Cade's first interview as a Hawkeye

Interesting… hope his comments on opening up the offense isn’t just smoke and mirrors from coaches

The best Ferentz years were with players that didn't really fit what KF wanted. So I'm optimistic.

Penix had a great year after a knee injury and ACL surgery. ACL's are the part of the knee about most easily fixed. I can't find where they've said anything about this injury other than "significant" and it seems M didn't think it was really fixable to play at a high level. Have my doubts.

I hope he doesn't get brutalized like CJ. He's not going to move like Banks.

The best Ferentz years were with players that didn't really fit what KF wanted. So I'm optimistic.

Penix had a great year after a knee injury and ACL surgery. ACL's are the part of the knee about most easily fixed. I can't find where they've said anything about this injury other than "significant" and it seems M didn't think it was really fixable to play at a high level. Have my doubts.

I hope he doesn't get brutalized like CJ. He's not going to move like Banks.
Yeah it doesn't matter if he can move like Michael Vick if the Oline doesn't improve.

ACL alone isn't a big deal. When the ACL is torn, sometimes there is minimal movement in the knee, therefore good outcomes.

However, significant injuries such as impact/hyperextension involve other ligaments, meniscus and cartilage.

Meniscal tears depend on severity and type. A bucket handle tear is really hard to deal with.

The PCL and MCL don't respond much/well to surgery. Some players can play well with a PCL tear and a brace (which takes getting used to). The posterior lateral corner is really hard to deal with and keep knee movement from happening.

The combo of a PCL and PLC make it really hard to keep knee integrity. It in a sense is like learning to walk again. Your foot likely doesn't come down in the same place due to changes, especially if the meniscus is involved. They no longer routinely go in and scope it out (clean up) as there are repairs that can be done, but none of that can really fix things to the point where you can do things at a high level. Playing with cleats on nongiving surfaces will be hard. Planting for throwing is hard.

They haven't really announced what was done to the knee. It can be life-changing.

I am mostly interested in WHO will be opening it up.
Maybe there will schematic improvements on offense. I'm hoping.

But we heard the same shit last offseason, and I've heard it for years covering quarterbacks Iowa has recruited.

I'm believe it when I see it.

Where do you put the odds of an offseason offensive coordinator change? 0% or 0.1%?

But we heard the same shit last offseason, and I've heard it for years covering quarterbacks Iowa has recruited.

I am the same boat of show me, but KF has taken long looks at the mirror in the past and made structural changes to his program. Switching to mostly CASH, practices in the morning, loosening up social media, addressing (some) coaches who were treating players badly, allowing Davis to do whatever Davis was trying to do. Not saying all these have been good or bad, just saying he has made structural changes in the past when faced with a roadblock to success. KF believes in his way of doing things, but he is not so set in his ways that he would rather lose than change.

I believe the biggest change the offense needs is not OC or play calling, but changing the primary blocking scheme to drive blocking.

With the return of Britt and addition of Proctor, this line could be one of the bigger OLs in the country. The returning guys have demonstrated that they are not the most athletic and fleet of foot. They are big and they can maul, but they just do not appear athletic enough to consistently make zone blocking work. There are just too many negative plays. So, let them maul! Line up, and drive block the dude in front of you. Scheme to the talent you have.

I am the same boat of show me, but KF has taken long looks at the mirror in the past and made structural changes to his program. Switching to mostly CASH, practices in the morning, loosening up social media, addressing (some) coaches who were treating players badly, allowing Davis to do whatever Davis was trying to do. Not saying all these have been good or bad, just saying he has made structural changes in the past when faced with a roadblock to success. KF believes in his way of doing things, but he is not so set in his ways that he would rather lose than change.

I believe the biggest change the offense needs is not OC or play calling, but changing the primary blocking scheme to drive blocking.

With the return of Britt and addition of Proctor, this line could be one of the bigger OLs in the country. The returning guys have demonstrated that they are not the most athletic and fleet of foot. They are big and they can maul, but they just do not appear athletic enough to consistently make zone blocking work. There are just too many negative plays. So, let them maul! Line up, and drive block the dude in front of you. Scheme to the talent you have.
Agreed. Britt will help a lot. Need a tackle for sure and need development across the board. They were young so should see a much better squad next year I’d think

At about 36 minutes Cade raves about the Iowa defense and talks about Iowa being setup well for a B1G championship.
At 37:30 he talks about Iowa's offensive struggles and his ability to improve it.
At 39:00 vagaries about more guys in the portal, and the coaches wanting to "open up" the offense.
"In the past they (Iowa) have been carried by their defense. They want to flip the script on that."
At 47:30 Cade is unable to name Iowa's one Heisman winner (he will learn).

Last edited:
2017 OSU game was an aberration. IMO, the 2019 Holiday Bowl is what they wanted to do on offense. Yes, Clay Helton was dead man walking and the SC defense was garbage, but you could see what they were doing and having success with. They were never able to build upon that, in fact, it just regressed back to the norm.

At about 36 minutes Cade raves about the Iowa defense and talks about Iowa being setup well for a B1G championship.
At 37:30 he talks about Iowa's offensive struggles and his ability to improve it.
At 39:00 vagaries about more guys in the portal, and the coaches wanting to "open up" the offense.
"In the past they (Iowa) have been carried by their defense. They want to flip the script on that."
At 47:30 Cade is unable to name Iowa's one Heisman winner (he will learn).
Are you changing your name?

Love his attitude, even if it might not come to pass. He is all about changing attitudes, outworking the opposition, and being competitive. Kirk might adopt him. A skilled highly motivated player who is all in. He did say Iowa has the talent to win on campus. Was this before the portal stampede? He better convince a few guys to join him at the U of I.

What amazed me was how most Iowa media members were buying that load during the last off-season. As if "getting the ball out of the QB's hands quicker" was going to solve that offense's problems. I just rolled my eyes when I read that during the summer. It was just 'true confession time' that they had neither the QB nor the WRs to throw deep.

I am a big fan of zone blocking schemes. But, you may be right about playing to our O line‘s strengths. Coaching Point: Do not ask players to do something they can’t do.