Burning the Redshirt on Running Backs

hawkincal

I see plenty of posts noting how the coaching staff or various fans don't want to burn the redshirt for Jordan Canzieri this season.

While I get that Jordan may not be ready to play this season (don't have any insider information on how he practices), I just don't buy the argument that by redshirting him in 2011, that Jordan will pay big dividends in 2015 (as a 5th year Senior).

I looked up the recruiting of running backs since Kirk Ferentz took over as head coach. From 1999-2011, Kirk's staff has recruited 22 Freshmen running backs (not counting a juco like Guillory). To this point in time, only one recruited running back (Albert Young) redshirted his first season, then played as a 5th year Senior. In Albert's case, while he redshirted as a FR. in 2003, he went out with a season ending knee injury in the 2nd game of the 2004 season (which would have qualified him for a medical redshirt had he not already redshirted the previous year).

The last Iowa recruited running back to redshirt his first year on campus, then play RB for the next four years (including as a 5th year Senior) was Ladell Betts (a Hayden Fry recruit).

Given the high rate of injury at the running back position, combined with considerable attrition that occurs at the position in the Iowa program, I just don't get the why people are so hesitant to take the redshirt off a Freshman running back.

I see plenty of posts noting how the coaching staff or various fans don't want to burn the redshirt for Jordan Canzieri this season.

While I get that Jordan may not be ready to play this season (don't have any insider information on how he practices), I just don't buy the argument that by redshirting him in 2011, that Jordan will pay big dividends in 2015 (as a 5th year Senior).

I looked up the recruiting of running backs since Kirk Ferentz took over as head coach. From 1999-2011, Kirk's staff has recruited 22 Freshmen running backs (not counting a juco like Guillory). To this point in time, only one recruited running back (Albert Young) redshirted his first season, then played as a 5th year Senior. In Albert's case, while he redshirted as a FR. in 2003, he went out with a season ending knee injury in the 2nd game of the 2004 season (which would have qualified him for a medical redshirt had he not
already redshirted the previous year).

Given the high rate of injury at the running back position, combined with considerable attrition that occurs at the position in the Iowa program, I just don't get the why people are so hesitant to take the redshirt off a Freshman running back.

Good point! If a player is good enough to help the team then play him. There's no guarantee that player will be on the team next year or the following year or the following year let alone in four years.

It's all about winning today, not tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's a very good point, and I agree with you, except if they are not big enough or ready and it won't help the team then I say red shirt them and get 2 or 3 years out of them when they are ready.

If Canzeri were to play this year if he wasn't phyiscally ready for the hits or blocking, and he were to get hurt he would miss valuable practice and training time which would set him back the next year. I'd rather have him play when he is ready to contribute even if he doesn't stay all 5 years.

I have mixed feelings on this. Do you "burn" a redshirt for someone to get "valuable" experience on ST, for instance? It's not like ST translates to position play, yet...it IS a very important part of the game, especially for IOWA (historically). Does having a Jordan Canzeri doing nothing but return kicks make sense, especially since KO and punt returns can yield big-time injuries?

Tough to say, and I really think only the staff can evaluate that.

Latest posts