Caitlin Clark Declares for WNBA Draft

Besides a National Title, I would agree. But, they may or may not happen this year...even if she would have come back next year. It will be interesting to see if the interest will carry over to the WNBA.

Women's Ball at the College Level returns to not must see TV....outside of the East Coast Blue Bloods.
I don’t know about that. I think the Caitlin “effect” will resonate for a few years to come.

But will there be another CC?

Maybe a couple generations from now!

She never took a dime from the swarm collective. All the money she made was through her own endorsement deals, like State Farm, Nike, Hy-Vee, Gatorade, Buick, H&R Block.

That's not The Vine and The Wig & Pen, no offense to those fine establishments.

CC IS the brand. She will raise the profile of the WNBA, thus increasing her salary in that league. She can play overseas during the WNBA offseason and she will add more endorsement deals to the ones she has.

I think the state of Iowa should completely shun her after this decision. Seriously, what has she done for Iowa anyway?

She never took a dime from the swarm collective. All the money she made was through her own endorsement deals, like State Farm, Nike, Hy-Vee, Gatorade, Buick, H&R Block.

That's not The Vine and The Wig & Pen, no offense to those fine establishments.

CC IS the brand. She will raise the profile of the WNBA, thus increasing her salary in that league. She can play overseas during the WNBA offseason and she will add more endorsement deals to the ones she has.
Just don't go play in Russia.

I highly doubt money played much of a role in her decision. With endorsements, she will meet or surpass anything she is receiving via NIL, and a lot of those very same companies almost certainly will continue their current contracts with some modifications.

I thought about it a lot last night, and pondered what I would do in her position. Obviously, I'm not in her head, but if it was me I would want my legacy to be 4 years.

I know some are predicting that we won't see an asterisk next to the statistics but my guess is we will on most data boards. I wouldn't want my legacy of amazing accomplishments to (potentially) be tarnished by an eternal asterisk. Those in the know are aware that she accomplished the records in 4 seasons, but that may not be common knowledge 30 years from now.

Either way, she is ending up in the WNBA. Why not cement your legacy at the standard 4 years? With a 5th year she would put those records in the stratosphere, but always hear the, "Yeah, but..."

I highly doubt money played much of a role in her decision. With endorsements, she will meet or surpass anything she is receiving via NIL, and a lot of those very same companies almost certainly will continue their current contracts with some modifications.

I thought about it a lot last night, and pondered what I would do in her position. Obviously, I'm not in her head, but if it was me I would want my legacy to be 4 years.

I know some are predicting that we won't see an asterisk next to the statistics but my guess is we will on most data boards. I wouldn't want my legacy of amazing accomplishments to (potentially) be tarnished by an eternal asterisk. Those in the know are aware that she accomplished the records in 4 seasons, but that may not be common knowledge 30 years from now.

Either way, she is ending up in the WNBA. Why not cement your legacy at the standard 4 years? With a 5th year she would put those records in the stratosphere, but always hear the, "Yeah, but..."
With all of the pros and cons of leaving or staying, it's unfortunate (and understandable) if astricts next to records was a deciding factor. If it was me, the records would definitely bother me some. But imagine if the best high school player on the team as a senior still played on the JV team and destroyed the competition. That's basically what she would be doing. That would probably bother me more if I was in her shoes.

It is her life and she makes the decisions. We will miss her for sure. But I like the players we have and hope we can attract more outstanding players in the future. Go Hawks.

I guess I can understand the desire to take her game to the next level. That might be more important to her than all-time scoring records or Big Ten/NCAA championships.

It would be cool though if Clark and her Iowa teammates can put together one final run to another final 4. TV ratings and ticket prices would be huge. Can you imagine if the final 4 has Iowa, South Carolina and LSU again?

But if doesn't happen, I guess Clark is content to walk away. She's ready to move on to the next stage.

Fox Sports considered working with other TV networks to offer Caitlin Clark a huge NIL deal to stay at Iowa.
too late. They should’ve figure something out 4 months ago if they were going to try this move. Heck, every big10 school should’ve collaborated and agree to give Clark 50% of all ticket sales over their season average attendance for their home games against Iowa. Let’s just say every big10 team averaged 4,000 more ticket sales when Iowa came to town and the average ticket was only $30/ticket. With 50% going to Clark that would be $60k per away game for Clark x 9 away games = $540k. So big10 schools would be making more revenue plus trying to keep Clark in the b10 another year. Any effort now after she’s announced a decision is too little too late.

What the WNBA needs is a long-term Magic/Bird-type of rivalry.

Reese/Clark x10 years would heighten awareness.

Vegas WNBA team just announced their 1st ever season ticket sellout. No matter what Caitlin does in her pro career, she's already made women's basketball a hot ticket at college and pro levels.

They're saying the TV rights come up late next year so perfect timing for them.

Vegas WNBA team just announced their 1st ever season ticket sellout. No matter what Caitlin does in her pro career, she's already made women's basketball a hot ticket at college and pro levels.

They're saying the TV rights come up late next year so perfect timing for them.
You got to wonder if the WNBA should expand their season to start earlier in the year.

Gotta love the Fever social media.
Within minutes of Clark's announcement, they had a post with a generic stylized image post of a generic swirlyness of their team colors. Something to the effect of "Just a reminder, the WNBA draft is in 41 days and The Fever have the #1 overall pick."

I took a screenshot of the Fever FB page at that moment.
161k followers
One week later...

(checks new notes...)

They're now at 173k

If the Fever was an Instagram influencer, that's $120 more dollars per post. Just one post a day, $43,800 dollars. Not that that's what they're doing. But if in theory, her (not-even-official-yet) association with the Fever, that hasn't even started.....is worth $43800 more a year from something that has nothing to do with any revenue the team generates from actually playing basketball. I have no doubt that there is *some* correlation between social media followers and total revenue.

Latest posts