BYU Leaving Mountain West?

KKHawk1

I am listening to Rivals Radio on Sirius and they are reporting that BYU is going to leave the MWC to become an independent. The thought is that they want an easier way to a BCS game. Supposedly, they already have an agreement in place to have the same stipulations that Notre Dame has now...making it much easier for the BYU to get into a BCS game and help recruiting. Although, does anyone really go there that's not Mormon?

Word on the street is the original source is the Colorado State twitter account. It appears as though that twitter account has been hacked and the fine folks at Colorado State can't log in.

I can't imagine that the MW would let them remain in the the conference for the rest of the sports? Why would they do that? After losing Utah and now BYU, that is basically the top two teams in the conference (other than TCU in football). The Utah schools were the top two schools in in all the sports. Losing them will basically trash the conference IMO. The conference needs to kick BYU completely out of the conference if they go independent in football because the conference will have nothing to gain by them staying for the other sports.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense to me. Why would the BCS grant BYU the same stipulatiosn as ND? Every other BCS conference and school would probably get prety ****** about that. I would suspect a hacked false report from Colo St may be more likely.

As for recrutiing non-Mormons, didn't McMahon from the Bears go to BYU? I thought I had heard some stories about him tearing it up on campus and they looked the other way for the most part while he was there but soon as he was gone they were through with him - haven't inducted him into their HOF and wouldn't even let him come back and finish his degree after his NFL days or something like that.

If this is true, Boise is getting completely screwed. First Utah, now BYU? What's the point of switching from one crap conference to another?

That makes a ton of sense. Why would BYU announce this 2 weeks before the season? Why would another schools Twitter account announce a rivals departure from the conference. That would be like Jon announcing Illinois was leaving the Big 10 for the Ohio Valley Conference (which they should do). The hacking of social networking sites is going to make a lot of "legitimate" news services look foolish...and I will love it.

If this is true, Boise is getting completely screwed. First Utah, now BYU? What's the point of switching from one crap conference to another?

Did Boise try to join the pac 10?

If they didn't fight tooth and nail to get into that conference they have no room to complain about getting passed over.

Did Boise try to join the pac 10?

If they didn't fight tooth and nail to get into that conference they have no room to complain about getting passed over.

During the conference realignment fiasco, they said that the Pac 10 didn't want Boise

Who's they? The pac 10 or Boise?

The Pac-10. Boise St brings absolutely nothing to the Pac-10 except a solid football team now, and who knows how long that will last. They are in a very small market, a below average academic school, and have no success in other sport besides football.

The MWC is still better than the WAC for Boise St. So while it does suck for them that Utah and possibly BYU are gone, overall it is still a much more solid conference and also has considerably less travel than the WAC.

The Pac-10. Boise St brings absolutely nothing to the Pac-10 except a solid football team now, and who knows how long that will last. They are in a very small market, a below average academic school, and have no success in other sport besides football.

The MWC is still better than the WAC for Boise St. So while it does suck for them that Utah and possibly BYU are gone, overall it is still a much more solid conference and also has considerably less travel than the WAC.

Gotcha.

I guess they still have TCU, Airforce and possibly BYU. Still not a powerhouse by any means but definitely an improvement in SOS

Last edited:
All of the news sources. It was the only talk for a solid two weeks on talk radio and all of the reports said that the PAC 10 didn't want Boise. I think it was a smart move.

I just meant who didn't want who. But yeah i got it now, and it makes sense.

Sources: BYU closing in on football independence, joining WAC for other sports - ESPN

Says BYU will play all other sports in WAC and go independent in football. I think it's possibile positioning themselves to jump to a BCS conf when all hell breaks loose again in the next couple years. If that happens this makes the MWC even a crappier parachute landing for ISU, when the Texas Ten eventually breaks up. Without Utah or BYU, basically becomes what the WAC was last year with Boise. I wonder if this gets conf reallignments talking going again?

As I have said for awhile. I think they should make an All-Saints League with
ND
SMU
TCU
BYU
BC
Army
Navy
Air Force

What about byu and TCU joining the big ten!!!! We could have recruit Texas more that would be huge, and BYU national brand name would drive the big ten network value up!!!

What about byu and TCU joining the big ten!!!! We could have recruit Texas more that would be huge, and BYU national brand name would drive the big ten network value up!!!

Take the pipe out of your mouth now and you might come down enough to make it to class next week.

Then the MWC offers Nevada and Fresno State to join the MWC. If they would join the MWC and it sounds like they accepted, and Boise St accepted and actually joins, then BYU would have a pretty bad conference for the rest of their sports, especially their BB, which has always been pretty strong nationally. That would mean BYU has sold out all of their other sports just for football. They may have just shot themselves in the foot because I can't imagine the BCS has given them a guarantee that they will get the same deal that ND has or do they plan to sue the BCS if not given the same deal?

I also imagine scheduling will be very difficult. Will BCS schools give them a one and one or will major BCS schools expect a two and one deal? I don't know how many people fill BYUs stadium but they had better pack a lot of people into their stadium to expect a one and one. 45,000 is not going to get one and one deals from schools that average 70,000 to 100,000 fans per game. Plus does BYU have the national following or TV draw to make it worth playing BYU?

For instance, would it be worth it for Iowa to play BYU? I don't think so because Iowa doesn't recruit the Utah area. It would be worth it to play ND. Why would major BCS teams east or just west of the Mississippi River want to play BYU? Why would it be worth their time? I think BYU has an overinflated image and importance of itself to be honest. To make going independent worth their time, they will HAVE to play major BCS teams to even hope to get the same deal that ND has and even then I'm not sure they will get the same deal.

If they do get the same type of schedule but don't get the same deal, what then?

Latest posts