C McCaffery Update

I don't disagree, but where is Iowa going to get a scholarship? We didn't have one for CM to begin with

Sometimes, you look back and see what happened and realize what the smart thing to do would have been, hindsight being 20/20 and all. Every once in a while, you look forward and see the same thing is going to happen, so you do what you should have done in the first place.

It's obvious the 1 & 2 spots are pretty crowded with JBo, CW, Moss, and Brady. I'm not saying he will, but maybe he'll take the red-shirt this year as he probably won't get anymore playing time than he did this year.

Pure speculation on my part and just my $.02.

GO HAWKS!!!

Your right. My math was off. I just recounted and we are using 11 of 13 assuming Riley Till is not on scholarship. All along I thought if Jones transfered we would have 3 available. This is even stickier than I originally believed. I guess Connor could still walk on.

As for connor playing pro baseball, I don't think he will get drafted this summer. If I recall his batting average was under 400. I would assume like most sports you have to be way above a good college performer to get drafted. (i.e. maybe 450-500) Am I wrong here?

I just listened to a recent podcast with Fran and he was asked about the Connor situation. Some interesting tidbits in there. Fran said that Connor has not made a decision yet, but is getting very close.

After listening, I'll maintain what I've said all along, that I don't think CM will be playing basketball at Iowa next year.

I don't have a transcript so I'm just paraphrasing here but I believe FM said something like: if he goes to Iowa next year he will probably focus on baseball exclusively and get to basketball down the road.

I really think a baseball prep school will be the route and he will walk on to the basketball team the following year at Iowa and have three years to play with his brother.

Here is a link for your own interpretation. I think that discussion is around the 25 minute mark.
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-302350582/fran-mccaffery-talks-iowa-basketball

Fran did say that Connor wants to play Heller ball. My guess is that he takes on baseball 100% at Iowa his freshman year. Then redshirts the basketball season... He'll still train & practice with the basketball team. Along with joining them for games on the bench.

I think if he takes a scholarship for baseball and then plays basketball too it counts against both programs scholarship numbers. Could be wrong.

I think if he takes a scholarship for baseball and then plays basketball too it counts against both programs scholarship numbers. Could be wrong.

I don't believe that to be true, but I also could be wrong.

Either way I think you are getting way to caught up in this whole scholarship thing. IMO Fran has basically said he is willing to pay for CM's tuition out of pocket, at least for the first year.

At this point I think it is a pretty safe bet to conclude that CM will not be counting against our scholarship count for next year, as we don't have any available scholarships. Whether that means he's on the team or not is another topic in itself.

Whether a scholarship opens up down the road for CM is also another question, but Fran is flexible and will likely do what's in the greatest interest of the program.

I've heard this as well. It has to do with offering someone a "track scholarship" and then having him walk on to the football/basketball team. (I only used track as an example.)

Where it might get muddy is if CM gets a partial for baseball and wants to play basketball. I'm not sure how that would work.

GO HAWKS!!!

Latest posts