BYU Goes Independent for FBall Joins WCC for BBall

Maybe BYU and the Domers will end up with a 2 team conference and play an 11 game season all against each other.

OK tell me what I am missing here....There is all the talk that ND cannot sustain being an independent in football because they are missing out on money and could get left behind if conference's start to add more teams again. Now BYU goes independent...how in the world do they think they will survive as an independent but ND won't? Who outside of Utah is going to pay to have a channel that shows BYU athletics? Seriously?

OK tell me what I am missing here....There is all the talk that ND cannot sustain being an independent in football because they are missing out on money and could get left behind if conference's start to add more teams again. Now BYU goes independent...how in the world do they think they will survive as an independent but ND won't? Who outside of Utah is going to pay to have a channel that shows BYU athletics? Seriously?

Unfortunately, I have to. It's part of my DirecTV package. :mad:

Unfortunately, I have to. It's part of my DirecTV package. :mad:

Well that sucks for you! I do feel your pain. I have to pay for the KC Royals TV Network being that I live in KC. That just might be more painful. That is up for debate for sure.

ESPN. BYU will make a lot more off of their deal with ESPN than they did off of the MWC's network and their deal with VS.

It is easy to see what BYU is doing...play an easy schedule (like Boise), play a couple of hard games against BCS opponents (but not the top teams), win those games, play your conference, schedule plenty of cupcakes and win all of those, finish 10-2, 11-1, or undefeated and expect to be in a BCS bowl every year and or expect the same treatment that the dummers get. Of course they just threw away the rest of their sports...they will win their league every year in BB and go to the NCAA tournament but I'm not sure what kind of seed they will get (although they will expect a great seed of course).

just on ESPN...BYU has their own network that is already in 50million homes across the country...This is from Trevor Maddage (sp?) ESPN college football analyst, who is a BYU alum so take it for what its worth. If this is the case it is easy to see why they would want to make this move. currently the MWC games are difficult to find on most cable packages, at least in my experience. BYU has their own network, but cannot put their football games on there because of conference effiliation.

It is easy to see what BYU is doing...play an easy schedule (like Boise), play a couple of hard games against BCS opponents (but not the top teams), win those games, play your conference, schedule plenty of cupcakes and win all of those, finish 10-2, 11-1, or undefeated and expect to be in a BCS bowl every year and or expect the same treatment that the dummers get. Of course they just threw away the rest of their sports...they will win their league every year in BB and go to the NCAA tournament but I'm not sure what kind of seed they will get (although they will expect a great seed of course).

They won't have a cake walk to winning that conference in basketball every year. Gonzaga and St. Mary's both have solid programs who can hold their own against anyone.

Latest posts