Butler 4th Best RB

You didn't need to see a ton of games a few years back to know Wadley was special. Same with IKM. It's pretty obvious who has the better burst, vision, and honestly tackle-breaking ability. Our line was once again less than impressive. It wasn't like the line was opening massive holes for IKM. The guy was finding tiny holes, and hitting them hard. At the 2nd level he is really tough to get on the ground. No slight to Butler as he's serviceable, but IKM is special. That did not look like a true freshman out there.
Yeah we'll just have to see about IKM. I agree there's nothing not to love about the small sample we've seen so far. With him wearing the same number as Albert Young he kinda reminds me of him body style wise but faster. He wasn't a speedster either. I just want to temper the brakes a little as that he was playing against a dead dog tired D in the 4th q there. Sometimes a slow D can make a back look a little faster/quicker/stronger then even they might be.

On a side note I wonder why teams that might have depth at RB might not do what inadvertently happened here. And that is put a fast fresh RB in the game late against a dead dog tired D. As good as Wadley is or pick your stud bell cow RB if they've had 20 plus touches going into the 4th Q of a game when it's 90 plus degrees on the field no less why not put a fresher RB out there? Your own RB isn't going to be the same in 4th qs either in those situations. We had 3 rbs with over 70 yards rushing in that game and Wadley wasn't one of them (he did have 80 receiving though) Such an odd game...

I get what everyone was saying about the tired D...but you are also comparing what he looks like to other backs that are in the game too. He just made quicker cuts and had a burst that was evident...and when he got to contact...guys were going backward on the defense. The second TD run was his most impressive, cut and explode and he got their with some load and power. Let's see how he looks against Penn State...he will get carries.

Butler still has problems picking up the blocks. Which may be the same problem for the other two. Young and Ivory look like they are going to be a nice tandem next year.

What's up with Akinribade?

Yes, that is the question. How are Young and IKM picking up blitzes etc. The hawks were running the ball heavy when those two were playing yesterday. How are they at receiving.

Not ready to give up on Butler but Butler should not be running laterally as that is a bad play call.

Butler looks good inside the tackles although he has missed an occasional cut (easy for me to say watching on tv or in the stands)

How are Young and IKM picking up blitzes etc. The hawks were running the ball heavy when those two were playing yesterday.

This was my #1 thought after it happened. I even posted something in the game thread, fully expecting Iowa to go into a shell and try to speed up the game with rushing plays and defense.

Toren Young...step right up. Need to figure out way to protect Stanley with young RB in game...

Re: Butler, big ups to him for the hustle play on that strip sack on Stanley, chasing down the NT big man, popping the ball out and then recovering it. Even though we did nothing with it and then played ole defense on the ensuing drive to go into the half with a deficit, it still was a great individual effort.

I can't say the same for Keegan Render on that play...not impressed. I realize he probably thought it was an incomplete pass, but there was no whistle. I feel like he's been coached better than that, so that was disappointing.

The back up backs have different styles. The D was set up to stop Wadley and Butler. Plus the D was gassed. No doubt though they might be better.

The future looks bright at RB. I like the idea of bringing in IKM later in the game against a worn down defense.
Toren is not going to be a typical bruising Iowa big back, he has an extra gear that the previous big backs lacked.

All that said, before he went down, Butler was picking steam and really starting to run well.

I will say, I think the line was finally starting to block better in the late 3rd quarter and in the 4th.

Yes, that is the question. How are Young and IKM picking up blitzes etc. The hawks were running the ball heavy when those two were playing yesterday. How are they at receiving.

Not ready to give up on Butler but Butler should not be running laterally as that is a bad play call.

Butler looks good inside the tackles although he has missed an occasional cut (easy for me to say watching on tv or in the stands)
No special information but I doubt we're going to see Butler for at least another 6 weeks.

I thought butler was supposed to be a stud catching the ball out of the backfield but I don't think he has a catch this year does he?

Either way we're going to need everyone we can get for Penn State

I thought butler was supposed to be a stud catching the ball out of the backfield but I don't think he has a catch this year does he?

Either way we're going to need everyone we can get for Penn State

Butler caught one pass for good yards against ISU. He just hasnt been targeted. On Easley's long TD catch against Wyoming Butler was wide open about 5-10 yards downfield and would have been an easy dump off and big gain.

I don't know if he's 4th best, but IKM and TY need to see the field. Wadley has been outstanding as a short pass receiver. They need to really up his pass receptions and use IKM on more runs. Wadley is deadly on those wheel routes.

If they have any hope against PSU, wadley needs to be in space.

...On a side note I wonder why teams that might have depth at RB might not do what inadvertently happened here....
That has been Whisky's and Sparty's M.O. in years past. Wait until the 4th quarter and then some freshman RB you have never (or barely) heard of before comes in and torches the tired defense.

IKM and T. Young were fantastic, but I'm still a fan of Butler.
That play where he caused the fumble was amazing. He brings Senior-leadership and intangibles that I want on the field.
If it's 3rd and 3 and the season is on the one - I give it to Butler knowing he'll deliver when we need him most.

That has been Whisky's and Sparty's M.O. in years past. Wait until the 4th quarter and then some freshman RB you have never (or barely) heard of before comes in and torches the tired defense.
It makes sense to me to do it... Especially if you have confidence in them to not fumble and play well.

I can't say the same for Keegan Render on that play...not impressed. I realize he probably thought it was an incomplete pass, but there was no whistle. I feel like he's been coached better than that, so that was disappointing.
watch the play again and you can see he thought it was a pass because he tried to swat the ball to the ground. He was coached to do that. The whistle doesn't happen when the ball touches the ground. It takes a second. By that time he's not in a position to make a play on the ball.

It was a mistake. An understandable one.

watch the play again and you can see he thought it was a pass because he tried to swat the ball to the ground. He was coached to do that. The whistle doesn't happen when the ball touches the ground. It takes a second. By that time he's not in a position to make a play on the ball.

It was a mistake. An understandable one.
I would agree that he tried to bat the ball down. Upon a second look that definitely was the case, so he did think it was an incomplete pass. However, the ref's bean bag almost hit him indicating a ball on the ground, there was no whistle indicating a stoppage in play and after he did realize it was a "play on" situation, he made a reach for the defender unsuccessfully. Even if I give him all of the benefits of the doubt on the first couple of points, I can't defend his action (inaction) after the defender eluded his grasp. No effort to chase down the play at all; in fact, I'm not even sure he gets in the camera shot. From a coaching perspective, in film study this morning, I have a feeling he may have heard something about that.

Latest posts