C McCaffery Update

NikeHawk21

I just listened to a recent podcast with Fran and he was asked about the Connor situation. Some interesting tidbits in there. Fran said that Connor has not made a decision yet, but is getting very close.

After listening, I'll maintain what I've said all along, that I don't think CM will be playing basketball at Iowa next year.

I don't have a transcript so I'm just paraphrasing here but I believe FM said something like: if he goes to Iowa next year he will probably focus on baseball exclusively and get to basketball down the road.

I really think a baseball prep school will be the route and he will walk on to the basketball team the following year at Iowa and have three years to play with his brother.

Here is a link for your own interpretation. I think that discussion is around the 25 minute mark.
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-302350582/fran-mccaffery-talks-iowa-basketball

That's interesting... I was hoping he'd play hoops. It's not a crazy big surprise if he goes with baseball. When is the MLB draft? Isn't there a chance of him getting drafted also and that having an impact on what he might do? I think it's during the summer right after the college season in July if I remember right.

That's interesting... I was hoping he'd play hoops. It's not a crazy big surprise if he goes with baseball. When is the MLB draft? Isn't there a chance of him getting drafted also and that having an impact on what he might do? I think it's during the summer right after the college season in July if I remember right.

MLB draft is June 12, 2017.

I just don't like the idea of a kid playing multiple sports in college. Unless maybe one of those sports is track. Baseball and Basketball have become year round things in college where if you're not working on improving your game in the offseason you're going to fall behind.

Plus, you know, you're supposed to be there to study and earn a degree and blah blah student-athlete.

Interesting. So, CM basically killed our guard recruiting for the past 2 years and he isn't even going to play for us? SMDH.

Glad CW is staying.........more importantly, Moss has to take the next step.

Glad CW is staying.........more importantly, Moss has to take the next step.
Amen. If Moss can make a significant leap in consistent production we'll be really really tough. He doesn't have to go for 15 and 5 and 3 every game. But the games where he completely disappears after the first 5 mins of the game have to stop.

I just listened to a recent podcast with Fran and he was asked about the Connor situation. Some interesting tidbits in there. Fran said that Connor has not made a decision yet, but is getting very close.

After listening, I'll maintain what I've said all along, that I don't think CM will be playing basketball at Iowa next year.

I don't have a transcript so I'm just paraphrasing here but I believe FM said something like: if he goes to Iowa next year he will probably focus on baseball exclusively and get to basketball down the road.

I really think a baseball prep school will be the route and he will walk on to the basketball team the following year at Iowa and have three years to play with his brother.

Here is a link for your own interpretation. I think that discussion is around the 25 minute mark.
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-302350582/fran-mccaffery-talks-iowa-basketball

That is certainly a back pedal from his previous statements. It is possible that Connor is getting more vocal with these decisions. If he doesn't play basketball it will be a shame. There were 2 recruiting cycles that Connor was committed through, but probably only 1 that his commitment could or should have effected. If Connor doesn't come next year, that does leave an open scholarship. It will be a critical piece of coaching for Fran to use that scholarship well. It would be complete BS to bank it in hopes Connor comes to play basketball in year 2. Fran needs to lock down a transfer or a real late steal before signing day. If this goes south this could be a lasting blemish on Fran's tenure at Iowa.

P.S. getting a solid grad transfer guard would be an ideal solution.

.. .. .. P.S. getting a solid grad transfer guard would be an ideal solution.
I don't disagree, but where is Iowa going to get a scholarship? We didn't have one for CM to begin with.

He refused to redshirt his freshman year. Why would he agree to it now?
Sometimes, you look back and see what happened and realize what the smart thing to do would have been, hindsight being 20/20 and all. Every once in a while, you look forward and see the same thing is going to happen, so you do what you should have done in the first place.

It's obvious the 1 & 2 spots are pretty crowded with JBo, CW, Moss, and Brady. I'm not saying he will, but maybe he'll take the red-shirt this year as he probably won't get anymore playing time than he did this year.

Pure speculation on my part and just my $.02.

GO HAWKS!!!

Latest posts