

I've seen more than a few suggestions of a Jack Trice / Nile Kinnick trophy. Trust me, I love the legend of Nile Kinnick as much as the next Hawkeye, but what about a Jack Trice / Cal Jones trophy? I know I didn't know about Jones until I got older. Putting him on the trophy would be awesome.

Cal+Jones+SI.jpg

Cal Jones is the only three-time first team All-American in Iowa history. He is one of only two Iowa players to be named a consensus first team All-American twice (Larry Station). Jones was inducted into the Iowa Sports Hall of Fame in 1971 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1980. The University of Iowa retired Cal Jones' #62, one of only two players so honored (Nile Kinnick).
Cal Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+1

I agree that Calvin Jones should be honored in some way by Iowa. Nile has the stadium and the statue,rightfully so,but Calvin should get something to mark his great career,which was groundbreaking in its own way. Teaming him up with Trice makes sense as Trice also was a pioneer of sorts.
But, the corn belt thing seems ok also.

I've seen more than a few suggestions of a Jack Trice / Nile Kinnick trophy. Trust me, I love the legend of Nile Kinnick as much as the next Hawkeye, but what about a Jack Trice / Cal Jones trophy? I
Not a bad Idea. Trice was the first Black to play at ISU. I believe you have to go way way back further to find our first African American named ozzie Simmons?

Nile Kinnick is the single most recognizable and greatest player to ever play football at Iowa. He is the only player from Iowa to win the Heisman trophy. He is one of two Iowa players to win the Maxwell Award (Chuck Long). Nile was born and raised in Iowa.

I'm not saying he or anyone else needs to be on the trophy but if you're going to put somebody on there why would it be anyone but Nile?

The only real connection between Trice and Kinnick is that they both died young. Trice only played in one football game and died on the train ride back to Ames.

I agree that Calvin Jones should be honored in some way by Iowa. Nile has the stadium and the statue,rightfully so,but Calvin should get something to mark his great career,which was groundbreaking in its own way. Teaming him up with Trice makes sense as Trice also was a pioneer of sorts.
But, the corn belt thing seems ok also.
He does have his number retired. That's a pretty big deal considering Kinnick is the only other player with that honor.
That said, a statue would probably be appropriate. If nothing else, it would help people from the younger generations to remember him. Or, at least display #62 some place prominently in Kinnick Stadium. Honestly, if I hadn't done some searching for a State of Iowa Sports Mount Rushmore a month or so ago, I would have never heard of him until now. Considering his accomplishments, that's a bit sad.

Latest posts